PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever considered lateralus is a continue to AEnimar???

MaynardLD50
09-02-2003, 09:50 PM
has anyone ever looked in to the similiarities of AEnima to Lateralus' tracks???? Post your thoughts, i unfortunately can't go to deep into what i've found, i have to go to work :P

LD50

Patches
09-26-2003, 09:15 PM
yeah, I kinda wasted my contiunation point in the "ppl who dont like lateralus" thread...but genearally it went as follows--

Aenima is the first half of the emotional process (anger, fear...something a little more negative) and it pushes people to find their own resolutions to problems, and lateralus was just the band finishing their started works.

dissonance51765
09-29-2003, 08:10 PM
The other day I was listening to it when I got this off-hand thought that seemed to make a lot of sense.

At the end of Aenima, the Third Eye opens. Lateralus begins to describe what is seen with the Third Eye open.

newmoon2112
10-15-2003, 07:14 PM
I heard that one of the tracks on Lateralus was written back in Aenima days.I believe The Grudge or Schism.

TheInsideSource
10-17-2003, 02:23 AM
I heard that one of the tracks on Lateralus was written back in Aenima days.I believe The Grudge or Schism.

I believe it was Ticks & Leeches.

crow011
10-17-2003, 07:16 AM
has anyone ever looked in to the similiarities of AEnima to Lateralus' tracks????

yes . . .

there are none . . .

each album is different . . .

enough said . . .

peace and blessed be . . .

crow011 . . .

DredhedBuddha
10-27-2003, 01:03 PM
On shade's reply, does that mean the next album could be The third eye closing? Or maybe something more elaborated on the third eye?

corps d'allumen
11-17-2003, 01:01 AM
all these songs are about an imaginary character, the entity created by the music, and its trials and tribulations that started way back with/in 'opiate'. this entity, with its strong message of opening the minds of others, how it saw fit & by whatever means necessary, sought to be a messiah, melchizadek, whatever label you want to put on it; a divine destiny. the downward spiral of delusion eventually reached an end; it found out that it was wrong, and the thing that showed its face/light changed everything the character thought it was/had above others. it realized that after all this perceived purification through pain, it was still the same as everyone else; its own mind's eye was not open. what was this thing? the gun (its ego) aimed at the target -the fundamental flaw of being human through ignorance, that it thought it had trancended and had to point out in others- was now pointed at itself. self-destruction ensued; it was introspection to a critical level. the phoenix must die to rise from its own ashes... 'ænima' is the documentary/instructions of/to the crucifixion and death of this character's, and your own, ego. considering 'stinkfist' as a summary of the whole transition, the album begins with a eulogy. this concept is reinforced by the directions in the liner notes for properly using ketamine, which induces near-death-experiences and introspective mind-states, as well as acting as a solvent of the ego and the concept of time. this character is digging deep into itself to discover why it is the way it is, and how to change it; what is has, what is missing, and what needs to be shed or gained. at the end of all this, it dis(re)covers what stunned it before, the vision through the third eye. all the digging lead to the final layer contained within us all; a layer that cannot be opened or resolved permanently by finding it in texts or pleading with it to share its 'secrets'. i say 'permanently' because we can all have glimpses while traveling the path; for example, drugs. certain drugs pry the eye open, wether you're ready or not, but it is not a permanent expansion; they are a TOOL, a catalyst for something. wether the catalyst produces enlightenment or addiction or insanity is all up to you. i believe Ken Kesey said something to the effect of the point of doing drugs is to not have to do them. through all this character's explorations and discoveries, it finds the power of meditation/breathing (in... out... in... out...) and prys the eye open one last time. this time it has enough SELF-knowledge to embrace itself in its entirety; the 1 had and the 1 lost finally united to form one entity, an 11. from a numerological standpoint, 11 is the master number; the name 'jesus' reduces to the number 11. i am not purposely insinuating anything on a religious level of comparison or correlation, just as a facinating coincidence. the song 'third eye' ends with a cacophony of noises that wash away, like dissapating into the whole (no)thing; the god, the light, the collective unconscious-whatever label helps you understand. the individual is gone with the end of the cd. a melchizadek is an ascended master (46&2 or even higher) that chooses to stay in this dimension to assist others with their awakenings. the concept character is intended to represent an enlightened entity; it has evolved. upon its return, it can now, truly honest to itself, understand the place it made for itself with its past actions and can, or at least learn to, deal with it. all the people it enticed into thinking its way while warning them not to, when some weren't ready to think at all, let alone for themselves, now depend on it like parasites for what it has to give/tell them. the grudge between friends and lovers estranged by steadfast opinions and stubbornness and disillusionment, especially the ones who started the journey with it, the scarlett letter(men), became a weight holding it down simply because it wouldn't let go of them and forgive. it realized that if you don't fear death, on any level, you are free to appreciate life on every level; it is short and precious and should be lived to the fullest. it also now knows the perils of being unable to feel and understand its emotions; not everything can be thought of or analysed, some things must be felt. left brain=logic, right brain=emotion; the goal is no division. the reflection is it looking back at all of this and hoping that we will finally see the whole picture by summing up its entire journey. instead of focusing on the letters and notes and nuances, take a giant step back then look and see it all. of course, these are just my opinions. i could be wrong.

corps d'allumen
11-17-2003, 02:20 PM
Very nice, although I doubt that they are meant to represent any character, nor do I think Maynard would have put as much detail in as you have described.

@ those dudes that said ticks and leeches around Ænima period, I wouldn't think so as the general thought on ticks and leeches is about the lawyers and law suits they went through, those events occuring after Ænima

the idea of a concept character is not that foriegn; pink floyd, david bowie, eminem, king crimson, to name a few, have all had or have a concept character; an alter-ego or persona alive only in the music. if you look to the band's members or their personal experiences as a direct source of the meanings that are intended to be perceived, then you are missing something vital. if that was the case, all these songs should mean absolutely nothing to anyone but them, more specifically, maynard alone. "i don't think maynard would have put that much detail in..." the band does not revolve around him, nor are his ideas an exclusive definition of the music. there are three other members, you know. to be very literal and singular about it, that's what 'ticks&leeches' is about- people feeding off of them, and him specifically, not taking it as they need to see/feel it, for themselves, but sucking a personal meaning out of another. but also, there is another meaning that ties into the grand story of all of it. the music as a whole is what's important; be lateral about your views, don't just rely on one man's personal life to guide you through yours.

Mehhico
11-17-2003, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=@ those dudes that said ticks and leeches around Ænima period, I wouldn't think so as the general thought on ticks and leeches is about the lawyers and law suits they went through, those events occuring after Ænima[/QUOTE]

Ahh, but thats your opinion of the song.

And besides, from what I have heard, Maynard writes the lyrics for the music (ie- the music is written first). They might have written the song in the "old days", but produced it on Lateralus with Maynards lyrics. But thats just my opinion.

corps d'allumen
11-18-2003, 02:31 PM
my opinion is that everyone should get off of maynard's dick. i'd like to hear sometime people's opinions of the music, not just what they think maynard this, maynard that... blah blah blah. how does it (the music as a whole) affect you and make you feel PERSONALLY, not the opinions of what 1/4, one man, one aspect is trying to say; he is not the whole band. there is more to it than just what he is saying; put it all together. what is the music saying to you? that should not be considered an opinion. that is like buying a car so you can sit in the parking lot wondering where the seats (the only part of the car you've acknowledged) are trying to tell you to go; ignoring the body, engine and wheels, and on top of it all, your own destination. the car is there for you to drive it to where YOU want to go. i guess thinking that you get a car to go where you want to is just an opinion, but how many other opinions really make sense? i guess if you want to pine over what something else is saying, then that's your prerogative, but what's the point? almost every 'opinion' on this site about every aspect is "i think maynard means this..." or even worse, "i think maynard THINKS that..." thinking for yourself goes deeper than what you think someone else thinks or means. it's not about maynard, it's about you; it's about the music. do you look at a painting wondering "what does that brush stroke mean?" everything comes together to make you feel something unique to yourself, inside yourself. it's just sad how everyone worships this man. if tomorrow maynard said as a joke or a metaphor "i like peanut butter" then there would be a plethora of posts to support the greatness of the nutty, non-dairy spread: why peanut butter is the greatest food of all time, how peanut butter can fortify your spirit, what time in the lunar calendar is best to smear peanut butter on your balls to make gold bars to buy more peanut butter, who has the 'correct opinion' of the peanut butter mystery, and which peanut butter you think maynard likes best (because you can't ask him). meanwhile, he might be laughing his ass off (at least i would be) because maybe he doesn't even like peanut butter, and it really isn't literally important to the music anyway. but no one would talk about how this whole peanut butter allegory has made them think and feel and realize about themselves. get off maynard's dick; if you need to be fucked by something, do it to yourself. at least by fucking yourself you find out what you like and don't like to feel. that's my opinion.

All-One-Mind
11-20-2003, 10:52 PM
my opinion is that everyone should get off of maynard's dick. i'd like to hear sometime people's opinions of the music, not just what they think maynard this, maynard that... blah blah blah. how does it (the music as a whole) affect you and make you feel PERSONALLY, not the opinions of what 1/4, one man, one aspect is trying to say; he is not the whole band. there is more to it than just what he is saying; put it all together. what is the music saying to you? that should not be considered an opinion. that is like buying a car so you can sit in the parking lot wondering where the seats (the only part of the car you've acknowledged) are trying to tell you to go; ignoring the body, engine and wheels, and on top of it all, your own destination. the car is there for you to drive it to where YOU want to go. i guess thinking that you get a car to go where you want to is just an opinion, but how many other opinions really make sense? i guess if you want to pine over what something else is saying, then that's your prerogative, but what's the point? almost every 'opinion' on this site about every aspect is "i think maynard means this..." or even worse, "i think maynard THINKS that..." thinking for yourself goes deeper than what you think someone else thinks or means. it's not about maynard, it's about you; it's about the music. do you look at a painting wondering "what does that brush stroke mean?" everything comes together to make you feel something unique to yourself, inside yourself. it's just sad how everyone worships this man. if tomorrow maynard said as a joke or a metaphor "i like peanut butter" then there would be a plethora of posts to support the greatness of the nutty, non-dairy spread: why peanut butter is the greatest food of all time, how peanut butter can fortify your spirit, what time in the lunar calendar is best to smear peanut butter on your balls to make gold bars to buy more peanut butter, who has the 'correct opinion' of the peanut butter mystery, and which peanut butter you think maynard likes best (because you can't ask him). meanwhile, he might be laughing his ass off (at least i would be) because maybe he doesn't even like peanut butter, and it really isn't literally important to the music anyway. but no one would talk about how this whole peanut butter allegory has made them think and feel and realize about themselves. get off maynard's dick; if you need to be fucked by something, do it to yourself. at least by fucking yourself you find out what you like and don't like to feel. that's my opinion.

hi there, I am Jeff.

Fuck you.

Nice to meet you.

bye.

MaynardLD50
11-21-2003, 11:29 PM
All-One-Mind, don't be a cock to other people because they have a different opinion, and to everyone else don't post with crap like "No, that song is about" trust me you and I have no idea what Maynard was writing about I bet.

On another note i haven't been able to actually get online to check out my Tool sites lately, but then again nothing has happened. I'm looking forward to the next Tool album I think i speak for everyone when i say i've played it to death. Here's a new theory that popped up to me when i was listening to the new APC and Tool lateralus.

What IF (keyword if don't post cock followups) IFFFFF Maynard is writing his own "reflections" of his own life? Maybe, just maybe all of these songs are about Maynard and his life growing up. Think about it, APC, obviously the CD is about a person struggling with a drug addiction. What if that "person" is Maynard? Lateralus, a beautiful love story (my opinion of what it means to me) maybe a biography of what Maynard was going through during that time? Didn't anyone ever find it wierd that Maynard lives in L.A. and he wrote a song about it drifting away, maybe writing about himself, and being a hipacrit (spelled that wrong) for living there himself??? :D

post your followups. Maybe someone will listen to the songs and see how it could work because i've really listened to it hard and i even took down notes of similiarities of Lat. and Aen. and trust me they are very VERY close to being tied together.

Till tomorrow peace

Maynard

corps d'allumen
11-22-2003, 12:17 PM
apparently, i've struck a nerve in all-one(sided)-mind's fragile world. i think your comment, jeff, really strengthens my statement. go join AUM or something...

maynardld50, i think they are definitely tied together, tool and a perfect circle, but with a more personal view of (from) MJK than i think ænima & lateralus are linked together according to his life specifically. i think all songs written by one man will have a flavor of his own life's inspirations, but to focus on the 'personal life' issue of him in the songs' lyrics, puts the two bands in a 'left brain, right brain' relationship, as opposed to two albums by the same aspect. the left brain (tool) is masculine & logical, while the right brain (apc) is emotional and feminine. (also illustrated in: the contrasting lyrical tone and content, the long hair vs. the bald head, intricate complexity vs. beautiful simplicity, etc.)

Titan
11-27-2003, 04:28 PM
I'd tend to agree with corps d'allumen, maynard may be a clever guy but hes only a single contributing factor of 4, each member brings something powerful to the group, and when the 4 get together it culminates into something with a powerful meaning.

I love that about tool/apc , depending on what kind of mood im in i could switch between bands, i find both have their individual purposes and meanings, both great.

Except the drummer from apc who was in devo.

That kinda worries me, everytime i see that guy i picture "whip it, whip it goooooood" heh.

Mehhico
11-27-2003, 08:45 PM
my opinion is that everyone should get off of maynard's dick. i'd like to hear sometime people's opinions of the music, not just what they think maynard this, maynard that... blah blah blah.

but with a more personal view of (from) MJK than i think ænima & lateralus are linked together according to his life specifically. i think all songs written by one man will have a flavor of his own life's inspirations, but to focus on the 'personal life' issue of him in the songs' lyrics, puts the two bands in a 'left brain, right brain' relationship, as opposed to two albums by the same aspect. the left brain (tool) is masculine & logical, while the right brain (apc) is emotional and feminine. (also illustrated in: the contrasting lyrical tone and content, the long hair vs. the bald head, intricate complexity vs. beautiful simplicity, etc.)

Uuuummmmmmmmmm.............................Hi, my name is Andy.

corps d'allumen
11-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Uuuummmmmmmmmm.............................Hi, my name is Andy.

"the band is just fantastic, that is really what i think.
oh, by the way, which one's pink?"

when david bowie was expressing the 'musical' entity 'ziggy stardust', his appearance changed to reflect that character. perhaps bowie REALLY wanted to dress that way, with no regard to the music at all, just to gratify himself... i wouldn't pry into his life via every little scrap of info/hearsay about him to learn about why his music is, but i would: listen to the music and apply it to the images given; look at the images given and apply them to the music; critically listen (like philosophy's critical thinking) to the music to hear what it itself is saying, with little or no regard to the personal life of the artist(s).
personally, i think it was a genius move on keenan's, as well as tool's, part in keeping the theme of tool's music going in a totally different band with totally different people from a totally different aspect. but, if you want to construe me saying that the relationship between a perfect circle and tool seems more personal to maynard than the relationship between each of tool's albums as being 'all up on the man's dick', then good for you. you know EXACTLY what i meant, but if it makes you feel better, andy, then go for it.
mji