PDA

View Full Version : Title of the song... & interpretation

PRNinja23
09-03-2003, 09:53 AM
I am interested in seeing this song in a different light than anal sex, so I'd like to put that idea aside and look for other possibilities of the meaning of the title. Below is an interpretation based on my own experiences. I am going with the idea I carried through all of Undertow that it is about coming out of addiction.

> Get up and free yourself from yourself.

Freeing yourself from self-seeking and indulgence, because life can never be complete if you're only looking out for your own interests.

>Locked up inside you,
>like the calm beneath castles,
>is a cavern of treasures that
>noone has been to.
>Let's go digging.
>Bring it out to take you back in.

I think the "castle" here is an allusion to the "wall" in Cold and Ugly, where it represents fear and the defenses we build to protect ourselves from pain. The cavern of treasures is the light through which you can touch the soul, but for most people it is walled off by fear.

>You won't do what you'd like to do.
>Lay back and let me show you another way.
>Life's just too short to push it away.
>You won't feel what you'd like to feel.
>Lay back and let me show you another way.

Breaking down the defenses we put up leaves us feeling vulnerable, which most people don't like to feel. After the Flood passes (provided we don't drown), there will be someone to show us another way to feel, aside from the way I used to feel good, but it was never enough (a la Stinkfist) and it only led to the bottom.