PDA

View Full Version : extension of the grudge

sadi
11-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Ahhh, The Patient, a song I can so relate to.

So, we get a glimpse of what we must do to save ourselves. But it seems near impossible to obtain these results in the world we live in. A world filled with constant over-stimulatoin, mindless chatter, and endless distractions. This path of self-evolution does not come without a high price.

How can we ever be sure that we are on the right path? This song, for me, is a nice reminder that we all experience the self-doubt that accompanies this desire to become better. And we think, man I'm still here giving blood and keeping faith, my patience is about to run out. I feel this way all the time...."Maybe I will just give up, just walk away from it all. Ignorant bliss seems so much easier."

But, I guess we should just wait it out a little longer...

J1516
11-19-2002, 08:36 PM
The song doesn't seem like a way to become happy. As a matter of fact I don't think this song has anything to do with patience. The song creates that slow moaning voice and creates the mental strain and breakdown. The ah sound he makes before the final wait it out section makes me think he completely gives up. It sounds like he wants to change his life, not walk away from it. He doesn't really want so much an escape as much as a change. I mean do you really feel more at ease when he's screeching desperately "I must keep reminding myself of this?" It sounds more like he's convincing himself that he's ok when he's being torn apart. The song seems to have a theme of being dominated by yourself or by a government, an addiction, a lover, or anything that you've seen in your life. He can't change. He tries to but decides to wait it out. He's not happy and he doesn't become happy by the end. The end sounds sad and depressed, just like the beginning. He's in an endless circle of strain that he can't seem to find a way out of. That's what I think it's about.

rewnfloot
11-20-2002, 02:17 AM
Ah, I like the different views. I see it more like J1516, but that's more like my situation. I get tired of always helping people and not getting an immediate reward- sometimes even getting screwed over. Sometimes it seems that the more I help others (physically, spiritually, ect), the more my life starts to suck and I really do have to remember why I live like I do. We can choose to continue in our ways when they aren't rewarding (because they will be some day), to change them, or to quit. And sometimes quitting looks like a good option.

Cracker
11-20-2002, 05:01 AM
So far, I think rewnfloot is the closest.

I think that a lot of the songs on Lateralus have a running theme of relationships between people, and I think this song is a prime example.

I think this song is about how its not necessarilly beneficial to anyone when you try to help someone. When you try to help someone, they sometimes become dependant on it, sucking at your good will and intentions like a vampire. You're obviously worse off, and you've ultimately made the other person more helpless. Still, we stay, "Giving blood, keeping faith", leaving the detrimental loop unbroken.

Of course, There's a good chance that I'm completely wrong, as there are many other global themes on this album.

swash
11-20-2002, 09:43 PM
Seems to me, on the most basic level, this song is about keeping faith and patience on the road to healing.

7chakras
11-21-2002, 03:21 PM
although this has nothing to do with what this or any other song on Lateralus means to me, it's clear that the patient is a commentary on the lawsuit struggles within the Tool camp. Maynard wants to keep going and wait it out despite the damaged and broken met along. the path is tedious, but he knows that the rewards will be great if he and the band are patient.

paraflux
11-22-2002, 08:45 AM
I think the only way the guys would waste energy on talking about stuff like their lawsuits is in a blunt wall of anger such as Ticks and Leeches. It's not that Maynard (or the speaker) wants out BECAUSE of the broken and damaged, it's the only reason he's staying, because there is a DESIRE to help those broken and damaged.

sundryan
11-22-2002, 10:56 AM
How can you say it isn't a song about patience? At the very least take a look at the lyrics where he says "Be patient."

I also disagree when you say you think he's waiting for himself to change. I believe he has waiting for someone ELSE to change. The speaker is giving himself fully to the other person, giving blood, keeping faith in hopes that they will transform. It's a very difficult task, but if the speaker didn't believe there was something worthwhile on the other side, they would've given up already. Along the way the speaker is receiving "loving embraces" to see him through; reinforcement that the positive outcome is just around the corner. When he talks of "reminding myself of this," he's referring to the hope that there will be a worthwhile conclusion to the waiting. He's a very patient person.

I agree with the idea of a circle of strain and sadness you brought up. However I don't think he hasn't found a way out yet, he's known it all along. I think that he is just waiting for a reason to leave. One final push that would make him give up, take away all hope. Until that happens, he's just going to wait it out and continue the circle.

As to what this song is specifically about, I don't think any of use know besides Maynard. The lyrics are pretty straightforward, but the situation they describe is vague enough so that we may all apply them to our own lives in a unique way.

Jutti
11-23-2002, 04:54 PM
the song isnt about anything but patience on the path to self realization

wdg
11-23-2002, 07:49 PM
i think everyone's theories are very sound.. although i would have to agree with sundryan the most.. this song is just another amazing example of the wisdom that can be found in tool's music.. very unlike just about anything else out there today.

J1516
11-23-2002, 09:19 PM
I agree, but patience seems like a small part of the song. I think it's more so tolorance. I don't care what the song is specifically about because this song is very personal to me. After I read the lyrics, and made the connection with the music I thought, wow I just got out of this, great timing. As to the title of this thread, I think the first five songs are all extentions of eachother. As the album goes on the songs seem to get more and more personal with relationships. Great interpretation sundryan.

Casious
11-29-2002, 09:46 AM
Ahhh....the patient. One of my all time favorite songs. To me this song shows one that we all go through the experience of what is the point to life. Why do we wake up day in and day out and just wander this existence. What is the point? Basically, it's easy to give up on life and become worthless and say "fuck it" all. But instead of doing that he has decided to still give what he can and take the pain. It kills him to not give up but he believes in man kind and the realization that we can all make a difference in this world.

LyingRealist
12-05-2002, 07:38 PM
I think basically that The Patient is about somebody who knows that everyone else is doing something stupid and he tries to show us, but we are too stuck in the cycle to realise.
or if we do we can't find a way out that we think is easy enough.
i think hes being patient because he hopes that one day everyone will realise and change.
so yeah...
just my take.

jasminæ
12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Please. You don't even know me. You couldn't possibly have hatred interesting enough for me to care about.

Dinner @ 7?

hehe...deal. you bring the knife, i'll bring the whip and some rope.

liecheatsteal
12-25-2007, 09:15 PM
There are some fantastic interpretations on this song posted up here. Lemme drop you'se mine.

The line "A groan of tedium escapes me, startling the fearful" How many people do you think Maynard has said something to, whether it be serious or jokingly or just simply saying anything, and gotten really ridiculous reactions? I believe "Hush" would be the song I'm describing. I can imagine Maynard thinking "Are you serious? Is this a fucking test? It has to be".

With that being said, to me the song is about Maynards life. I think he's trying to say that, without his mothers faith being passed unto him, he would have commited suicide by now. Without the thought of hell or knowledge of heaven he'd have given up on humanity. But through his "tedious path" of life he has found "a loving embrace" (his wife, his kid, his mother, his band and devoted fans) "a desire to heal the damaged and broken" (how many fans do you think have told Maynard that the bands music and his lyrics have changed/helped their lives for the better? I know they've helped me) and lets not forget the "rewards to reap" (this could mean the money, free drugs*, helping people heal, doing what he loves as a job, possibility of getting into heaven). So with all this going on in his life he's just going to keep reminding himself of the good and be patient with himself, his "God", and the people in this world. Just like we all should try to do. Wait it out......

*I'm assuming all "rock stars" get drugs thrown at them for free

Master_Of_Nothing
01-04-2008, 06:41 PM
i see it as being patient and not rushing towards the prize, instead helping others to get to their prizes first. kinda like charity

Mari Jaine
01-21-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree with post # 8 100%.

That's exactly what I've always thought it was about, probably because that interpretation went perfectly with the situation I was in at the time (relationship).

Rolo
01-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Funny that after 5 years a thread can come back to life.

My view on The Patient was opened when i was listening 10.000 days and reading the interpretations on that album.

IMO, the patient is connected to the songs that are related to Maynard's mother. Like wings/10k and Judith for instance.

Master_Of_Nothing
01-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Damn this threads 5 years old? Man, the mods must be lazy lol. My useless thread is still alive too :)

I don't think The Patient is related to Judith at all. I've looked at a possible conection with Lost Keys/ Rossetta Stoned, because of the doctor patient thing

Mari Jaine
01-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Funny that after 5 years a thread can come back to life.

Well, there are only so many threads to post in...so why not, right?

Rolo
01-22-2008, 04:38 PM

TaraChandler
01-22-2008, 09:07 PM
To me this song is like, taking the hard road alone but having someone give you hell the whole time ,and you're just waiting for something good to happen. And just waiting to see if the person can change. To see if the person can love you again.

Master_Of_Nothing
01-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah thats a good interpretation! The persons gonna wait the relationship out.

Rolo
02-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Damn this threads 5 years old? Man, the mods must be lazy lol. My useless thread is still alive too :)

I don't think The Patient is related to Judith at all. I've looked at a possible conection with Lost Keys/ Rossetta Stoned, because of the doctor patient thing

No, too obvious to see the "Patient" so literally.

Master_Of_Nothing
02-12-2008, 08:30 PM
really? cos i thought that the best place to hide something was in the obvious place.

alichain
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow, a 5 year thread.

Theres a lot of really good interpretations here that never even came to mind. I just always assumed it was from the viewpoint of someone who is in a seriously abusive relationship, and like most women in them, is holding on to the hope than one day the abuse will end and they will be appreciated because of brief moments of warmth and love they recieve from the abuser. ("And if there were no rewards to reap,
No loving embrace to see me through") then again I probably should have paid better attention to the rest of the song.

Master_Of_Nothing
02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Probably lol, but thats ok