PDA

View Full Version : Mathematical Validity

shifty50fs
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I was always kind of annoyed by the phrase '1 and 1 are 1' because of its blatant disregard for basic arithmetic rules, but sitting in a digital circuits class today I got to thinking: 1 & 1 are 1, if you take & to be the bitwise operator AND.

Hope that makes everyone feel a little better, it sure helps me sleep at night.

orangeisgoood
11-23-2007, 05:19 PM
maybe the line means that 1 & 1 are unified to be 1. like fusing 2 different things together so they are one. i hate going religious but it can also mean that 2 thing are unified and at the same time different, like the holy trinity. (sorry for being a little religious there, but i couldn't think of a better example.)

iAMtheMA!
11-24-2007, 06:45 AM
heh, reminds me of the apc logo (brain)

CrazyDiamond1985
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
one and one next to each other is 11

1 & 1 - 11

i'm not sure, but you could call this the "home" of the Fibonacci sequence. where it all begins. i haven't really tried to understand the song yet, i'm more trying to know what Lateralus is all about now...

if your life represents a spiral (like from the Lateralus song: "Spiral out, keep going"), 11 is where it all starts.

DON IOTAE
11-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I was always kind of annoyed by the phrase '1 and 1 are 1' because of its blatant disregard for basic arithmetic rules, but sitting in a digital circuits class today I got to thinking: 1 & 1 are 1, if you take & to be the bitwise operator AND.

Hope that makes everyone feel a little better, it sure helps me sleep at night.

and with all the little circuit thingies in the back of the cd case of lateralus it all finally makes sense thank you god bye i gotta sleep