PDA

View Full Version : Alex Grey rocks so hard

kette
12-04-2002, 10:37 PM
If you're a fan of Alex Grey's at all you simply must see his work in person. Seeing them in books, although amazing, is NOTHING compared to seeing them in person.

My personal favorites have changed since I saw him at the Tibet House in NYC last weekend (going again on the 12th) and got to see everything larger than life. For one thing, Theologue has to span 15-20 feet wide by 6+ feet tall. you look at it, and you are in it, just like that.

And Cosmic Christ has to be seen up close and personal or you don't get all of the detail. every single little frame within the painting has another painting in it, in exquisite detail. amazing.

and the frames are kickass too. for instance, all of the frames around the Sacred Mirrors series are made by Alex and Allyson and they are at least as intricate as the paintings themselves. one side has the evolution of thought, the other has the biological and universal evolution. the thought side is encased in a snake eating itself in the shape of a double helix, the bio side is balls in a double helix. the top has man and woman, old to young, and mating. and a star "eye of god" and then different things by which we seek knoweldge radiating out from that. .... and so on...

my faves, Universal Mind Lattice, and Theologue, although Cosmic Christ is growing on me.

GregoryWohlwend
12-04-2002, 11:58 PM
I heard about the show he is giving up at the Tibet House, how i envy anyone within driving distance of that place. It would be amazing to see those, is their anything else about the trip that you could tell me/us. I have two posters of his, Gaia, and Holy Fire, which are both awesome, but i bet Gaia is another story in its original form. When i heard about it i was considering taking a bus to New York, then reality set in and i looked at my bank statement with $30 dollars left. Anyways, details on the paintings or what Alex says would be awesome. If you like his stuff maybe you will like mine.

http://wu.sw0bes.com

Cornbread
12-22-2002, 01:23 AM
Indeed, those who are close enough to go see Alex Grey's artwork on a Saturday morning after breakfast are very lucky. I'm sure it's quite an experience. Hell, even the ones who are able to think about taking a bus there are lucky. Or. Just. You know. Moreso than I. ... ...

Cornbread
12-22-2002, 01:29 AM
or on a friday, even. =)

blueghost
12-26-2002, 10:39 PM
wow, my brother made it to new york to see alex in person and for the best christmas ever, he got alex to sign a poster for me. in the corner of the poster he also drew a music note with eyes as the "bottom" of the note. my brother told him that i was a musician and i think that he meant "music opens your eyes" or maybe deeper than that. who knows all i know is that alex cared enough to sigh EVERY poster and sketchbook and is a wonderful person , a true artist by my brothers words. if anyone else made it up and got to experience his art and vision, please share with fellow admirers of his work..

peace

Ghost

nwimnthng0
01-12-2003, 02:33 PM
ugh, i am so jealous of anyone who has seen his artwork in person. I proposed the idea to my photography teacher to take a trip down to NY to view the show but she didnt go for it. Oh well, hopefully he tours around some more. That would be fantastic and im sure id find myself riding the spiral to the end. Poster of "Holy Fire" and print of "Gaia" is on the way in the mail. \m/