PDA

View Full Version : The Song that got my attention

k_k_keenan
01-03-2008, 07:03 PM
When my son was a teenager he was into anarchy signs, Slipknot, Korn, and Tool. He wanted DocMartins and wore black music t-shirts EVERY day. I made him take back his Marilyn Manson CD because of the awful lyrics...and once I heard this Tool song I was about to make him take that CD back too. He protested and told me to read the lyrics to the song and I was pleasantly surprised. What I thought was a hate song full of Hitler images through the use of hard pounding industrial noise and cheering that reminded me of the adoring Nazi crowds, in the ultimate language of hate..German...was actually a cookie recipe. I laughed at myself and was impressed with what I thought was the cleverest way to point out prejudice through a case of mistaken identity. I assumed what I heard was one thing...which in itself pointed out my own prejudices when I found out what the lyrics were really saying. I heard German, clanging, and crowd cheering and automatically concluded...evil hate mongers. I then sat down and listened to the whole album and was hooked from then on.

thedarkcow
01-03-2008, 08:05 PM
But you really have to look into the meaning of the recipe if you want to know the truth... you may be surprised to find there is actually a message of hate hidden within the message of love

Tool_Is_Sick
01-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Wow. Tool actually opened some minds.

Fixed. I'll take the second slot. Thanks. Good day.

Tool_Is_Sick
01-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I never said it was always about me sweetheart.

Anyway, You said "A mind" so I just wanted to fix it and let you know that Tool has changed my mind in a positive way as well. But Im sure you already knew that. :)

HOW IS THE WORKING OUT GOING? Does it look like your on roids yet? If not then you suck! haha...It better fuckin be your new years resolution!!

BTW, its 2 times in 3 days. Rivek your a month and 2 days behind. haha You better Catch-Up and Liquor.

Tool_Is_Sick
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
1. It's always about you when it comes to you goddamnit.lol Yes sir. Sorry captain.

2. Cool. Yeah, they pushed me out of my comfort zone and now I like all music. Even grindcore. Maybe Tool was a bad influence on me.

Im happy that they pushed you out of your comfort zone but explain a little on how Tool could even be a bad influence? Im curious as to what you have to say.

3. I re-stacked about seven f'n pallets of 80lb bags at work yesterday (30 per pallet) so it's off to a good start.
Good man, you have to get into a gym and have a daily routine.

4. what? The only part of that I understood is the liquor part... because... my irish blood has been awakened and my latent family history of alcoholism with it.
lol. translated: I got head 2 days out of 3. Your a month and 2 days behind of recieved oral sex when you do..you will be cool like the rest of us. lol I dont think you understood this....Catch-up and liquor= Catchup and lick her.

Tool_Is_Sick
01-07-2008, 11:46 PM
First: Old girlfriends are NEVER good. hahaha.
Second:What do you listen to that most people dont consider music?

Inner_Eulogy
01-08-2008, 06:37 AM
, in the ultimate language of hate..German..

The Tool forum does NOT accept nor respect rascists. It'll be nice to see you burn one day.

Inner_Eulogy
01-08-2008, 06:38 AM
But you really have to look into the meaning of the recipe if you want to know the truth... you may be surprised to find there is actually a message of hate hidden within the message of love

There is NO message of hate in this track at all. Are you deaf blind and dumb?

Inner_Eulogy
01-08-2008, 06:40 AM
yeah I ended up calling an old girlfriend and we met up here at the apartment and fucked like rabbits. So. There ya go.

HA, well I got head in the theatre on Sunday, and then she rode me in the theatre...no joke

Rolo
01-08-2008, 03:17 PM
When my son was a teenager he was into anarchy signs, Slipknot, Korn, and Tool. He wanted DocMartins and wore black music t-shirts EVERY day. I made him take back his Marilyn Manson CD because of the awful lyrics...and once I heard this Tool song I was about to make him take that CD back too. He protested and told me to read the lyrics to the song and I was pleasantly surprised. What I thought was a hate song full of Hitler images through the use of hard pounding industrial noise and cheering that reminded me of the adoring Nazi crowds, in the ultimate language of hate..German...was actually a cookie recipe. I laughed at myself and was impressed with what I thought was the cleverest way to point out prejudice through a case of mistaken identity. I assumed what I heard was one thing...which in itself pointed out my own prejudices when I found out what the lyrics were really saying. I heard German, clanging, and crowd cheering and automatically concluded...evil hate mongers. I then sat down and listened to the whole album and was hooked from then on.

So you were reliefed to realize the song wasn't Nazi-connected in any way? Why is your TDN-name refering to the KKK?

You're a weird one, imo.

Rolo
01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
see noise/grind

I've heard some A.C.
Definatly NOT music. Althought they have an amusing version of the theme from the A-team.

*~*»€«(Đispositioń)»€«*~*
01-12-2008, 07:17 PM
So you were reliefed to realize the song wasn't Nazi-connected in any way? Why is your TDN-name refering to the KKK?

You're a weird one, imo.
Maybe he did it so people would have the same experience over his name that he had over the song?

Also, you're a weird one.

Rolo
01-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Also, you're a weird one.

Aren't we all?

Nikeda-Taylor
01-19-2008, 01:44 PM

Well yeah, at first i thought it had something to do with Hitler and the Nazi's, but then i looked up the lyrics. After reading it i thought, ignorance sucks. But now you see that it wasn't about that. It's a cookie recipe.Tool opened up a mind by forcing a listener out of their comfort zone and made them think. yay!

k_k_keenan
03-07-2008, 08:47 PM

You're a weird one, imo.

That's my real name. My parent's sense of humor I guess...or sense of ignorance. Not the initials one can easily use without such a prejudicial comment being made. Sometimes a "k" is just a "k".

Whodini
03-08-2008, 08:34 AM
I admit what got me into tool was the sober video way back in the day. Then I bought Undertow and it was one of the most brutal albums of its time. I was a kid then of course, but have grown with this band almost perfectly in sync with my life. I feel they are a part of who I am as a person. The time they take between albums allows for major changes in one's life, the outlook etc. The angst as a kid (undertow), the experimentation stage (aenima), the spiritual journey as an adult (lateralus), and finally when reality comes crashing down (10,000). I cant wait to see what they come up with next.

jarlaxle
03-08-2008, 11:41 AM
^Next was an entire collection of "cookie recipes", aka Puscifer. Just saying this cause while reading this thread I was reminded of Maynard's quote describing Puscifer, which he said was "where my Id, Ego, and Anima all come together to exchange cookie recipes."

I thought it was funny how he used the cookie recipe connection again. I wonder if this means Puscifer is basically his thoughts on misconceptions and censorship when the censorship is purely based on what others perceieve and not directly what the material itself is. For example, I find it funny that the radio version of "Jambi" censors out the word, "So".

Rolo
05-08-2008, 12:33 PM
That's my real name. My parent's sense of humor I guess...or sense of ignorance. Not the initials one can easily use without such a prejudicial comment being made. Sometimes a "k" is just a "k".

OK, then...

Inner_Eulogy
05-09-2008, 05:14 AM
OK, then...

that was weak

Rolo
05-09-2008, 05:40 AM
You meant weak

slamminsalmon
05-09-2008, 05:59 AM
this was a great thread until someone responded.

Inner_Eulogy
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
You meant weak

oh yeah

Inner_Eulogy
05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
this was a great thread until someone responded.

Well thanks for ruining it =-P

Disgustipated91
05-10-2008, 11:45 AM
This is sad blastfomy of stupid minds that "fuck old girlfriends" and "fuck in a theatre"... the is pure YOU ARE A STUPID HEAD AND I AINT...absolutly stupid!!

Rolo
05-10-2008, 01:08 PM
This is sad blastfomy of stupid minds that "fuck old girlfriends" and "fuck in a theatre"... the is pure YOU ARE A STUPID HEAD AND I AINT...absolutly stupid!!

And this is a sad example for a first post on a Tool forum.

Welcome at TDN...

ufopancakes
05-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Maybe the next step is to dig a little deeper into Manson's lyrics to discover that they aren't all that bad, and actually make valid points about our fucked up society.

Inner_Eulogy
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe the next step is to dig a little deeper into Manson's lyrics to discover that they aren't all that bad, and actually make valid points about our fucked up society.

Disgustipated91 is cleary a great example of our "fucked up society"

Tool_Is_Sick
05-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Wow...Im speechless.

chaotic_confusion
05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
yeah, this is hypocrisy to a tangible degree but...
wouldn't it be easier to ignore the clutter/filler posts than to drag them into further meaningless posts and cluttering the entire topic? i could be wrong...

either way... i bet my father feels similar to the way the original poster's initial reaction to the song, he's into a lot of wwii novels (american patriot all the way of course), and really grips to all of the negative connotations towards germany from then (as well as other countries the u.s. has waged war with). I was baffled to find that this song was a recipe, this german chick i met, whom was into tool, told me it's more like a biscuit recipe, but in some countries a biscuit is just a thick cookie anyway.

Inner_Eulogy
05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
yeah, this is hypocrisy to a tangible degree but...
wouldn't it be easier to ignore the clutter/filler posts than to drag them into further meaningless posts and cluttering the entire topic? i could be wrong...

You might be right........but nobody really gives a fuck.

chaotic_confusion
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
all in good fun?

pour me another then, for the fire glows dim.

Inner_Eulogy
05-15-2008, 10:09 AM
all in good fun?

pour me another then, for the fire glows dim.

**pours some grape kool-aid and hands it over**

dxs
05-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Thank you for identifying the kool-aid flavor. -_-

ufopancakes
06-09-2008, 12:59 AM
I was baffled to find that this song was a recipe, this german chick i met, whom was into tool, told me it's more like a biscuit recipe, but in some countries a biscuit is just a thick cookie anyway.

My brother is bilingual and attends High School (or whatever the equivalent is) in Germany... He said that "Hashish" was actually German for 'Crack' and not Hash.

Crack Biscuits?

false_living123
06-10-2008, 07:08 AM
There is NO message of hate in this track at all. Are you deaf blind and dumb?

well, whatever he is, he sure plays a mean pinball

dxs
06-10-2008, 11:37 AM
A pinball with spikes = a mace.

Inner_Eulogy
06-10-2008, 03:51 PM
A pinball with spikes, chain and handle = a mace.

/fixed

false_living123
06-11-2008, 06:36 AM
A pinball with spikes = a mace.

it's all a conspiracy

Inner_Eulogy
06-11-2008, 01:44 PM
YOU'RE all a conspiracy

The government is actually run by hamsters crossed with jellyfish. The masons are really just a cover up for what's REALLY going on.

dxs
06-11-2008, 02:36 PM
YOU'RE all a conspiracy

WE'RE all accidents.

dxs
06-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Say that 50 times fast. No copy and paste.

Inner_Eulogy
06-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Who said anything about the Masons, huh???

Didn't I do just that?

dxs
06-13-2008, 01:24 PM
WAV editing. Overlap action.
Yess.

You know you've heard that effect in dance music and certain hip-hop songs, when they're all, "y-y-y--yy--y-you...!"

Or typing. Which/e.

dxs
06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, doing it vocally's the catch.

That's what makes it hard.

^ Wow, what an innuendo.