PDA

View Full Version : How much did you pay for the DVD? ...and was/is it worth it?

praefector
12-18-2007, 12:06 PM
scooped it up at best buy this morning for 7.99 US (8.55 after tax)

totally worth it.

Hodge
12-18-2007, 12:20 PM
is david cross commentary pwnage?

solidabyss
12-18-2007, 12:58 PM
best buy, 7.99

totally worth it, the documentary is awesome, and they show some adam jones art work during it which is insane. david cross is hilarious, the only thing i could have asked for was blair commentary

Khastra_KSC
12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Best Buy. $7.99

Vicarious - Not at all what I expected, but very good. Still soaking it in.
Commentary - Funny... I guess.
TOUR OF COSM - !!!!
Documentary - Ok, it's called "The Vicarious Documentary"... LOL.

Etc...

It was worth the $8.00 or whatever it turned out to be. I like Alex Grey. I like Chet Zar. I like Adam's style and I like his sculpture. Most of the artists involved are interesting to me. I like T00L's music. Putting the three together is worth $8.00.

trey5winds
12-18-2007, 05:10 PM
I, too, got it at Best Buy, and just finished watching almost all of it (I didn't bother with the commentaries; I'll get to those later). It was around about $9.00, give or take.

Did I think it was worth it? For all the work they put into it, yes. I do think it was worth it. By the same token, I would've liked to hear commentary from the band, either in the video commentary or in the documentary, but I understand and accept why they can't or won't provide any.

One thing to be considered here - these are singles. The DVDs have the video, so they play like a video, and if you just want to hear the music, you can walk away or turn the monitor off or whatever. In one way, it's perfect for those who think about marketing because it's a good introduction to the band if you don't know anything about them and if you like that one song; if you do know something about TOOL, then you know you're getting a good video with lots of effort put into the making of it. The extras were nice, and while I could've done without them, it gave me more things to consider - always a helpful nod to the thinking process.

The fact that TOOL makes interesting videos worth watching to songs that are oftentimes twice as long as radio-length songs is to their advantage - I think they should've been doing the DVD Video Singles thing back in 2001 for "Lateralus". I didn't really enjoy waiting another five years or so for them, but I think they're a good idea. There's lots of cool videos by other artists that I'd love to have bought like this. I don't buy video collections often, but I've bought enough to know that unless you're Peter Gabriel, TOOL, Tori Amos, or a handful of others that make excellent videos 9 times out of ten, then you shouldn't really be putting video collections out. Sometimes there are two or three videos out of the whole bunch worth repeated viewing, whereas everything else is kind of hit-and-miss, with more miss than I like.

On the Lateralus videos, Lustmord did some remixes of the songs. I would've enjoyed hearing that here, too. But what they put out was fine, and the new artwork is pretty swanky, too - I spent a long time looking at the 10,000 Days artwork; now I have more to check out in this new one.

I wonder what "The Pot" is going to be like - if they have a video for it.

As videos go, this wasn't my favourite, but then, this isn't my favourite song on the album, either. It's still worth checking out, though; I daresay that the video gave me a new appreciation for the song, just as the live performance did. For some reason, this song on record doesn't click with me as well as some of the others from this album. But the video helped very much here.

So, on that level alone, the video succeeds.

seemyshadowchanging
12-19-2007, 05:40 AM
I, too, got it at Best Buy, and just finished watching almost all of it (I didn't bother with the commentaries; I'll get to those later). It was around about $9.00, give or take.

Did I think it was worth it? For all the work they put into it, yes. I do think it was worth it. By the same token, I would've liked to hear commentary from the band, either in the video commentary or in the documentary, but I understand and accept why they can't or won't provide any.

One thing to be considered here - these are singles. The DVDs have the video, so they play like a video, and if you just want to hear the music, you can walk away or turn the monitor off or whatever. In one way, it's perfect for those who think about marketing because it's a good introduction to the band if you don't know anything about them and if you like that one song; if you do know something about TOOL, then you know you're getting a good video with lots of effort put into the making of it. The extras were nice, and while I could've done without them, it gave me more things to consider - always a helpful nod to the thinking process.

The fact that TOOL makes interesting videos worth watching to songs that are oftentimes twice as long as radio-length songs is to their advantage - I think they should've been doing the DVD Video Singles thing back in 2001 for "Lateralus". I didn't really enjoy waiting another five years or so for them, but I think they're a good idea. There's lots of cool videos by other artists that I'd love to have bought like this. I don't buy video collections often, but I've bought enough to know that unless you're Peter Gabriel, TOOL, Tori Amos, or a handful of others that make excellent videos 9 times out of ten, then you shouldn't really be putting video collections out. Sometimes there are two or three videos out of the whole bunch worth repeated viewing, whereas everything else is kind of hit-and-miss, with more miss than I like.

On the Lateralus videos, Lustmord did some remixes of the songs. I would've enjoyed hearing that here, too. But what they put out was fine, and the new artwork is pretty swanky, too - I spent a long time looking at the 10,000 Days artwork; now I have more to check out in this new one.

I wonder what "The Pot" is going to be like - if they have a video for it.

As videos go, this wasn't my favourite, but then, this isn't my favourite song on the album, either. It's still worth checking out, though; I daresay that the video gave me a new appreciation for the song, just as the live performance did. For some reason, this song on record doesn't click with me as well as some of the others from this album. But the video helped very much here.

So, on that level alone, the video succeeds.

Well I payed about 18.00 for it,but I did get it on friday before it came out.Ive watched everything on it,but I have to agree with other people that its not one of their best videos,but its ok.I myself didnt think it was worth what I paid for it even though I got it early.I was looking forward to the live footage more than anything and still wonder if it really is hidden.

slamminsalmon
12-19-2007, 06:17 AM
the cosm plug is one of the best parts. alex grey seems so down to earth!

and it was 6.99 release date special.

the video seemed cool, i picked up a few things i can think about.

the animation inside the worms is very complex, i dont think we can appreciate it.

panocha21
12-20-2007, 07:29 PM
$10, Amazon.com. It was worth it.

The CG looks very well, but the animations seem a bit awkward at times. However, this was Adam Jones' doing. Apparently he wanted the animation to look like stop-motion claymation. So the animations are jittery and move like the Aenema/Sober creatures. The CGI though looks very cool and unique. It feels like a next-generation Tool video.

Drawn Under
12-20-2007, 08:12 PM
i paid $8.00 something and had a 5 dollar off coupon and ended up nabbing it for $3.21 ooooo yeaaa!

Idiotica
12-22-2007, 01:31 AM
shops are charging $30 around here in NZ. That's as much as a full album goes for! Won't be buying it at that price - schism and parabola were only $20 each.

Winston
12-22-2007, 01:50 AM
shops are charging $30 around here in NZ. That's as much as a full album goes for! Won't be buying it at that price - schism and parabola were only $20 each.

Yeah, I paid $35NZD (~$27USD), fucking money hungry bastards.
I've a good mind to firebomb them. The music shop that is. Not Tool.
Was it worth it? Hells yeah.
I ended up just ripping it to my comp and gave it to a friend as a Christmas present, for I have no use for such worldly possessions.

Idiotica
12-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah bye bye record stores hello internet - amazon has it for US$13 (NZ$17).

metalwarriorx
12-26-2007, 02:36 AM
is it really worth it??? a song,ang behind the scenes is not worth 9 bucks maybe...free.or. 24 dollas with live performances and music videos/

blindfold_off
12-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I picked it up at Best Buy too for $7.99. Well worth the money. I liked take 2 of Cross's commentary. Good stuff.

dj_philharmonic
12-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Best Buy $7.99
yes i was happy with it, graphics are excellent, commentary leaves something to be desired, storyboards could've been elaborated, COSM- lavish gallery of Alex gray wonderful insights; soooo yes. I realize that' it's only 1 song (vicarious) leaves a lot to be edited, which is something to look for in future.:>)

tooldude
12-27-2007, 08:09 AM
$10 and some change at target....guess i should have went to best buy... hell yeah its worth it... awesome video.... come on its tool!

Metalgod666
12-27-2007, 04:21 PM
$12.99 at FYE, usually the worst place to buy shit because they overcharge out the ass.

godhenry
12-27-2007, 10:04 PM
$8 at Rasputin... support your local record stores!

Tyler_Spyder
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
I admit, I liked it, yet I disliked it...It wasn't all I expected it to be...but there's obviously a message I'm missing in the song to get the whole picture. I doubt Tool would dump thousands of dollars for a shitty video. Though the animation was jerky at times.

In the documentary they said it was cuz they wanted to bring the Stop-Animation to the 3-d. To me, it looked like the animation program that laid it off constantly skipped. That part made me sad...But I did love how they brought Chet Zar and Alex Gray's artwork to life. It was very impressive to see the 3-D Net of Mind [or whatever it's called...].

I paid $11 for it at Graywhale, and I did expect more...I didn't like the commentary for the video either...Obviously it's their idea of a joke.

But all in all, I still have much to learn from it.

-Tyler.

blindfold_off
12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Does he say "I am the TV.."?

Lanceata
12-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Here in Poland i paid 16 US at Empik stores, worth it.