PDA

View Full Version : Vox Valvetronix

holy reality
09-01-2003, 12:07 PM
This amp looks like the shiznit.... it has insanely good reviews on Harmony Central, higher than just about any other amp I've seen on there....

I'm thinking about getting one....

has anybody tried it? If so how good was it for Tool tones?

www.valvetronix.com

the only bad thing I've heard is some people have had huge hiss problems, kind of like me with my Marshall... but supposedly the newest models with new speakers don't have that problem as much...

I'm probably gonna get the 120 watt head and either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab, I think all the cabs were made with the new speakers..... then the new vc12 footswitch probably...

That's like $1200 though :(

blech...

well...

gotta try this baby out first lol... but I'm seriously creaming myself over it and how just about everyone loves it and whatnot.... and a lot of them say it's more efficient to use than the real life tube amps it models and whatnot... so it's gotta be pretty damn accurate.... the FX are supposed to be fantastic as well...

So..... discuss this amp... chances are someone from these boards has tried one, or even owns one.

Somehow I have a feeling this thread is going to go unread though.

deviatedwolf625
09-01-2003, 01:51 PM
.... why the fuck are you buying a 4x12 cab? It's (A) Much more fun, and (B) A little cheaper to build it yourself, and 4x12's are much easier to build than PA/Bass cabs.

Secondly, have you also checked out the line6 gear? I like it, they do wonderful modeling, and the vetta heads are probaby going to drop below 1k with the new vetta II's out.

holy reality
09-01-2003, 02:03 PM
.... why the fuck are you buying a 4x12 cab? It's (A) Much more fun, and (B) A little cheaper to build it yourself, and 4x12's are much easier to build than PA/Bass cabs.

Secondly, have you also checked out the line6 gear? I like it, they do wonderful modeling, and the vetta heads are probaby going to drop below 1k with the new vetta II's out.
no i haven't but i'm not a line6 fan and vox is a company known for making products that tend to not suck

if i see some line 6's i'll try them though... but fuck i tried a really expensive line6 once and this little used randall solidstate sounded better than it.

and how the hell do you build a 4x12? i'm technically challenged to the extreme.

i'm buying a 4x12 (if i go with this amp) becuase it's only $150 more expensive than the 2x12.

besides line6 are pure digital are they not? this thing has digital modeling but is a hybrid tube amp... so it's like... best of both worlds

deviatedwolf625
09-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Alright, well, I like Line6's gear, *shrug*

I've honestly never heard of Vox until recently, and I think they sound about as good as Line6, but I haven't played on an expensive one yet ... I will try it out though.

holy reality
09-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Alright, well, I like Line6's gear, *shrug*

I've honestly never heard of Vox until recently, and I think they sound about as good as Line6, but I haven't played on an expensive one yet ... I will try it out though.
have you tried a valvetronix though?

and how do you build speaker cabs? i'm quite interested... you just buy a cab and some speakers and put them together?

deviatedwolf625
09-01-2003, 04:18 PM
Yah, only thing I don't really know how to do is the wiring, because we haven't done on our current bass cabinet (those are harder than hell, guitar it's build a box and put 4 12's in it). The building is the easy part though, if you've got a woodshop close to you?

holy reality
09-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Yah, only thing I don't really know how to do is the wiring, because we haven't done on our current bass cabinet (those are harder than hell, guitar it's build a box and put 4 12's in it). The building is the easy part though, if you've got a woodshop close to you?
ummm no i'm not up to actually building a cab from scratch.... but i could probably take a pre existing cab and slap some speakers into it if i had some instructions by my side...

building the actual cab itself from scratch is way out of my league though...

deviatedwolf625
09-02-2003, 11:29 AM
Alright, just saying you can build it and save yourself a wee bit o dough.

As for the amp, try some other brands of modeling amp before you make your decision, i.e. Line6, Behringer