PDA

View Full Version : why why why?

dissociation
12-04-2002, 06:25 PM
as fucking wonderful as this song is, why must adam play the same five notes for six minutes during live performances?

ATG
12-04-2002, 08:22 PM
that was one of my favorite parts of the concert, actually.

I love repitition, it sends me into a medative trance.

lonely_host
12-06-2002, 01:54 PM
adam is no jimmy page and he doesn't try to be..

paraflux
12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Adam is more advance than jimmy page.

Why not? The end of the song has importance too.

TheHollow
12-11-2002, 04:38 PM
The way I see it, is pretty much how ATG describes it! Repetition does put you more in touch mith yourself, blocking out external stimuli, and thus sending you to a meditative state! That usually happens to me during Disposition though.

flanders
12-17-2002, 06:20 AM
How could you not enjoy that man?!? I LOVED it!!! At the Albany show, when I saw them for the first time I was just in awe. I was stupefied. He slowed the notes so gradually, it was perfect. I think it helped relax all the ecstatic fans for the intermission. And they way he perfectly sychronized it with the visual projection..the man waving his hand ever so slowly..PERFECT!

MushroomStamp
12-18-2002, 10:38 AM
It kind of seems like something designed to piss people off. More of the "well, this is what you're getting" mentality. Kind of like the bridge of ticks&leeches where there is basically NOTHING going on for 2 minutes. I think its hilarious. :)

Codewarren
12-25-2002, 07:34 PM
I agree Mushroom...its needed on the album, but damn, that got annoying as all hell in concert...if you dig trancing out on it, then that's cool, but don't take offence when I say that maybe they like tooling around with those who would listen to 10 minutes of silence on a Tool record and call it genius :).

LazyE462
12-29-2002, 10:28 AM
I like trancing to it because you dnt always need to be busy in concert. If you wanted to seemore songs or whatever, then dont go to the concert and stay home and listen to the cd, hehe. Its a very precious moment in the set because it gives everyone a chance to close their eyes, breathe deep, and feel a series of perfect moments. If that means they dont play "prison sex", then im OK with that.

4nick8
12-30-2002, 11:26 AM
Repitition is something that usually annoys the shit out of me. It is the single one reason that I could not get into "rage against the machine", because they repeated lyrics and ideas too often, it grated on my last nerve.

Most music I listen to is really heavy, and hard-hitting. Rarely anything that slows down to a near stop.

It is for these reasons that I cannot understand fully why, no matter what you've read above, I can listen to tool do these very things in songs, and it fucking rocks. No matter what they do, or how they approach it, it sounds good.

Scobularni
01-19-2003, 07:49 PM
After the 15 minutes or so of Disp/Refl, I can't just 'go into' another song, i need a little rest.. Thus I have no problems myself with the repeating.

Macrame
01-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Well, you need a little repitition for the crescendo into Triad to be effective. And with something like Triad coming up, both the band and the fans could use a little time to cool down.