PDA

View Full Version : the connection to the book the scarlet letter

smartyr
12-04-2002, 02:01 PM
the biggest metaphor in this song is the scarlet letter because if you read the book there are som friggin many connectins it isnt even funny. This is an interesting use of the book The scarlet letter. A truly kick ass book with just as many deeper meanings as a tool album. The idea here is that a scarlet letter is used to punish a person. However in the book it is used to punish a women who is then ostracized for it. as a result of being ostracized she is forced to think outside the conformist boundaries of puritanism and becomes so far advanced from her peers that were trying to punish her but instead made her better than they were. IN the end the punishment is her greatest asset because it allows her to transcend the boundaries of the life that would otherwise surround her and make her soul dead inside form all the bullshit of scoiety. so you can see the very concpet of the book rlates so easily to tool.
. At anycase I would consider a scarlet letterman to be one who wears a scarlett letter and therefore someone who cheated. I don't know if this song is specifically from maynards perspective, ut it may be. The other character from the scarlet letter that this could relate to strongly is thehusband of the adulter, roger chillingsworth. this guy is a compete asshole who will not let go of his grudge against his wifes cheater, who is not known to the town but is only known to him and his once wife. even dimmsdale doesn't know he knows.He being a doctor moves in with the sickly priest and won't let him forget his sins. HE destroys the soul within dimmsdale and makes him so weak it is inescapable. However by doing so he makes himself so obsessed that he is not healthy inside. his soul turns black. HE actually dies a year after dimmsdales sudden death which lets you know that revenge was his life's one pupose. IT killed him. if you read the book this character really seems to embody the song however I get the felling maynard only uses him as a reference point and not as the subject f the song.

Finally the stone.... the physical emobiment of this grudge. perhaps it couild be the actual scarlet letter from the boook.. i'm thinking of scene where hester throws off but puts it back on because her daughter wont recognize her) so there is the cant let go part... there is something holding herster back... but it isn't a grudge although her character is wicked awesome. I'm beginning to feel like it's a combination of chillingsworthand hester. metaphorically that is. HE uses these to character to describe what people need to do. IF they give up what's holding them back like HEster did then they can finally achieve that transcendance that allows utter freedom. yet there are still the others that can't let go. the chillingsworth. PERHAPS IT IS MAYNARDS BATTLE WITHIN TO RID HIMSELF THE THINGS THAT SURROUND HIM AND DISALLOW HIM TO EXPERIENCE THE TRANSCENDANCE MOST OF US SO DESPERATELY DESIRE. HE IS LIKE A CHLLINGSMORTH CHARACTER AND IS DYING INSIDE TO FEEL WHAT HESTER HAS. i THINK MAYBE THAT IS MAYNARDS IDEA TO USE THIS BOOK AS A REFEREENCE FOR THE TWO TYPES OF PEOPLE, just my thought

im_naked_and_fearless
09-25-2003, 12:40 PM
the biggest metaphor in this song is the scarlet letter because if you read the book there are som friggin many connectins it isnt even funny. This is an interesting use of the book The scarlet letter. A truly kick ass book with just as many deeper meanings as a tool album. The idea here is that a scarlet letter is used to punish a person. However in the book it is used to punish a women who is then ostracized for it. as a result of being ostracized she is forced to think outside the conformist boundaries of puritanism and becomes so far advanced from her peers that were trying to punish her but instead made her better than they were. IN the end the punishment is her greatest asset because it allows her to transcend the boundaries of the life that would otherwise surround her and make her soul dead inside form all the bullshit of scoiety. so you can see the very concpet of the book rlates so easily to tool.
. At anycase I would consider a scarlet letterman to be one who wears a scarlett letter and therefore someone who cheated. I don't know if this song is specifically from maynards perspective, ut it may be. The other character from the scarlet letter that this could relate to strongly is thehusband of the adulter, roger chillingsworth. this guy is a compete asshole who will not let go of his grudge against his wifes cheater, who is not known to the town but is only known to him and his once wife. even dimmsdale doesn't know he knows.He being a doctor moves in with the sickly priest and won't let him forget his sins. HE destroys the soul within dimmsdale and makes him so weak it is inescapable. However by doing so he makes himself so obsessed that he is not healthy inside. his soul turns black. HE actually dies a year after dimmsdales sudden death which lets you know that revenge was his life's one pupose. IT killed him. if you read the book this character really seems to embody the song however I get the felling maynard only uses him as a reference point and not as the subject f the song.

Finally the stone.... the physical emobiment of this grudge. perhaps it couild be the actual scarlet letter from the boook.. i'm thinking of scene where hester throws off but puts it back on because her daughter wont recognize her) so there is the cant let go part... there is something holding herster back... but it isn't a grudge although her character is wicked awesome. I'm beginning to feel like it's a combination of chillingsworthand hester. metaphorically that is. HE uses these to character to describe what people need to do. IF they give up what's holding them back like HEster did then they can finally achieve that transcendance that allows utter freedom. yet there are still the others that can't let go. the chillingsworth. PERHAPS IT IS MAYNARDS BATTLE WITHIN TO RID HIMSELF THE THINGS THAT SURROUND HIM AND DISALLOW HIM TO EXPERIENCE THE TRANSCENDANCE MOST OF US SO DESPERATELY DESIRE. HE IS LIKE A CHLLINGSMORTH CHARACTER AND IS DYING INSIDE TO FEEL WHAT HESTER HAS. i THINK MAYBE THAT IS MAYNARDS IDEA TO USE THIS BOOK AS A REFEREENCE FOR THE TWO TYPES OF PEOPLE, just my thought

yeah the book has so many connections a lot of them i found in the introduction. its nice im still reading the book though. but im confused between "The Scarlet Letter" and "The Scarlet Letterman"

spiraleyes
10-08-2003, 09:45 AM
i actually completely agree with you. you just put it down before i did

neochrist
10-08-2003, 10:19 AM
i think the scarlet letter is just a part of the basis for the song, most of the song references to "the book of enoch", if you havnt read it check it out, there are a lot of obvious and suddle references to it, as with most of the tool album, but the grudge has the most obvious ones

Serephin
10-08-2003, 12:52 PM
shut up neochrist, your owned

Mehhico
10-08-2003, 10:25 PM
Oh, come now. Lets be nice, especially when we don't know what the fuck we're talking about.........Serephin. Mr Neochrist has a very relevant point, and I agree 100%.

AllforUnity
10-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey everyone...l'm new to the site. l just thought l'd come and say Hello, and such, and express some stuff. And...Neochrist, you're exactly right...and seriphin, if you HAD read the Book of Enoch, you'd know the referrences in the song. And Neochrist, that was very intuitive of you to pick up on that, l thought l was the only one. ;)

g-bay-be
10-17-2003, 08:12 PM
i think the scarlet letter is just a part of the basis for the song, most of the song references to "the book of enoch", if you havnt read it check it out, there are a lot of obvious and suddle references to it, as with most of the tool album, but the grudge has the most obvious ones

I see how the song relates to chillingswroth but i don't see the rest of the book. Revenge consumes Chillingsworth and brings him down like an anchor. He becomes obbessed and lost in his own grudge. he is transmuted into the "embodiment of evil". This became his life and once he found out what happened he had no purpose. Kind of like a rusty annchor. it only brought him down... LET IT GO!

neochrist
10-17-2003, 08:57 PM
no the anchor part is directly referenced from the book of enoch. here i'll post the passage that most obviously relates to the grudge.

the book of enoch..Section 2. 48:8
"8 In these days downcast in countenance shall the kings of the earth have become, And the strong who possess the land because of the works of their hands,
For on the day of their anguish and affliction they shall not (be able to) save themselves.
And I will give them over into the hands of Mine elect: As straw in the fire so shall they burn before the face of the holy: As lead in the water shall they sink before the face of the righteous, And no trace of them shall any more be found."

this passage is referencing to before the great flood, saying all the unholy will parish. see as it says "as lead in the water shall they sink before the face of the holy, and no trace of them shall any more be found.", this is obviously the part about transmutating the leadin grudges, and the cold and fated anchor. but seriously read the book, and you'll understand a lot more