PDA

View Full Version : Final Production Cost?

A Tad Bit Catatonic
12-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I could figure out a rough hypothetical figure, but frankly I'm tired and I'm sure some of you guys could most likely do it faster and better.

I have to say that I have mixed feelings about the video. In this day and age, it is not difficult to get your expectations way too high. With the time and money I presume went into it, I expected it to if not rival, at least approach Hollywood Blockbuster effects. The video is incredibly beautiful in a dark and ambient way. And I think in this case especially the devil is in the details. Every single model is so highly detailed and fluidly animated, with all these transparent layers and other effects. But I find the twitching effects, and the shattering panes of glass make those parts look and feel like low budget television effects.

So after watching the included documentary, it is apparent, with the number of programmers and digital artists AND the dramatic timespan involved... the video must have cost a small fortune. I'm just curious as to everyone's thoughts on the matter. It's like... was what we got really worth it. There is, however, at least one thing to keep in mind: as with any collaborative and technologically innovative project, the first time is an experiment. So now the tools have been developed, and the process has been explored and worked out. I have a feeling this is a very good thing for future Tool videos to come... especially if they ever do a "The Wall", you know.

macfreak
12-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Couple of bucks probably

A Tad Bit Catatonic
12-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Couple of bucks probably

so that's like $4 Canadian?

edit: I just assumed somebody who knows the industry better than I do could possibly give a rough cost estimate. Maybe I will do a little research to contribute to an answer to the question.

junior
12-30-2007, 02:23 AM
so that's like $4 Canadian?

You know, the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar now.