PDA

View Full Version : Natural Born Killers as a possible influence

(self(other
11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I was watching it the other night and noticed slight parrells that may be inconsequential, but still interesting to point out. Only one segment caught my attention which was the interview with Micky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfPnWJvBoxw), where he is first seen bald. As the light configuration changes to blue, red, and so on... it immediatly reminded me of Maynard during the Ænima tours (big whoop).

Then he starts talking about the cycle of violence, absence of innocence, perception of taboos, realization, embracing light & dark, the inescapable shadow, love prevailing, and being evolved. During his discourse, there was also the imagery of him as a child and a woman's breast which I could possibly link to the oedipus complex, or something along those lines. These ideas aren't original of course, but I also thought it interesting that the movie came out in 94, just before Maynard shaved his head I think.

So as you can see, nothing exceptional, but sweet for me.

ThirdEyeSeed
11-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Cool observation, I definitely think the movie is a work of art, but I'm not sure if it was an influence. Sure, it's possible. Another thing that might support this proposal is that in the book by Alex Grey called "The Mission of Art", he mentions the Natural Born Killers as depicting the raw insanity of the human mind and how people who took LSD (I'm starting to think this was Zig Zag Zen, not sure, sorry . . .) and watched it went on a killing spree. So, if you go from Alex Grey to the allusion to Tool to Alex Grey to the allusion to Tool again . . . . Maybe there is something. I dunno.

Metalgod666
12-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Good movie, not an influence though.

Inner_Eulogy
12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Good movie, not an influence though.

Been a long time since I seen that movie, I should rent it.

Inner_Eulogy
12-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Oh, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas too....another bad ass movie....probably safer to watch while trippin than Natural Born Killers. I wouldn't recommend that movie in that state.

Nikeda-Taylor
01-12-2008, 05:39 PM
I was watching it the other night and noticed slight parrells that may be inconsequential, but still interesting to point out. Only one segment caught my attention which was the interview with Micky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfPnWJvBoxw), where he is first seen bald. As the light configuration changes to blue, red, and so on... it immediatly reminded me of Maynard during the Ænima tours (big whoop).

Then he starts talking about the cycle of violence, absence of innocence, perception of taboos, realization, embracing light & dark, the inescapable shadow, love prevailing, and being evolved. During his discourse, there was also the imagery of him as a child and a woman's breast which I could possibly link to the oedipus complex, or something along those lines. These ideas aren't original of course, but I also thought it interesting that the movie came out in 94, just before Maynard shaved his head I think.

So as you can see, nothing exceptional, but sweet for me.

Hm...interesting observation. Pretty cool you noticed that. I've seen the movie tons of times but didn't notice. Awesome! xp

theamazingtool
09-15-2008, 08:32 AM
i bought Natural Born Killers the other day in a grocery store, believe or not for $5.99

best 6 bucks ive spent...

analyst
09-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas too....

i think i'm one of the few people who just can get into this movie. i don't get it. maybe i'm not intelligent enough or something.

theamazingtool
09-16-2008, 03:01 PM
do some drugs. youll get it...

eulogy508
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
do some drugs. youll get it...

always teh right answer

Inner_Eulogy
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
i think i'm one of the few people who just can get into this movie. i don't get it. maybe i'm not intelligent enough or something.

If you've done hallucinogens in your life than of course you wouldn't get it. And if you have and still don't get it then I'd go with your latter remark.

Evil Once
11-01-2009, 06:58 PM
The Fear and Loathing book is really cool too. Was Natural Born Killers based on a novel?.... wiki wiki wiki

payne123cola
01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Does any body know where I could find that alex grey book? I cant find any of his books in stores.

Valorum
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I've always thought that this was a interesting movie, the colors and images that are flashed in the background really set the mood. As far as this relating to Aenima, apples and oranges, they are both round, yet different colors.