PDA

View Full Version : The 3 legged destroyer

njm
12-15-2007, 12:17 AM
You know, the thing that kills X. What is it?

Does the fact that the eye that comes out of the bug looks exactly the same but smaller mean anything?

EastBayJ1972
12-15-2007, 01:32 AM
You know, the thing that kills X. What is it?

Does the fact that the eye that comes out of the bug looks exactly the same but smaller mean anything?

havent seen the video yet,..but cant wait. I hear there are some secret live footage,...is this true???

fnshmetal
12-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Im still trying to figure out the whole 3 legged eye thing.

Blackdakhma
12-15-2007, 04:37 AM
I think it was showing that the 3 legged thing was once from one of those bug things (or the same one, who knows?)

roylek
12-15-2007, 07:33 AM
I think it was showing that the 3 legged thing was once from one of those bug things (or the same one, who knows?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz7mD9OoKuI

DON IOTAE
12-15-2007, 07:45 AM
im still trying to figure this one out, guys. ive watched the video twice, and there's sense to be made out of it.

praefector
12-15-2007, 07:52 AM
a symbol of our destructive, parasitic nature

Brentzig
12-15-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm not entirely sure either, but I'm view 9 or 10 of the video and all I can say is that it's amazing.

Can't wait to get my actual copy of it in a few days.

liquidswordz
12-15-2007, 02:33 PM
i thought the actual song was going to be extended

Eamon
12-15-2007, 02:37 PM

i never really got that impression, i was thinking they were just going to add bits for the video, like that soundscape intro bit to Parabola. tis still cool though.

Briznitch
12-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Hardly amazing but it's cool towards the end.

tempathy
12-15-2007, 03:02 PM
hmm... it's definitely the same thing that comes out of the uglybug, doing the same destruction. there's so many connections in this video, where to start is beyond me. however the first thing i think of when i see it is "2001: a space odyssey".. it really has that feeling of knowledge and destruction..

Miss.Selfdestruct
12-15-2007, 09:56 PM
the great (3 legged) destroyer....

fnshmetal
12-16-2007, 03:09 AM

Im pretty sure you hit it perfect. Never thought of it that way until now. The bug that looks like a cicada seems to represent the ego, which gives birth to this great destroyer.

Also now that I think of it the whole video seems to take place inside his head. With this great destroyer carving away at the brain.

dirtyepic
12-16-2007, 10:29 AM
it's Crazier than Joe Cunt's cat

solidabyss
12-17-2007, 09:19 AM

it is

all the creepy lustmordy sounds at the beginning and end, i love it

Sea of Lies
12-18-2007, 09:41 AM

Yes i just had the same view of trent's idea when i saw that thing over there... it made me remember that trailer that came out before YZ where the destroyer appears on the road for an instant and the img gets corrupted...

seemyshadowchanging
12-18-2007, 11:27 AM
havent seen the video yet,..but cant wait. I hear there are some secret live footage,...is this true???

From what I can tell its not true.Ive tried various options on the menu but no luck.If there is any then it will probably be up to Blair to tell us how to access it or should I say clues to access it,Almost like the supposed puzzle for the pictures of the guys in the 10k days cover,that one is still unsolved.

solidabyss
12-18-2007, 01:01 PM
turns out its called a "Carbon Destroyer"

reminds me of some cam de leon work, that ball with the insect legs on the cover of the happy pencil/lustmord CD "Carbon/Core" but way more organic

Orbit
12-19-2007, 06:05 PM
a symbol of our destructive, parasitic nature

Thats a really good obseravtion. I just bought it and watched 3 times. The entir time i was trying to figure out what that meant but that is a very good observation. When the music began at the beginning and the heart started to beat, my heart nearly stopped, that was amazing.

DON IOTAE
12-20-2007, 07:02 AM
yeah that beginning part is really awesome. too bad it's one of very few moments in the video where the rhythm and the images on the screen actually sync up distinctively...

Orbit
12-21-2007, 09:35 AM
i agree, i think that there is alos one whne the intro stops and the guitar comes in and there is the " sun pupil" in the sky, and at the end near the outro when the "dead body/soul" goes into the red light and the fire bursts out through the eyes and into his head. only two i can rememeber off the top of my head.

DON IOTAE
12-21-2007, 11:16 AM
also in the first breakdown when the 3 legged destroyer is tearing up the ground - that part's pretty cool

praefector
12-21-2007, 11:37 AM
there are other parts too

like when "x" collapses and it goes to the soft, quiet part as it sooms into his head with the fetus in it

then the "incredulous at best" part when we start traveling through the net of being syncs up with the drum patterns really well

then as you said the hand of fire and the glass breaking syncs up with the "climax"

DON IOTAE
12-21-2007, 11:56 AM
^true, those parts are awesome.

then the "incredulous at best" part when we start traveling through the net of being syncs up with the drum patterns really well

rly? all i see is the camera panning around and not really synched up... though i do see the "universe" when mjk sings "the universe is hostile..."

and you mean "credulous at best"

ref: http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=1279626&postcount=836 and related posts...

Orbit
12-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Ya i thought that the climax was incredible. I love that part of the song as it is, and the artwork display and that scence is amazing.

rogerdoger
12-21-2007, 08:56 PM
By the way, the "uglybug" is a flea...

Kody27
12-22-2007, 12:57 AM
The Carbon Destroyer, which is what it's called, more or less represents the blood that maynard mentions in the song, like blood to a vampire, or you could say it represents tragedy, it's the tragedy causer. Something we can look at from a safe distance and not really feel frightened, like those glass screens that float in between "X" and the Carbon Destroyer, to me represents T.V. screens, but they they shatter, showing X that this apocalyptic tragedy is directly affecting him whether he's conscious of it or not, it's ignorant for us to live like X, barely touching the TV screens of reality, forcing our own demise, only then seeing the infinite glory of eternal consciousness in our own deaths. We should see that it's there all along and it's ok to embrace it.

Nine
12-28-2007, 08:44 AM
possibly chaos first viewed from afar causing our attention to be diverted from the parasites right on top of us in turn causing our own 3 legged destroyer to be born of our own lack of self perception.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
12-29-2007, 04:12 PM
yeah that beginning part is really awesome. too bad it's one of very few moments in the video where the rhythm and the images on the screen actually sync up distinctively...

So many thoughts... the video has been inspiring.

If you watch the documentary (as you probably did), you learn that Adam was intensely adamant that the video actually not sync to the music, except in very dramatic and key moments. Adam gave the guy who's job it is to sync the music to the video a bunch of weird short films he's collected throughout the years, and told him they were along the line of what he was going for - and the guy was a little taken aback. He (Adam) was purposefully aiming for the feel of like a short foreign or art film (as do all their videos).

Don't get me wrong, I think winamp and milkdrop are one of the coolest things humans have invented, but I also understand Adam's take on it. I love the way their videos hypnotically unfold.

DON IOTAE
12-30-2007, 08:44 AM
I haven't seen the documentary yet, but I don't see why he wouldn't sync it up more. I'm with the syncing guy, I'm taken aback...

Rolo
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
The Carbon Destroyer, which is what it's called, more or less represents the blood that maynard mentions in the song, like blood to a vampire, or you could say it represents tragedy, it's the tragedy causer. Something we can look at from a safe distance and not really feel frightened, like those glass screens that float in between "X" and the Carbon Destroyer, to me represents T.V. screens, but they they shatter, showing X that this apocalyptic tragedy is directly affecting him whether he's conscious of it or not, it's ignorant for us to live like X, barely touching the TV screens of reality, forcing our own demise, only then seeing the infinite glory of eternal consciousness in our own deaths. We should see that it's there all along and it's ok to embrace it.

Good post. I also think that the bug is trying to seduce X into breeding another Carbon Destroyer as it emerges from it's back while it's on X's surface. It's seducing X by giving him a different view on reality by opening the eyes on his hands. But while traveling subconsciencely into his own innerself, X realizes that he's been tricked and confronts himself with reality, bursting out a flame into his own real vision which destroys the bug and the Carbon Destroyer in their attempt to expand their parasitic territory.

Basic statement; think for yourself, question authority.

I hope this makes sense. :|

#Notion
02-03-2008, 01:22 PM

Kinda remind you of OTHER TOOL VIDEOS? Vicarious syncs up a little bit more than parabola. Adam does this on purpose, most of the video seems to be irrelevant to the music, but of course, the story as a whole is bred right from it. Then, you throw in the few connections from video to music (in which they're in sync for a small moment) and you have a sort of 'duality' going on between obvious connections and a lack of connection. Adam probably does this to force you in, to 'piss off' your brain enough to question what the hell is going on. Not really sure but that's the style of Tool's videos.

Lotta new fans these days! :)

DON IOTAE
02-04-2008, 06:34 AM
^ agreed. This new approach to video making immediately forces you to look at this video in a way that's fundamentally different from all those other videos that we're conditioned to see...

avalokiteswara
02-20-2008, 05:46 AM
The whole three leg destroyer thing gives me a feeling like watching the painting from Dali:the temptation of sint Anthony, this man in a bare landscape looking at this enormous being

balrog
02-22-2008, 06:02 AM
I think this is a parasite.

Schema
02-22-2008, 06:25 AM
The bug that looks like a cicada

Thought it was a flea.

As for what it means? I have no idea. But. I must make it clear that I don't as such get the video, and don't see as much how it links to the song. Then again, the only other Tool videos I've seen were AEnema and Schism. Remember, new recruit here...

I also think that it's a parasite of sorts, or the heart of it forced out of the flea by the humanoid's resistance to the mass media; this resistance explains the destruction of the "screens" at the end.

Zosimos
03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
The universe is hostile
So impersonal
Devour to survive
So it is, so it's always been ...

tragedy feeds our addiction, pain is enjoyable unless we're in the spotlight. i enjoy the video, respect is due for their hardwork...leaves me wanting more...typical though...i want a full-length album/video, like "the wall" but just visuals to enhance to audio...not that the music itself isn't entertaining but It would make me a lot happier because they won't release a live performence video so i think this would be sufficient

Master_Of_Nothing
03-15-2008, 06:50 PM
I haven't seen the video yet, any idea when it'll reach my shores (New Zealand)?

xyno512
03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Im pretty sure you hit it perfect. Never thought of it that way until now. The bug that looks like a cicada seems to represent the ego, which gives birth to this great destroyer.

Also now that I think of it the whole video seems to take place inside his head. With this great destroyer carving away at the brain.

Yeah the idea of our need to watch such great destruction so apathetically is definitely seen in the cicada reference and the great destroyer you mentioned. (even in the commentary, they refer to the creatures as destroyers)

I'm still a little disappointed that it wasn't stop-motion, but in the same time it opened up a whole new world for Adam's ideas and Grey's art to flourish in. All in all though, 9/10. Maybe once i figure out more about some of the "interconnectedness" of the video, I'll appreciate it more.

Jean Baptiste Spears
03-28-2008, 07:45 AM

it's the only thing that could live in the post-apocalypse world of poor mr. X. think about it: ghostly tendrils spinning and combing the ground, churning up whatever might by some chance grow; the thing almost seems like it should be at the bottom of an ocean, beyond the midnight point, dunnit; this reflects the opening montage, where the sounds play off the rolling shadows like Aeon Blue Apocalypse, but without the hopeful, live undertones--essentially, the opening montage/overture reflects the changes that this world (X's world) has undergone; the 'destroyer' represents the world, and the world represents the ''soul'' of this being.
and poor X has naught but to watch.
until he finds his way to a new dimension...

Jean Baptiste Spears
04-01-2008, 02:07 PM
bump.

apocalypse_sow
04-02-2008, 06:03 AM
it's like, why can't they just tell me what they mean!

Rolo
04-17-2008, 02:00 AM
I haven't seen the video yet, any idea when it'll reach my shores (New Zealand)?

Click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg)

Master_Of_Nothing
04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Sadly my computer is whory and won't allow Youtube to run on my comp
(I'm sure i've told you this before?)

Will check it out at a mates when i can. Until then....