PDA

View Full Version : Huitzilopoctli

ReverendMaynard
08-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Here's an interesting and, as far as I've seen, unmentioned theory (I'm ill with searching through all the others to find it).

The Aztecs believed themselves to be the chosen people of their sun and war god, Huitzilopoctli (seems easier just to type H., doesn't it?). Sacrafices- human hearts- were offered up as tribute in order to keep the sun rising (in 1487, 20,000 victims of a great Aztec war were sacraficed in the city of Tenochtitlán). In Aztec theology, and as seen in ancient Aztec art, he is depicted as being a large, blue figure (see Third Eye- "Dreaming of that face again... It's bright and blue and shimmering...") and holds, get this, a mirror in his left hand and a snake in his right.

Heh. That's a bit of distance from the other theories.

Luna Galapogos
08-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Holy shit! That is awesome, I have never heard of that, but that doesn't seem like it is something far from what Maynard would do, or talk about. That is very interesting. There are other parts of the song to consider though, perhaps you could analyze the lyrics to this theory of yours. But whether it works or not, it is very interesting.

ReverendMaynard
08-24-2003, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't assume that he would stick to that single theme throughout the song, and as it is my knowledge of Huitzilopoctli is cursory. Let me do a little more research on the subject.

Here. I found a picture.

http://www.bsablogs.com/Aztecs/picture$25

ReverendMaynard
08-26-2003, 10:03 AM
All right, folks. Researched it. Here it is. A line-by-line analysis of H. considering the Aztec point of view.

www.geocities.com/veralies/Huitzilopoctli.doc

Right click and select "save as".

g-bay-be
09-14-2003, 04:36 PM
All right, folks. Researched it. Here it is. A line-by-line analysis of H. considering the Aztec point of view.

www.geocities.com/veralies/Huitzilopoctli.doc

Right click and select "save as".

Thats insane man... and it could be on the same track as maynard... I understood what you were talking about for awhile... I have actually heard this story before but i never applied it to tool

b3rn3r
09-15-2003, 09:16 PM
cool interpretation but I still don't agree with it.....but you obviously put a lot of time into it...so i commend you...if that'd been me I woulda gave up and said fuck it

ReverendMaynard
12-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Neither do I. Just thought it was fun.

Thrakandor
12-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Hahahaha - very fucking cool. That's just neat

I'm impressed :)

Metamorphosis
12-21-2003, 07:09 PM
wicked man... :D there are some cool themes in there too...

m4yn4rd
01-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Yea, i don't agree either, but interesting.... i guess

radmanics
01-15-2004, 03:53 PM
skin = H man's protection from the night+stars.

Interesting parallels. I however felt it was more a conquoring of some internal evil, perhaps 2 personalities. In light of the repeated Jung theories throughout the album, I'm starting to think it's him trying to defeat his anima because he lulled into his shadow too much... perhaps.

Anyway, brilliant work, just needs to be polished off!

imtheism
01-16-2004, 02:35 AM
pretty sweet. good find.