PDA

View Full Version : Interlude time signature

12-04-2002, 05:12 PM
The interlude does vary between 7/8 (or 7/4) and 4/4, but the last two measures before maynard starts to sing remain in 7/8 although they do appear to be in 3/4. The bass plays the same riff that appears throughout while the guitar and the drums accent the dotted eighth notes. There are eight dotted eighth notes which makes 24 sixteenth notes, and the last note that is held out is a quarter note. So that makes a total of 28 sixteenth notes, which is 7 quarter notes, or 7/4.... After that, there are 7 measures of 7/8 and a final measure of 4/4.

Also, during the first half of the interlude, the guitar and bass do kind of play out of phase with each other. If you listen carefully, you'll notice that after the second measure of 7/8, the guitar hits another eighth note before dropping out. So while the song flows through 3 measures of 7/8 and a measure of 4/4, the guitar gives the impression that it is playing a measure of 7/8, a measure of 4/4, and then two measures of 7/8. (Or just as well, a measure of 7/8, a measure of 4/4, a measure of 6/8, and a measure of 4/4) This is by far is the most confusing aspect of the interlude because it makes the song sound off for a beat.

hope that helps...

Torpid_Prey
12-10-2002, 04:24 AM
i never realised this song was so fricken complicated! lol, its amazing what u realize when someone point it out 4 u huh? thanx man u explained most of the song for me -

i knew tool did complicated time signatures, but i didnt think they could make em this crazy - kinda inspiring in a way..............

Creamy_T
12-31-2002, 12:36 AM
tool signatures actually aren't usually too complicated. they are cool though.

the interlude is very simply this -

7 measures of 7/8 then one of 4/4 (repeated quite a few times). basically it keeps 7/8 going until the very end where it adds in that extra A#.

Creamy_T
12-31-2002, 12:51 AM
ohhh wait im sorry at the end the bass stays in 7/8 while the guitar plays 6/8 for 3 measures then plays 10/8 one measure. it sounds more complicated then it is...but it does sound really cool.