PDA

View Full Version : 3D

Aenima7988
12-18-2007, 03:48 PM
About as many people mention that the video is in 3D as there are people saying that there's live footage, so I don't know if I believe it. I feel like if the video actually were in 3D that's all people would be talking about. At least it's all I would be talking about. I also read that the 3D effect can be achieved with stereoscopic or red/blue glasses which doesn't make sense. If it's red/blue there are red and blue lines on the screen, if it's stereoscopic, there are two of the same image and you'd have to sit a certain distance from the TV with the lenses a certain distance from your face and that would make your vision a great distance from 20/20. So what's da scoop?

praefector
12-18-2007, 04:03 PM
use that thing between your ears, youll figure it out

webaries.com
12-18-2007, 04:05 PM
i have a copy of the night of the living dead in 3d that i bought at target

havent watched it yet, but i did try the glasses with the vicarious dvd

actually, i flipped em upside down and had the red lens on my left eye and the blue (cyan) lens on the right eye, which was kind of uncomfortable to hold but worked much better. thats just the way it is, some anaglyphs are red/cyan and some are cyan/red.

so yeah, the video is indeed in 3d!

oh i also tried it with the polarized 3d glasses that i had after seeing the nightmare before christmas in 3d in the theatre, but that did not work.

Aenima7988
12-18-2007, 08:12 PM
what, you mean my nose?

solidabyss
12-19-2007, 12:19 AM

actually, i flipped em upside down and had the red lens on my left eye and the blue (cyan) lens on the right eye, which was kind of uncomfortable to hold but worked much better. thats just the way it is, some anaglyphs are red/cyan and some are cyan/red.

oh i also tried it with the polarized 3d glasses that i had after seeing the nightmare before christmas in 3d in the theatre, but that did not work.

its not in 3D, you are experiencing the placebo effect

if it was in 3D they would say it is and give you glasses

webaries.com
12-19-2007, 12:16 PM
if it was in 3D they would say it is and give you glasses

you're right! the members of tool have always been incredibly crisp with their messages, it's a wonder any of us discuss their methods and intentions at all!

MORNING_GLORY
12-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Tool may be mysterious and whatnot, but I'm pretty sure if it was supposed to be in 3-d they would give some sort of direction indicating it so. The video is not in 3-d, it's just a cool, transparent, colorful, stylized CGI, which is a big difference.

chonus
12-19-2007, 12:51 PM
It is definitely in 3D. (ok, maybe that isn't the correct word. stereoscopic or something maybe...but still. )

I couldn't get the glasses to work on the tv but when I watch up close on the computer I can lock in and watch the whole thing that way. Flying through the flaming fireballs was intense (in 3D that is).

Curse1217
12-19-2007, 12:56 PM
How can it be steroscopic without having two images?

chonus
12-19-2007, 01:07 PM
All I know is that it is trippy as hell when I have it locked in with the glasses on my computer screen.

Aenima7988
12-19-2007, 03:20 PM

why didn't you just fold them the other way and wear them like regular glasses

webaries.com
12-19-2007, 04:51 PM

webaries.com
12-19-2007, 04:57 PM
debate over the video aside, here are 2 bonafide, tool-related 3d anaglyphs
http://www.3dartspace.com/images/stories/Galleries/3DArt/reaching/Reaching_red_blue_high.jpg
and http://www.3dartspace.com/images/stories/Galleries/3DArt/reaching/Reaching_blue_high.jpg

webaries.com
12-19-2007, 05:06 PM

Touché!

joeburo
12-20-2007, 01:23 PM

haha^

LetoAtreides
12-20-2007, 01:46 PM
It's not 3D, it is Chromatic abberation, and it produces a false stereoscopy, wherein there is no actual focal point, it is mearly the red and blue channels (cyan and magenta respectivly) being distorted in lateral directions. See this thread for all the details http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=97541

It might look 3d, but it's not. It is not rendered from two cameras, thus no focal point. The thread starter was right in that it is a double image (triple image if you really want to be scientific, RGB), not two images from different perspectives, as a true 3D stereoscopic image is.