PDA

View Full Version : pi and lateralus

regal lover
09-03-2003, 12:26 PM
i was watching pi with the aronofsky commentary and he was explaining that they viewed pi as the science fiction of conciousness

and then after the old mathematician found THE code that connects everything (an explaination of Conciousness? i think) he dies and on the the GO board that him and max played with there was a spiral shape. this made me think of tool and lateralus. Does to swing on the spiral of our own divinity mean to understand conciousness and if so is this detrimental or benificial to our experience of life. Is it merely a madenning quest for an easier dominion over our own lives in the moment masqueraded by a virtue of seeking truth and need for evolution or will it actually be helpful to mankind and aid our progression? I honestly don't know

any thoughts

Jonzard
09-04-2003, 02:04 PM
well i dont think that the movie and the song are directly connected.... but they definately are from the fibonacci sequencec and whatnot.
A similar ancestor perhaps is a way of putting it.

regal lover
09-05-2003, 07:25 PM
i had a shit load of stuff wrote but i fucked my computer up and lost it! maybe ill write it again but not now so here is a quick list of all the connections that i see between pi and lateralus(there is no meaning in the blanks im just lazy but efficient if you know what i mean he he he)

"Black and white .......infinite possibilities..........lines of reason"

pi- "my mum told me not to look at the sun so I did ............ i understood"

"over thinking ......withering my intuition"

pi- sol to max when playing GO "dont think too much use your intuition"

"i must feed my will to feel my moment ..way outside the line"

pi-the story about the mathematician who defies his own logic by taking a bath but discovers the answer while doing so

"i embrace my desire...........swing on the spiral of our own divinity"

pi-max to the stock market woman " im trying to find a way to understand our world"

"we may just go where no one's been"

pi-"mathematicians live on the edge"

ps i would like to add that there are subtle elements of lateralus that makes the central morality of pi quite different but i feel the connection is stronger than just the fibonacci sequence. the question i posed in the first post still stands what would it mean to understand conciousness

skywarp94
09-09-2003, 12:37 PM
my thoughts from a while back

http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=2049

learist
09-26-2003, 06:49 AM
i had a shit load of stuff wrote but i fucked my computer up and lost it! maybe ill write it again but not now so here is a quick list of all the connections that i see between pi and lateralus(there is no meaning in the blanks im just lazy but efficient if you know what i mean he he he)

"Black and white .......infinite possibilities..........lines of reason"

pi- "my mum told me not to look at the sun so I did ............ i understood"

"over thinking ......withering my intuition"

pi- sol to max when playing GO "dont think too much use your intuition"

"i must feed my will to feel my moment ..way outside the line"

pi-the story about the mathematician who defies his own logic by taking a bath but discovers the answer while doing so

"i embrace my desire...........swing on the spiral of our own divinity"

pi-max to the stock market woman " im trying to find a way to understand our world"

"we may just go where no one's been"

pi-"mathematicians live on the edge"

ps i would like to add that there are subtle elements of lateralus that makes the central morality of pi quite different but i feel the connection is stronger than just the fibonacci sequence. the question i posed in the first post still stands what would it mean to understand conciousness

I think it is interesting that the movie is in black and white also, the the pieces on the go board are black and white.