PDA

View Full Version : Do you think he ever got away . . .

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ThirdEyeSeed
11-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Do you think Maynard ever got away from whatever this song is about? Rather you think it's heroin, his son, himself, or whatever, I want to know if you think he gotten away from the subject he couldn't stand being with- or did he just accept it because he couldn't do anything about it? Uh, let's keep this proof through lyrics only, so we don't get creepy stalkers on here.

I say this mainly because, after reading the lyrics to Jambi, I've been able to kind of relate the two. If his wants and needs are dividing him, I see that as holding him back; if he's too connected to slip away, to fade away, and is dying because of it, I see that as also holding him back.

So . . . Did he ever get away? I'm leaning toward yes, because of the end of Pushit and the entire transcendental feel of the Lateralus CD. But, you know, thought I'd put an interesting question out there.

Oneeye
11-10-2007, 04:05 PM
My personal take is heroin and I believe you are spot on. I think he definitely got away from it. Or at least accepted whatever part of him this song is about. Maybe not in 1996 when it was released, but he seems to have grown a lot. Their whole strive and excellence went into the lateralus sort of explosion of self discovery like you've already stated.

Inner_Eulogy
11-11-2007, 09:55 AM
You guys are idiots, Maynard was never a heroin user.

Tool_Is_Sick
11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Word.....My......Cousin.

dmurf
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM

crack, yes. Herion, no.

Inner_Eulogy
11-16-2007, 12:07 PM
crack, yes. Herion, no.

*sigh*

Oneeye
11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
The amount of posts I have has nothing to do with my age. Being called and idiot doesn't exactly hurt my feelings but if you'd care to elaborate on how you KNOW for sure he never used heroin. It's impossible to know for sure, just my personal take on the song, I have a thread explaining why I believe it's about opiates.

Inner_Eulogy
11-18-2007, 11:24 AM
It's so funny to come back to the albums forums.

n00bs galore... they're so cute when they're that young.

I agree, however..I find it funny you should say that considering your 224 posts and join date of Sept 07

Inner_Eulogy
11-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Maynard would not do crack...psychadelics have always been their forte...
besides their first album was opiate, opium and heroin are made from the same plant
the difference is the method of procurement...silly billy

Idiot.....the title Opiate had nothing to do with them doing opiates. It was based on the figure of speech "the opiate of the masses" related to organized religion.

Inner_Eulogy
11-18-2007, 11:28 AM
The amount of posts I have has nothing to do with my age. Being called and idiot doesn't exactly hurt my feelings but if you'd care to elaborate on how you KNOW for sure he never used heroin. It's impossible to know for sure, just my personal take on the song, I have a thread explaining why I believe it's about opiates.

Because I was chillin in his ranch in Arizona drinkin wine and doing lines and I offered him some and he said no.

If you really knew much or had been around long enough, you would know that the band is not a bunch of herion uses...dumbass

Inner_Eulogy
11-19-2007, 10:44 AM
There's that cynicism again INNER, non heroin users usually don't elude to the use of
the drug, or the use of opiates. I know the saying religion is the opiate of the masses but that is the masses problem. are you a fuckin cop?

No I'm not a cop, far from it actually. Although I am guilty of being cynical as well as having some common sense. I'll leave it at that.

Inner_Eulogy
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
...I have watched you degenerate from a slightly annoying poster to a seething mass of waste on the verge of total cognitive collapse.

Quit posting.

For your own sake.

Quit crying about it, for your own sake. Here's a quarter to call somebody that gives a shit what you think of me.

Master_Of_Nothing
11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
Yeah I think he got away from 'it'
Cuz of the whole "Crucify the Ego" thing from Reflection, reflecting on 'it'
I also see his slightly getting over it but its still raw in 46 and 2

"I've been crawling on my belly
Clearing out what could've been.
I've been wallowing in my own confused
And insecure delusions
For a piece to cross me over
Or a word to guide me in.
I wanna feel the changes coming down.
I wanna know what I've been hiding in

My shadow.
Change is coming through my shadow.
My shadow's shedding skin
I've been picking my scabs again"

Inner_Eulogy
11-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey inner, you may want to read who I was talking to. PROTIP: it wasn't you.

dumbass.

I'VE BEEN PWNED, enjoy it while it lasts....it doesn't happen often

dmurf
11-22-2007, 06:38 AM
*sigh*

I don't know what's worse, the fact that you felt compelled to have to write *sigh* or the simple fact that you don't know the difference between a joke and a 'real' post. maybe you should remove the black shirt for a while and start thinking critically.

MORNING_GLORY
11-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Its sad how kids only come here to bitch and whine at each other, as if because we're all tool fans we should be fighting. You would think tool fans are the most balanced and serene, yet, these forums are proof otherwise.

But back to the topic. I like to believe he integrated whatever was burdening him at the time.

iAMtheMA!
11-23-2007, 10:47 AM
"days away" from what? ut-oh, the final winter...

it's getting colder.

locked in a place where no ONE gooooooooooes!!!!!!!!

pray, 'cause no BODY ever survives...

iAMtheMA!
11-24-2007, 06:38 AM
so it's okay!!! the problem's too far above us. (?)

Oneeye
11-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Inner-Eulogy.. I have been around and followed their career. I know what you are saying of course they are not strung out on heroin. That's not the point. The point was it is possible to use it or have used it in the past, without being full on junkies in the public eye. Many people lived opiated lives without being street junkies. I don't ever believe he was into shooting up heroin and it was destroying his life. But it's possible that he was smoking/snorting/shooting heroin for a period of time and realized he was falling into it.

Regardless you could be absolutely right and he has never in his life done heroin it just happens to be my take on the song and if you read my post you will find out why it's my belief.

Just to be clear here, I am agreeing with you that it's obvious they are not a band strung out on heroin. However having a short lived romance with the substance and not a long term addiction is viable. Could you tell just by looking at him that he's done Acid?

Master_Of_Nothing
11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey very true Oneeye, good point. Its not as though people have neon signs around them saying "ooh ooh, i'm a drug user!".
*covertly switches off power from my own neon sign*
yeah...
You seen nothing, nothing...

Master_Of_Nothing
11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Uriah, posting crap like that is not gonna help you, so cut it out NOW!

H is about....the alphabet?
Heroes?
Heroin?
Hoes?
Hippos?
There's probably hundreds of words beginning with H.

Ah who cares, i just listen to the song, blissfully ignorant.ß

Inner_Eulogy
11-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't know what's worse, the fact that you felt compelled to have to write *sigh* or the simple fact that you don't know the difference between a joke and a 'real' post. maybe you should remove the black shirt for a while and start thinking critically.

Ya' know what else is funny, the fact that you felt compelled to comment on my *sigh*...maybe you should look into the mirror my friend. And I attest as the lyrics say "frown out your one face, but with the other..."

Inner_Eulogy
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Inner-Eulogy.. I have been around and followed their career. I know what you are saying of course they are not strung out on heroin. That's not the point. The point was it is possible to use it or have used it in the past, without being full on junkies in the public eye. Many people lived opiated lives without being street junkies. I don't ever believe he was into shooting up heroin and it was destroying his life. But it's possible that he was smoking/snorting/shooting heroin for a period of time and realized he was falling into it.

Regardless you could be absolutely right and he has never in his life done heroin it just happens to be my take on the song and if you read my post you will find out why it's my belief.

Just to be clear here, I am agreeing with you that it's obvious they are not a band strung out on heroin. However having a short lived romance with the substance and not a long term addiction is viable. Could you tell just by looking at him that he's done Acid?

Point taken. Although he has openly admitted to doing acid.

iAMtheMA!
11-26-2007, 08:12 PM
i've done american currency before. :/ i'm almost ashamed to admit it, heh.

Master_Of_Nothing
11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
What does snakes have to do with heroin, it always sound like something from the past biting maynard on the ass

iAMtheMA!
11-27-2007, 06:15 PM

"hey, 'mind if i bum a cigarrette? i'm trying to quit buying..."
love it. "fuck your god"

Master_Of_Nothing
11-27-2007, 06:16 PM

Must be some good shit lol, everyone in Americas on it...

Oneeye
11-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Point taken. Although he has openly admitted to doing acid.

Touche

I'm just glad I could get across what I meant, I'm glad we got that part figured out.

insaner
12-13-2007, 01:24 PM

how the fuck do you know?

i know this song isnt about heroin, but there is no way to know if herbie ever did heroin or not.

Rolo
12-13-2007, 01:53 PM
how the fuck do you know?

i know this song isnt about heroin, but there is no way to know if herbie ever did heroin or not.

About heroin, yes or no. If so, is it relevant? To write about something doesn't necessarily mean it has to be autobiographical, now does it?

They would should go and digg at least 6 feet into the backyard of almost every deathmetal/grindcore vocalist then.

dj_philharmonic
12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Idiot.....the title Opiate had nothing to do with them doing opiates. It was based on the figure of speech "the opiate of the masses" related to organized religion.
truthfully when i saw cover design for "Opiate" fist thing that comes to mind is "Drugs" How quick we are to stereotype, music, bands, people just to satisfy our own curiosity and well being. But i have learned Tool itself ihas cryptic meanings behing many of their songs. lick like "Eyeballs Deep in Muddy Waters"
I thought they were just lying, but a great way to say it.. Have you evea heard the saying "You're so full of shit yer Eyes are brown." And then thery're others think its bout' "Anal Sex" alrighty then....wel we all interpret in own way.....

Master_Of_Nothing
02-24-2008, 05:08 PM
capital 'D' drugs

Capital 'I' Idiot

Opiate is another dual meaning word, both the drug reference and the religious reference are correct.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-22-2008, 07:52 PM
He experimented with it for a period I think (long enough to get withdrawl). Any opioid causes a hell of a withdrawal. I know this primarily because I have an aunt who was convicted of smuggling heroin from Thailand in the 70's (she used it too, but has been clean for 30+ years), has described it all to me in detail. She is very successful these days, financially and otherwise. Sort of like Maynard is, so it can be pulled off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate.

Like the initial post says, you can find the meaning of the song by comparing/contrasting it with Jambi, and 13th Step (Primarily The Package/Gravity combo, and the journey in between those songs). It is about both drug addiction (and everything else addiction) pulling him down into the "Undertow" (another reference to his "shadow" acting up), and the birth/realization of his son "lifting him back up to the sun/son", and making him want to "choose to live". You listen to 13th Step, you know Maynard has participated in some heavy duty chemical experimentation. This is not an uncommon (albeit cliche) thing for genuine artistic minded, and even intellectual people to do. To explore other facets of themselves, ala "The Doors of Perception".

I will not spare you all a line by line breakdown this time.

H.

What's coming through is alive. - (extreme sense of drug-induced wellbeing)
What's holding up is a mirror. - (reflection on the experience, and/or Devo causing him to think about what he's doing - probably both, maybe even also a "lines on the mirror" metaphore here - triple entendre like in "The Pot")

But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. - (again extreme, but false sense of well being induced by opioids/stimulants primarily)

They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. - (H is one of the "both", and this is a Jungian reference to how humans are the only things that have a "shadow", not drugs, but they will kill you just the same)

The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. - (he is reflecting on how the "sin" or the addiction could have at worst killed him)

My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. - (possible double entendre of blood in the syringe, and Devo being his blood, and the profound feelings these things caused him to have)

And I feel this coming over like a storm again. - (possible double entendre of the rush induced by H, and the addiction taking hold)

considerately. - (* sense of drug induced well being eventually leads to addiction, and sustaining more damage or possibly death from use of the drug, I will not repeat this one - it means the same thing every time)

Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. - (withdrawal from opioids is incredibly painful, negatively mind altering, and the shits, literally)

Drags me down like some sweet gravity. - (continued use/addiction causes eventual clinical depression or worse, but sure does feel good while you're doing it)

The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me open up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. - (already explained these)

I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. - (he kicked the use/addiction because of Devo)

Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me. - (withdrawal from opioids, again, is a bitch - 2 weeks at least for major symptoms to pass, then maybe 6 more months to up to 2 years for residual side effects to pass)

Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down. - (he is incredibly strong to kick it, and come out with his humanity intact)

And the snake is drowned and as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade recalling all of those times. - (done, clean, will never touch it again, has won the battle with the snake "addiction and/or H", can't believe where he was headed, and what it would have done to himself and his loved ones)

I could have cried then. I should have cried then. And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times I have died and will die. - (Devo has become his real addiction, and there is something about the collective consciousness and how it relates to father/son going on here, I think)

It's all right. I don't mind. I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me. - (a bit of a reiteration on the whole experience - he actually misses it some, it felt good at the time, but the overall negative impact and eventual implications the experience had were/are not worth it)

It is heroin I personally believe, but he pulled out of it for good all on his own will (it takes a hell of a strong person to do that, and they are rare). It's about how his experiences with heroin relate to Devo, and vice versa - "he chose to live" (Jambi filled in the pieces for me, as well as 13th Step (especially Gravity) is another part of the puzzle). "The snake" is of course a religious symbol for temptation and sin. I think the lyrics are made purposefully so vague, enigmatic, and cryptically metaphorical to avoid deriving a definitive meaning from. Primarily, because he didn't want things to happen eventually like kids at school telling Devo, "Your dad is/was a heroin addict".

I know there has been a raging debate on this song for years, and alot will probably scoff at this. And I know some of you guys already have this theory. I just thought I would lay it out as concisely as I could. Just my take on it.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Capital 'I' Idiot

Opiate is another dual meaning word, both the drug reference and the religious reference are correct.

The title for Opiate is derived from a Marx quote: "Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes". Translated to English, it means "Religion is opiate for the masses". Which is a slight at religion saying how having religion to fall back on gives you a false sense of well being, just like the real thing. Or less negative in context, it just means "having faith makes you feel good". I am not religious, nor am I anti-religious. Just thought I would fill in the blanks for anyone who wasn't clear on this. I know most of you are.

Corksil
03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
I'd just like to point out...

Before an early demo performance of H. - one of the first times ever heard by the public - Maynard came out and introduced the song as "Half-empty." The title was later changed to H.

"Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down. - (he is incredibly strong to kick it, and come out with his humanity intact)" ---- How do you come up with this? How do walls have anything to do with Heroin?

Seems like a case of "the meaning of this song is outside my reality so I'll overlook very obvious incongruencies because they can't exist in my mind."

Corksil
03-24-2008, 11:17 PM
@OP - He did overcome the thing that was bringin him down.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-25-2008, 12:16 AM

Before an early demo performance of H. - one of the first times ever heard by the public - Maynard came out and introduced the song as "Half-empty." The title was later changed to H.

"Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down. - (he is incredibly strong to kick it, and come out with his humanity intact)" ---- How do you come up with this? How do walls have anything to do with Heroin?

Seems like a case of "the meaning of this song is outside my reality so I'll overlook very obvious incongruencies because they can't exist in my mind."

Like I said, I think the song is written so cryptically on purpose that you can't derive the full meaning from it - it's the only song in their catalogue I'm unable to get a halfway decent interpretation out of (aside from the fillers).

The lyric you question me about is probably not to be taken literally. When you feel good (as opiates can induce you to feel) you let your guard down (your walls) and become more emotional. The skin is his "self", and his humanity, the storm is the addiction, the tears are caused by the pain of him breaking the addiction, and the walls are emotional barriers that he is overcoming by using the drug and then stopping the usage - I would guess that is what he is saying there, but it's just my theory.

If it were entitled H for Half empty, that could be another one of Maynard's famous oh so eloquent and poetic double entendre's, because withdrawal from heroin leaves you feeling, at the very best - "Half empty". Thanks for that bit of info, it is a great insight to the song.

gjamison27
03-25-2008, 05:29 AM
"Without the skin (protection, gaurd, things we hide behind), beneath the storm (trials and tribulations), under these tears (pain and suffering from becoming vulnerable) the walls came down (we let our gaurd down and are no longer trapped and barricaded)."

This whole song can be applied to drugs, fatherhood, behavioral problems, or any other issue that leaves you half empty.

You have to be cautious when taking the mans poetry too literally...

Inner_Eulogy
03-25-2008, 09:41 AM

Yeah well and during another live performance right before playing the song he said something about his son's middle name/initial being H and asked if the audience had any kids in order to reference what the song was about.

So....

AcidRain
03-25-2008, 09:47 AM
H. = Herbert? is that Devo's middle name?

gjamison27
03-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Harrymanback

gjamison27
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Non Seqitur! I love that comic strip Harrymanback!

Rolo
03-25-2008, 12:27 PM
*facepalm*

^
I've been missing this act...

Good times.

gjamison27
03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Good times! DYNOMITE!!!!

gjamison27
03-26-2008, 05:57 AM
I resemble that remark!

Inner_Eulogy
03-26-2008, 09:55 AM
H. = Herbert? is that Devo's middle name?

Yup

Dr.Styles
03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
No, he didn't get away from it - he embraced it.

Master_Of_Nothing
03-26-2008, 01:36 PM
How so? Rosetta Stoned seems to be taking a shot at drug users.
e.g Goddamn, shit the bed

Angel on the Sideline
04-10-2008, 07:39 AM
You've hit on it here. I'm not sold that the "snake" was heroin, but it was a definite addiction of some sort ... could be alcohol or any number of drugs. Maynard has said H. is the initial of Devo's middle name. It could be dualism - H. for heroin, H. for Devo ... or it could be the positive view -- H. for Devo, what pulled him out of it.

But there definitely was an addiction to something at one point and it definitely was a painful battle to get over. And, yes, he got over it. 46&2 is the link between H. and the Lateralus album, and Jambi is confirmation of what you're saying about H. -- it's an updated look back at H. and those times, as well as being about the spoils of fame and staying grounded.

I love your interpretation and think you're on the spot.

And to the original question: Yes, Maynard has put it in the past and moved on.

He experimented with it for a period I think (long enough to get withdrawl). Any opioid causes a hell of a withdrawal. I know this primarily because I have an aunt who was convicted of smuggling heroin from Thailand in the 70's (she used it too, but has been clean for 30+ years), has described it all to me in detail. She is very successful these days, financially and otherwise. Sort of like Maynard is, so it can be pulled off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an advocate.

Like the initial post says, you can find the meaning of the song by comparing/contrasting it with Jambi, and 13th Step (Primarily The Package/Gravity combo, and the journey in between those songs). It is about both drug addiction (and everything else addiction) pulling him down into the "Undertow" (another reference to his "shadow" acting up), and the birth/realization of his son "lifting him back up to the sun/son", and making him want to "choose to live". You listen to 13th Step, you know Maynard has participated in some heavy duty chemical experimentation. This is not an uncommon (albeit cliche) thing for genuine artistic minded, and even intellectual people to do. To explore other facets of themselves, ala "The Doors of Perception".

I will not spare you all a line by line breakdown this time.

H.

What's coming through is alive. - (extreme sense of drug-induced wellbeing)
What's holding up is a mirror. - (reflection on the experience, and/or Devo causing him to think about what he's doing - probably both, maybe even also a "lines on the mirror" metaphore here - triple entendre like in "The Pot")

But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. - (again extreme, but false sense of well being induced by opioids/stimulants primarily)

They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same. - (H is one of the "both", and this is a Jungian reference to how humans are the only things that have a "shadow", not drugs, but they will kill you just the same)

The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been. - (he is reflecting on how the "sin" or the addiction could have at worst killed him)

My blood before me begs meopen up my heart again. - (possible double entendre of blood in the syringe, and Devo being his blood, and the profound feelings these things caused him to have)

And I feel this coming over like a storm again. - (possible double entendre of the rush induced by H, and the addiction taking hold)

considerately. - (* sense of drug induced well being eventually leads to addiction, and sustaining more damage or possibly death from use of the drug, I will not repeat this one - it means the same thing every time)

Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty. - (withdrawal from opioids is incredibly painful, negatively mind altering, and the shits, literally)

Drags me down like some sweet gravity. - (continued use/addiction causes eventual clinical depression or worse, but sure does feel good while you're doing it)

The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me open up my heart again. And I feel this coming over like a storm again. - (already explained these)

I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. - (he kicked the use/addiction because of Devo)

Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me. - (withdrawal from opioids, again, is a bitch - 2 weeks at least for major symptoms to pass, then maybe 6 more months to up to 2 years for residual side effects to pass)

Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down. - (he is incredibly strong to kick it, and come out with his humanity intact)

And the snake is drowned and as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade recalling all of those times. - (done, clean, will never touch it again, has won the battle with the snake "addiction and/or H", can't believe where he was headed, and what it would have done to himself and his loved ones)

I could have cried then. I should have cried then. And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times I have died and will die. - (Devo has become his real addiction, and there is something about the collective consciousness and how it relates to father/son going on here, I think)

It's all right. I don't mind. I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away. Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me. - (a bit of a reiteration on the whole experience - he actually misses it some, it felt good at the time, but the overall negative impact and eventual implications the experience had were/are not worth it)

It is heroin I personally believe, but he pulled out of it for good all on his own will (it takes a hell of a strong person to do that, and they are rare). It's about how his experiences with heroin relate to Devo, and vice versa - "he chose to live" (Jambi filled in the pieces for me, as well as 13th Step (especially Gravity) is another part of the puzzle). "The snake" is of course a religious symbol for temptation and sin. I think the lyrics are made purposefully so vague, enigmatic, and cryptically metaphorical to avoid deriving a definitive meaning from. Primarily, because he didn't want things to happen eventually like kids at school telling Devo, "Your dad is/was a heroin addict".

I know there has been a raging debate on this song for years, and alot will probably scoff at this. And I know some of you guys already have this theory. I just thought I would lay it out as concisely as I could. Just my take on it.

Angel on the Sideline
04-10-2008, 07:40 AM

In this case, "walls" is a metaphor for the way you close yourself off to the world and harden your heart while submerged in addiction.

Inner_Eulogy
04-10-2008, 10:22 AM
In this case, "walls" is a metaphor for the way you close yourself off to the world and harden your heart while submerged in addiction.

Or it could've just simply been emotional walls (hurdles) that he had to overcome. Ever know someone that was dealt a lot of painful experiences as a child and grew up to be non-emotional and somewhat detached? It could just be referring to the birth of his son opening up his heart again and the snake being the negativity (and/or negative temptations) and anger he felt that had to overcome, all drugs aside.

johnnyq 451
04-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Well I remember reading somewhere that Maynard stated that it wasn't about heroin. The interview also said that Maynard introduced the song at a concert saying something along the lines of "You know in those cartoons how theres an angel and a devil on a characters shoulder. Well sometimes it's not always like that. It may just be two friends giving advice that they think is best for the person, but the person may not know what to do." You certainly could interpret the song being about heroin and overcoming an addiction but I think its a little deeper than that.

johnnyq 451
04-14-2008, 04:37 PM
As if overcoming an opiate addiction isn't a deep an harrowing experience?

Not all drug-related songs have to be shallow. I don't personally think it has to do with heroin, but my reasoning has nothing to do with how "deep" the song is.
Good point, I know an addiction can be a deep, harrowing experience, but I think it's about a more emotional experience dealing with other people, But then again its just my interpretation.

Master_Of_Nothing
04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
There be plenty more snakes around yo, but good interpretation. nice commentary anyway, could have done with more jokes

Master_Of_Nothing
04-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh are you gonna smash the 10,000 days abstinence record set by Judith Marie?

Inner_Eulogy
04-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Good point, I know an addiction can be a deep, harrowing experience, but I think it's about a more emotional experience dealing with other people, But then again its just my interpretation.

Yeah, the emotional experience of his son being born.

Inner_Eulogy
04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I'll keep that in mind for the 10,000 Days Super Rivekified Interprestravaganza... 3000

Blah, I already did a long drawn out interpretation of this song months ago somewhere around here

Inner_Eulogy
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Nah, I meant the whole album.

I know, I referring to your interp of H

Master_Of_Nothing
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
A whole album interp? Whatever, you ain't no hercules son. Grow some chest hair before you start shaving.

Inner_Eulogy
04-21-2008, 01:42 PM
A whole album interp? Whatever, you ain't no hercules son. Grow some chest hair before you start shaving.

No, I was referring to just the song itself, not the whole album

blake_bergeron
04-22-2008, 01:39 PM
not to say that i don't agree that it could also be about his son, but how would the title H. fit in with is son??? it's obvious with the heroin metaphor, but how does H. describe or allude to his son???

blake_bergeron
04-23-2008, 05:29 AM
...what?

His son's middle name is H.

does the h in his name stand for something or is it just H???

Inner_Eulogy
04-23-2008, 09:55 AM
does the h in his name stand for something or is it just H???

Not sure, but he has said prior to playing the song live before asking if anybody had children and dedicated the song to his son....or something along those lines.

gjamison27
04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Wait, that's why everyone is saying his son's initial is H.???

blake_bergeron
04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Not sure, but he has said prior to playing the song live before asking if anybody had children and dedicated the song to his son....or something along those lines.

ok, thanks : )

Inner_Eulogy
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Wait, that's why everyone is saying his son's initial is H.???

No, now that you mention it, I think what he did say in concert or an interview about the song once was "my son's name is Devo H. and that's all I'll say about it"

Inner_Eulogy
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Go ask the man yourself, he's said many things about many things. All I know is that is a great double meaning between possibly addiction and the love for his son, both requiring mental and emotional changes within oneself.

gjamison27
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I asked him a long time ago and already know the answer.

I was just ribbing everyone for going on and on about it based on heresay at best...

Oh what fun!

Inner_Eulogy
04-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I asked him a long time ago and already know the answer.

I was just ribbing everyone for going on and on about it based on heresay at best...

Oh what fun!

Ya' know, some parents over-do the whole self esteem thing.

gjamison27
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
All mine is artificial...deep inside I know I'm worthless...

Inner_Eulogy
04-23-2008, 12:27 PM

Sorry to hear that

blake_bergeron
04-23-2008, 12:30 PM

empty is different than worthless... don't make them synonymous and you should feel okay : )

Inner_Eulogy
04-23-2008, 12:32 PM
empty is different than worthless... don't make them synonymous and you should feel okay : )

What if you're worthlessly empty?

blake_bergeron
04-23-2008, 12:33 PM
What if you're worthlessly empty?

we're all empty regardless of what adverb we choose to precede that existence... not using worthless makes for a more peaceful one, i think...

gjamison27
04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Are we not full?

blake_bergeron
04-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Are we not full?

optimistically, yes... scientifically, no... the atoms that make up our bodies are 99.9% empty space... take it as you will... if you consider yourself to be your body, then you are technically mostly empty space... in the scientific 3-D reality of form at least...

Inner_Eulogy
04-23-2008, 01:00 PM
optimistically, yes... scientifically, no... the atoms that make up our bodies are 99.9% empty space... take it as you will... if you consider yourself to be your body, then you are technically mostly empty space... in the scientific 3-D reality of form at least...

Yeah, and a tomatoe is technically a fruit but we're speaking relatively here and the way I see it, my body is a solid mass, not empty space.

blake_bergeron
04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
free your mind...

blake_bergeron
04-24-2008, 05:40 AM
it's empty space with the illusion of solidarity given by the fact that electrons act as a force field against one another. Like charges repel, but covalent and ionic bonds neutralize the repulsion to the point of stasis.

force fields...

Inner_Eulogy
04-24-2008, 05:45 AM
it's empty space with the illusion of solidarity given by the fact that electrons act as a force field against one another. Like charges repel, but covalent and ionic bonds neutralize the repulsion to the point of stasis.

Um, yeah thanks but again I was speaking relatively here, not down to nitty gritty of molecules. I took science too as well as watching the science channel a lot in my free time, I'm well aware of the scientific facts.

Inner_Eulogy
04-24-2008, 05:46 AM
...on second thought, why are we arguing about this again?

blake_bergeron
04-24-2008, 05:51 AM
...on second thought, why are we arguing about this again?

we aren't anymore... it's in the past... and the past does not exist... right now in the present time let's talk about..................................... H. my favorite part... is "i don't mind, i don't mind, i don't MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIND"... but that's just me...

Inner_Eulogy
04-24-2008, 06:08 AM
we aren't anymore... it's in the past... and the past does not exist... right now in the present time let's talk about..................................... H. my favorite part... is "i don't mind, i don't mind, i don't MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIND"... but that's just me...

I would say my fav part is where the beat drops out and it gets calm and your just hear the guitar play for a min then the lyrics come in softly "without the skin..here...beneath the storm...under these tears..now..the walls came down" (then the beat builds up) "and the snake is drowned...and as I look in his eyes my fear begins to fade, recalling all of those times...I could have cried, then...I should have cried then". Which of course all builds up to your point but I love how it builds up to it.

blake_bergeron
04-24-2008, 07:07 AM
I would say my fav part is where the beat drops out and it gets calm and your just hear the guitar play for a min then the lyrics come in softly "without the skin..here...beneath the storm...under these tears..now..the walls came down" (then the beat builds up) "and the snake is drowned...and as I look in his eyes my fear begins to fade, recalling all of those times...I could have cried, then...I should have cried then". Which of course all builds up to your point but I love how it builds up to it.

indeed... that's what i love about tools music... it's not your average: intro, verse, bridge, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus... every song is different... it's like waves in the ocean... the build up to complete climax, the crest, and the crashing... and sometimes theres a build up and no climax and a die out of the sound... just like some waves don't crest and spill over they just go up and then back down again...

Master_Of_Nothing
04-24-2008, 03:17 PM

all yours is artificial? well, everyones self esteem is artificial (manmade).

I'm with Inner on the favourite part of the song. that bassy riff just before the hard out part is just smooth as

blake_bergeron
04-25-2008, 06:15 AM
The band I'm working with now...

do you have anything online of your band that i could listen to???

Venus Oriental
05-22-2008, 05:28 AM
No, now that you mention it, I think what he did say in concert or an interview about the song once was "my son's name is Devo H. and that's all I'll say about it"

I have also read that Devo's middle initial is H (in reference to Maynard's middle name, Herbert, or it could be a play on Jesus H. Christ....). Who knows.

Remembering that Maynard likes to write about people using their middle names, I think H. IS about Devo: his birth and Maynard's struggle with impending fatherhood.
Tool was in its infancy and Maynard had the whole world ahead of him.
Introducing a baby at that time would surely bring about mixed feelings.
I think this part in particular speaks about his girlfriend and the baby:
"They're both totally void of hate,
But killing me just the same."

I also feel that 'Pushit' is a continuation on this theme, namely the strained relationship with Devo's mother (Anna?) and how he felt forced into fatherhood instead of focusing on his career.

I've always felt that Maynard's reluctance to discuss the meaning behind his lyrics was also in part to avoid hurting anyone.
Just an opinion...

blake_bergeron
05-22-2008, 06:41 AM
what does the H. stand for in Jesus H. Christ???

Angel on the Sideline
05-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Hippie

Inner_Eulogy
05-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I have also read that Devo's middle initial is H (in reference to Maynard's middle name, Herbert, or it could be a play on Jesus H. Christ....). Who knows.

Isn't that what I just said?

Inner_Eulogy
05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
what does the H. stand for in Jesus H. Christ???

Henry

blake_bergeron
05-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Henry

serious??? or sarcastic??? if serious, why Henry???

Inner_Eulogy
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
serious??? or sarcastic??? if serious, why Henry???

Half and half actually, being sarcastic somewhat but for whatever reason in the back of my head I think that's what I've actually heard it was before. I could be entirely wrong so I will not stand by those words.

However, H. was for Devo H. Keenan

blake_bergeron
05-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about this

We has stuff now

well hook us up with a link to check it out...

Venus Oriental
05-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Isn't that what I just said?

Yes.
And I said:
I ALSO have heard....

I had your back, man.

FatBox
05-24-2008, 10:59 AM
You're right, the vocals blow.

Inner_Eulogy
05-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Wow, you guys REALLY need a new vocalist. That's horrid. Although the music itself ain't half bad.

Master_Of_Nothing
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
compared to yours ( which sucks so much that you don't dare put it up on the net, and besides, no one would even play bass for your ugly ass ) I think its pretty good.

gjamison27
05-27-2008, 06:01 AM
If he's gonna sing, he definitely should not play the guitar at the same time...

gjamison27
05-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Well why is he and why would you present the art live?

gjamison27
05-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Seems like a big waste of time.

Inner_Eulogy
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Before you pine away

dxs
05-31-2008, 09:53 AM
He is because he started the band and our grumblings haven't consolidated into mutiny yet.

I've been in bands like that.
After a while you'll be throwing him off the boat, anyway.
Actually, wait, after I jumped off the boat, the vocalist jumped after.
The band had no hopes anyway.

I clicked on your linky and added.
Aside from the singing (that yeah, weren't all that flashy), I enjoyed it.

dxs
05-31-2008, 09:54 AM
And I'm not gonna be a suck-up or anything, but I liked the guitar, myself.

dxs
06-03-2008, 08:22 AM
You're welcome.
It sounds really industrial---it has a nice vibe to it.
I guess you intend that?

dxs
06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Your band's vocalist is doing a fairly good job trying to sound like them.
It doesn't really go with the vibe you and the drummer are going for; it sort of threw me off when I heard the staticy industrial trademark clashing with the vocals.

gjamison27
06-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Yeah. He recorded those vocals on a much higher quality mic because he "wanted to make sure my voice stands out in the mix" and such.

Honestly, he's beginning to annoy me. The drummer and I are considering packing up and leaving to start an actual industrial/darkwave project.

I know what you're going through. Since my real band broke up years ago, I'd been jamming with some dork friends of mine. They have about 5 yrs experience between the 2 of them and I'm pretty sure they love nickelback. At first, I justified it by thinking about how much this would help me personally. I was playing a style I hadn't before and it opened some new insights for me. I was playing in E instead of D and really got to experiment and progress my blues scale soloing and all that good stuff. Which it did all of this and then some, it still game down to the fact that this was not where my heart was. It wasn't even music I could really get behind and be passionate about. So after I found our 4th singer, when they wanted to get rid of her for being off key 30% of the time, I realized it was really time to move on. Ever played with a bass player that plays the same strum pattern over four different notes and calls them new songs? Or a drummer that only stops riding the cymbals to sip his beer?

dxs
06-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah. He recorded those vocals on a much higher quality mic because he "wanted to make sure my voice stands out in the mix" and such.

Honestly, he's beginning to annoy me. The drummer and I are considering packing up and leaving to start an actual industrial/darkwave project.

Is it just you two who are going to be working on that project or are you going to gather bandmates?

My bandmate and I often fluctuated between genres, and there was a time in which I succeeded in making a huge pile of industrial/darkwave music. On the other hand, my bandmate was delving into the psychedelic genre. It was kind of strange to see that---we didn't really know where our inspiration came from at the time; we were simply making music.

Now I'm sort of trying to hint at ambient. It's so random, really.

Master_Of_Nothing
06-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Ambient is right up my alley.
So is psychedelic.
Industrial...... not so much
I listened to NIN Downward Spiral.
Catchy Drumming. Nice Guitar/Synth. Vocals are too screamo.
Fuck. What happen to singing like Ray Charles?

dxs
06-08-2008, 02:00 PM
We've got a full lineup ready to go, our singer/synth man and our bassist are just waiting for us to be free.

You're a part of Mute, right? I really dig what you guys are doing, if I'm not mistaken that you're a member. XD

Yes, I'm a member. The other member.
However, I only wrote one song in the four that were out---Fates Pt. 1. My bandmate wrote the other three. I sneaked it on. I wasn't supposed to release it until later---but I was so fed up with other stuff that I frankly didn't give a fuck.

Did you listen to them all? Or which one did you give a listen to?

dxs
06-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Ambient is right up my alley.
So is psychedelic.
Industrial...... not so much
I listened to NIN Downward Spiral.
Catchy Drumming. Nice Guitar/Synth. Vocals are too screamo.
Fuck. What happen to singing like Ray Charles?

Well, NIN isn't the epitome of industrial, though they are one of the most popular industrial bands out there.

I though Downward Spiral was pretty good.
It took a while for me to like the album, but when I did, I enjoyed it a fair amount.

Psychedelic and Ambient do rock, though.

dxs
06-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I know what you're going through. Since my real band broke up years ago, I'd been jamming with some dork friends of mine. They have about 5 yrs experience between the 2 of them and I'm pretty sure they love nickelback. At first, I justified it by thinking about how much this would help me personally. I was playing a style I hadn't before and it opened some new insights for me. I was playing in E instead of D and really got to experiment and progress my blues scale soloing and all that good stuff. Which it did all of this and then some, it still game down to the fact that this was not where my heart was. It wasn't even music I could really get behind and be passionate about. So after I found our 4th singer, when they wanted to get rid of her for being off key 30% of the time, I realized it was really time to move on. Ever played with a bass player that plays the same strum pattern over four different notes and calls them new songs? Or a drummer that only stops riding the cymbals to sip his beer?

My previous band was more dysfunctional.

ufopancakes
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
http://myspace.com/soundofkevlar

warning: a vocalist who doesn't realize he can't really sing is contained in this link

The recording quality of the drums and distorted guitar bug me alot more than the singer's voice. I'm telling you, get your ass in a real studio (or at least with someone better at recording) and it will sound so much better. Its kinda like... chasing a high. I can tell where the song is going, and it pains me to listen to it because if the quality was better they would be really really badass songs.

ufopancakes
06-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah, man, I'm getting more pissed with the quality of the demo every time I hear it. When we first had it done we had the rose-tinted glasses on for it, it was like our baby. These days I'm just embarassed. We sound a hell of a lot better live than I think we ever will on record; the chemistry gets sucked out somewhat by the tracking process.

Wow man, I'm impressed. I expected the Ego defenses to go up, even though it was mostly a compliment.

I bet you do sound much better live. Recording acoustic drums is very tricky... and without the right equipment its damn near impossible.

Check out the Zoom H4. Its a hand-held digital recorder that sounds fucking badass. It has two condenser mics for a stereo sound... and the quality is just amazing. Its 300 bucks... but if you go to local shows, record the band, and let them hear it... you can make 10 bucks a track easily and make your money back.

If I can find my old myspace, I'll shoot you a demo of what it sounds like.

ufopancakes
06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Here we go. These are recordings with my old band. The first one is my first attempt at recording drums, and electric guitar (which sounded shitty).

The second one, named Opus Dei (random temporary name), is the one we recorded with the Zoom H4.

http://www.myspace.com/ourmusic012345

ufopancakes
06-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Here's a better one... The drums were a little distanced, and the drummer kept falling off time... and like Opus Dei, was live. Song 2

http://www.myspace.com/ourmusic0123456

dxs
06-10-2008, 11:44 AM
NIN is to industrial as Tool is to prog rock - a gateway drug. Damn good, but not really representative of the genre people attach to them, although it does lead people towards the real good shit.

Yep yep. <---Haha
It makes people who haven't heard music of the type before get curious about the genre, if anything.

dxs
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Here's a better one... The drums were a little distanced, and the drummer kept falling off time... and like Opus Dei, was live. Song 2

http://www.myspace.com/ourmusic0123456

The drums were a bit off---but the bass was some good shit there.

ufopancakes
06-10-2008, 09:17 PM
The drums were a bit off---but the bass was some good shit there.

Yeah... The drums were way off... Me and the bassist have been playing together for several years... so we were pretty tight... but the drummer didn't have his own kit, so rarely practiced. Not to mention that we didn't play together as much as we should have.

And don't get me started on the bassist. He was the most talented bassist I've ever met... but had a complete lack of motivation when it comes to persisting with music. How depressing.

ufopancakes
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I dig the links you provided. That's the kind of recording I wish we could've had. I mean, we didn't pay anything for the demo since the engineer was a friend of ours, but he had no idea what he was doing, it seemed. He did line-in recording from the amp heads on the strings, and the drum set he had at the studio had one skin on the bass drum with a mic put in front of it. Not to mention that we all just play better when we're all together, we feed off the little improvisations and dynamic shifts that each other uses.

Still, I stand behind the compositions of the songs, because they're fun and I dig 'em. Now if only our singer could ever pull off a solo correctly... every solo you hear that sounds kinda whiny or off is one that he did.

Right on. Yeah your compositions are solid. Line in recording for distorted guitars (if thats what he did, I may be misinterpreting what you said) is a HUGE no-no. What you do is record it with a dynamic mic. If you record it really close to the center of the cone, you get a more treble tone, and if you record more from the edge of the cone, you get a more bassy tone. You just have to play with the placements to get the right tone. And you MUST turn the amp way up, sounds much better.

Yeah... The drums bugged me the most. If you get a bass drum mic, and put two condenser mics above the kit, you get some pretty decent results. In my first and only endeavor, I miced the bass drum, snare and toms with their own mic, and then put condensers on both sides of the kit. It turned out okay, but not great by any means. My main problem was that I had to mix it down before I recorded it, so I could not mess with the volumes or eq individually afterward... So it just turned out that the bass drum didn't have much punch and the ride was way too loud.

Your best bet might be to find someone in school. People in college that are studying this kind of thing are always looking for bands to produce, usually for next to nothing. The Zoom will also make for a very nice demo.

Oh, and I feel your pain about the singer. Its a delicate situation.

ufopancakes
06-11-2008, 02:49 PM
The funniest thing about it is the fact that the friend of ours who did it is still in school -- I guess they didn't tell him not to line in guitars. It all started when he lined in the bass, which was okay, but he had no idea how to manage feedback on our amps. Looking back, I wish I'd have just told him to F-off and moved my amp around, but meh.

Seriously, Kevlar sounds a lot better live. XD. We have a show coming up next week at a venue that does (admittedly decent) live recordings of every band that plays there, I may see if I have the cash to snag a copy so I can post links to the band at its best.

The vocals will definitely still suck.

Well, you can Line In clean guitars and clean bass... but when you add distortion... it sounds like shit. I don't really know why but it just does. Good luck with your next show.

dxs
06-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah... The drums were way off... Me and the bassist have been playing together for several years... so we were pretty tight... but the drummer didn't have his own kit, so rarely practiced. Not to mention that we didn't play together as much as we should have.

And don't get me started on the bassist. He was the most talented bassist I've ever met... but had a complete lack of motivation when it comes to persisting with music. How depressing.

:O
That IS depressing. I'm guessing he didn't really go on with music?

Oh, what do you play?

ufopancakes
06-11-2008, 03:16 PM
He's working at a Valet right now and going to school to become an engineer for amps and pedals... But I don't think he'll see it through (he's that kind of guy). Oh also he's about to get married to a girl he's been with for 2 years. He's one of those people who 'falls in love' with any girl that gives him the time of day. Disgusting.

I play guitar on those tracks, and composed all of them with the bassist. I can also play bass, drums, congas, keys, sing, ect ect. What do you play?

ufopancakes
06-11-2008, 03:17 PM
That recording of "song 2" bugs the shit out of me becuase we kept falling off time becuase of the drummer. Damnitall. I'm gonna clone Danny Carey.

dxs
06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
That recording of "song 2" bugs the shit out of me becuase we kept falling off time becuase of the drummer. Damnitall. I'm gonna clone Danny Carey.

Well, to clone him, you have to get someone to bear the Danny Carey child for you. And then you have to get some Danny Carey DNA, and you have to make sure it's got the drum talent in the right gene or you've just went through all the torment to make a Danny Carey that can't play drums worth of shit.

He's working at a Valet right now and going to school to become an engineer for amps and pedals... But I don't think he'll see it through (he's that kind of guy). Oh also he's about to get married to a girl he's been with for 2 years. He's one of those people who 'falls in love' with any girl that gives him the time of day. Disgusting.

I play guitar on those tracks, and composed all of them with the bassist. I can also play bass, drums, congas, keys, sing, ect ect. What do you play?

;) The bassist sounds like a lot of my friends.

I mix synths, samplers, tracks, shit. I play guitar and keyboards as well, as well as the bass.

:D I've got my high school clarinet knowledged tucked down there somewhere (don't think I'll ever need it).
However, I've got terrible, and I mean, terrible coordination with the drums, so I've steered clear of them for a while, now.

ufopancakes
06-14-2008, 01:09 PM
I seem to have a very natural talent and ear (probably DC's fault) for drums. I've never owned my own kit, I would just mess around when the drummer of whatever band I was in would take a break. I can play a few pretty complicated beats. I can play the main beat for Sober (which was a lot harder to learn than it sounds), Schism, Eulogy (the beat where he's singing "Someone above the crowd, he had a voice...) ...I can also play the Noose from APC as well as most of judith. And this is all dabbling. I need a goddamn kit. lol

dxs
06-15-2008, 01:47 PM
There's some cheap ones out there you can tinker with until you get better at it.
It's a waste to not exercise a talent when something so feeble as the lack of materials gets in the way.

Buy one first chance you get if you feel that you're naturally good.

It was the same with the bass for me.
Frankly, I wasn't a natural at guitar, though with practice, anyone would get good, so I improved.
With the bass, that was much different.
I started to experiment with that after a while, and I got immensely good in the course of two weeks (I've been playing bass for three months). Haha, I don't even own a bass, either. I tinkered on other people's bass guitars, and I'd jam on the school one.
Funnier yet, my hands were tiny. People could crush it just by shaking hands with me. And of course, guitar chords hurt like fuck at first.

Bass, on the other hand (no pun intended), seemed extremely comfortable in comparison---I'm guessing, because of the thinner fretboard.
:) I need to get myself a bass.

ufopancakes
06-15-2008, 04:43 PM
I just checked out your music myspace. I'm impressed. I liked the music, but I especially enjoyed the last track. Request sent :)

blake_bergeron
06-16-2008, 05:59 AM
are you guys still talking about the same thing after 24 days??? wow!!! that's commitment...

dxs
06-16-2008, 07:04 AM
I just checked out your music myspace. I'm impressed. I liked the music, but I especially enjoyed the last track. Request sent :)

Thanks muchly. :) We appreciate the support.
Rivek, too, for adding, if I haven't already thanked him.

The last track was the only one I wrote.
My bandmate technically monopolized the playlist, and I decided to add at least one song that I had written---Fates Pt. 1.

ufopancakes
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
It was by far the best though.

dxs
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Status report on the Kevlar stuff:

I'm starting to coax Morgan (guitar/vocal monstrosity) into playing more rhythm by jamming more solos in places where they don't exist, but would sound cool in the songs we have.

;]
Did you coax him to stop singing?

dxs
06-18-2008, 06:44 PM
quoted for troof

troofey?

It was by far the best though.

Haha, thank you.

My bandmate has issues with sampler/synths/the like, which is probably why you think that. More often than not, she made riffs, sent them to me, and then I took off the horrid synths she used and replaced them with my own. Then we'd send them back and forth and edit from there.

She knew nothing of the mixing process or the compressors, so I was responsible for that, too. Another reason why Fates's drums are easy on the ears, while Neonic's synth crash sounds a lot like torture (I told her that, but she said everyone else didn't mind it...:/)

Aside from that, though, she makes fairly good music, as well.
Strangely enough, all the songs on the mutespace are our individual projects, as I've probably already mentioned.

blake_bergeron
06-19-2008, 05:46 AM
hey rivek... assuming that bincount and posts are seperate, you have a total of over 5000 entries... in the amount of time you've been a member, that's almost 20 posts a day... wow!!!(and that's not a compliment)

Tool_Is_Sick
06-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah Rivek has No life..He will say that he doesnt do anything at his job so he sits on TDN all damn day and doesnt accomplish anything productive besides his bincount and post rate plus he talks to sexy women on his myspace which I think is totally fuckin awesome by the way. I look up to Rivek..Damn that guy is one...cool...Cat...

He will leave a harsh comment for this post because he is cool and awesome in the same sentence.

WHATS UP RIVEK!! TAKE A DAMN JOKE!!!

*facepalm*

"please leave your name after the tone" *Beep*

Master_Of_Nothing
06-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah Rivek has No life..He will say that he doesnt do anything at his job so he sits on TDN all damn day and doesnt accomplish anything productive besides his bincount and post rate plus he talks to sexy women on his myspace which I think is totally fuckin awesome by the way. I look up to Rivek..Damn that guy is one...cool...Cat...

He will leave a harsh comment for this post because he is cool and awesome in the same sentence.

WHATS UP RIVEK!! TAKE A DAMN JOKE!!!

*facepalm*

"please leave your name after the tone" *Beep*

Oh god i hate these things. Uhhh.....

"Hi uh, this is Peter Griffin, and I was um, calling about this volcano insurance thingy...."

Tool_Is_Sick
06-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh god i hate these things. Uhhh.....

"Hi uh, this is Peter Griffin, and I was um, calling about this volcano insurance thingy...."

ha Im not here right now. Im playing a serious game of monopoly..if your about to die...I am truly sorry.

dxs
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Nah. He's been singing more and exercising the voice box a bit, so he doesn't suck as bad as he used to. maybe he'll actually be pretty good eventually, who knows. Brandon Boyd started singing on a complete whim, and he's pretty boss.

Brandon Boyd is pretty good, himself, I have to admit. Not the best guy out there, but his singing is pretty good.

Most people do start off on a whim, singing. Singing is oftentimes categorized differently than playing an instrument---it's technically the only instrument you don't have to buy (most of the time).

Then, the only ordeal is mastering that instrument.

Oh, and about that side project, have you guys manifested it, yet---as in, naming it and gotten work done on it? Hearing some stuff would be pretty sweet.

Tool_Is_Sick
06-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Seriously dude. 20 posts a day is not really all that hard to do. Try it sometime.

Agreed Rivek its not hard to accomplish but to do it every single day over and over for a long, long, long period of time...i'd would get tired of hitting the submit button. To each his own...

If you can get a post rate of 22+...I'll buy you ice cream for lunch everyday until Tool starts to tour again. ;) Do you like chocolate eclairs??

Tool_Is_Sick
06-22-2008, 08:56 AM
LOL!!! Rivek shut the hell up. If a user has a post rate of 12+ im sorry your a loser. I dont care if you say "Oh well i have a band blah blah and I know how to play bass blah blah and this is a place for me to release my stress blah blah" People like me have a career to focus on. 50+ hours a week busting your fuckin ass..the last thing we wanna worry about it making our name heard of this website. Ever do any house chores for you parents, rip out an old shitty carpet to install a fresh new one for a relative of yours that is unable to do such a task or side work to make extra money with any type of skill you might have?? Once you start maturing like a MAN should...your post count wouldnt be a ridiculous amount of 3,000+ (Actually 5,000+) in 10 months.

Also, Why is that you constantly use the words "You people" while replying to comments by other users such as myself. Stop acting like your better than everyone and a fuckin know-it-all all of the damn time. Its really annoying.

Rivek...
Rivek...
Rivek...
Rivek...

I can keep going if you'd like.

Rolo
06-22-2008, 11:41 AM
LOL!!! Rivek shut the hell up. If a user has a post rate of 12+ im sorry your a loser. I dont care if you say "Oh well i have a band blah blah and I know how to play bass blah blah and this is a place for me to release my stress blah blah" People like me have a career to focus on. 50+ hours a week busting your fuckin ass..the last thing we wanna worry about it making our name heard of this website. Ever do any house chores for you parents, rip out an old shitty carpet to install a fresh new one for a relative of yours that is unable to do such a task or side work to make extra money with any type of skill you might have?? Once you start maturing like a MAN should...your post count wouldnt be a ridiculous amount of 3,000+ (Actually 5,000+) in 10 months.

Also, Why is that you constantly use the words "You people" while replying to comments by other users such as myself. Stop acting like your better than everyone and a fuckin know-it-all all of the damn time. Its really annoying.

Rivek...
Rivek...
Rivek...
Rivek...

I can keep going if you'd like.

WOW, impressive....

Tool_Is_Sick
06-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Rivek. Your truly a sad story.

Besides which, why would I do chores for people I don't live with?

You obviously dont give a shit about anybody but yourself. Its sad actually. You should offer to do chores for your family even if they are thirty minutes away. Show some fuckin respect for your elders.

Your soooooooo trying to be like "mope" its fuckin hilarious. Keep tooting your own horn.

I'll just stop here because your Mr. Fuckin Know-it-all. 5,000 posts in 10 months. LOL LOL LOL!!!

Master_Of_Nothing
06-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Oooh ooh what about me?

Wait a moment while i throw on my best suit. I wanna get flamed in style.

Rivek, the fact that you even bothered to reply to these guys insulting you makes you seem like YOU have nothing to say. You could just throw in a random thought on the subject instead and make yourself seem above it all?

Tool_Is_Sick
06-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Oooh ooh what about me?

Rivek, the fact that you even bothered to reply to these guys insulting you makes you seem like YOU have nothing to say. You could just throw in a random thought on the subject instead and make yourself seem above it all?

He doesnt comprehend that. He wants to be the best in all situations. His head is fuckin huge.

"LOOK AT ME! IM RIVEK! BOW DOWN TO ME BITCHES!"

Do you look at yourself in the mirror and wink?

Rolo
06-23-2008, 05:25 AM
I seem to remember you being a huge proponent of that "band" that you untalented morons wanted to start her.

And who invited those untalented morons again?

Rolo
06-23-2008, 05:31 AM
I am better than you and I do know a hell of a lot more than you.

Here's some ego problem, mr. know-it-all.

Go find a cure for cancer, instead of wasting your valuable time on boards like this.

Tool_Is_Sick
06-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Watch out Rolo!! He might tell you how it is and make you look stupid in front of everyone.

Rolo
06-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Nah, Einstein's too busy playing videogames and playing bass.

Cheesegreater
06-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Oooh ooh what about me?

You prove a good point. The first word I think of when I think of Rivek is egotistical, the last one would be humble.

90% percent of his posts are him stroking his own ego, talking about how much smarter he is than everyone else. He literally says it like that, "I'm smarter than you." It's like listening to a child who has more vocabulary at his disposal. IAMTHEMA and Rivek are about the two must shut-off people I've seen on this site. That's one thing they definitely have in common. I'm not even trying to bust on the guy, but he does it ALL the time. You get it all with Rivek, condescending tones, patronization, sanctimoniousness, pious behavior, and megalo-mania all wrapped into one package. You can't help but pity a guy who takes every school yard tongue-and-cheek joke so personally and always has to write lengthy rebuttals to petty put-downs to prove he's 'smarter' than you.

Tool_Is_Sick
06-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Agreed 100% CheeseGrater.

Everyone put on your camo so Rivek cant find us to deliver his egotistical messages.

*Slowly and Quitely grabs the camo suit**

Rolo
06-24-2008, 12:27 PM
LOL @ "real man" & internet (http://toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=2504208&postcount=9)

Tool_Is_Sick
06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Also, I find it hilarious that T_I_S is trying to slam on me now when a quick perusal of my PM box shows that he was trying to basically suck my e-cock the whole time he was probed. "hey bro!" "sup bro!" "you're awesome dude!" "Cool avatar man!" "plz help me get unprobed bro!"... so on, so forth.

T_I_S is a fake who shifts with the tide. I stick to my guns. Gee, I wonder which one is more like being a "real man" as he says... to continue doing as one has done even in the face of adversity, or to turn tail? Gee... I wonder...

:P

Your E-cock? lol shut up. Your a fuckin dumbass. At the time I was sending them messages, I admit I was, but that was when you were actually cool to have a conversation with. Now, its totally one sided and your Mr. Know-It-All with every single topic that comes forward. Im not the ONLY one that has noticed this gay change in attitude.

So stick to the fuckin bin..its where you fuckin belong. Go talk to MOPE or someone or something that actually likes your attitude 24/7.

Its also hilarious that you would even say OVER THE INTERNET that someone is fake? People have opinions and have different arguements than "RIVEK THE GOD" does. Seriously grow up little boy.

I dont stick my tongue out to guys over the internet so dont expect me to Rivek.

Cheesegreater
06-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Rivek, I have to admit that I've witnessed this change in your attitude. I think just about everyone has seen your posts evolve into more ego-centric philosophy over time. I used to enjoy what you had to say as well, but every goddamn time someone has a conversation with you it turns into the same tired discussion you always bring up. "I'm better than you. I have more capability to formulate abstract thought than you. I have evolved and changed and understand things your pea sized brain cannot comprehend. You've devolved and are a waste of genetic material."

Considering how much you bring up how others are evolutionarily behind you, you should try to make a race of people that see things exactly like you. You should pick who gets to reproduce and exterminate those who don't see things like you do. Oh wait, someone already did that.

Riv, my point is this. I'm all about intelligent conversation, but when you always force people to go on the defensive, trying to convince you they are not a waste.. well, it closes a lot of doors for conversation. Any time someone disagrees with you, you automatically talk about how they are 'inferior' because they don't agree with you. You're a smart guy, we know this. The sad thing is that if I met you in real life, you'd probably be a pretty cool guy to hang out with, play some games and have a beer, but on here all you do is bash bash bash all fucking day long for kicks. Goddamn, just try being a little more approachable sometimes, then maybe people would like to have intelligent conversations with you.

ufopancakes
06-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Silly monkeys..

Rolo
06-24-2008, 09:54 PM
As to Rolo... I'm posting in Interact again on the off chance I might be able to get intelligent conversation, the likes of which has been missing here for so long.

Starting a thread called "Helicopter on a giant turntable" is a real intelligent topic, no doubt...

dxs
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Starting a thread called "Helicopter on a giant turntable" is a real intelligent topic, no doubt...

That actually sounds pretty sweet.

LINK ME, ROLO!

To be honest, Interact slows my computer down some.
That's why i refrain from entering the interact sections with the black and gray backgrounds.
It seems to spazz out my machine.

dxs
06-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Funny thing is that I haven't changed my attitude a single bit. You fuckers just got a lot dumber. Go look at the things I said to or about Styx, or PATD. It's the same shit I'm giving you people, because you've devolved somehow to that level.

And I'm not leaving. So enjoy my stay. ;)

As to Rolo... I'm posting in Interact again on the off chance I might be able to get intelligent conversation, the likes of which has been missing here for so long.

:/ I haven't read this thread since the battle.
I have to read it over...

gjamison27
06-25-2008, 08:04 AM
I think the whole thing is sad...

Just a couple of pennies or ten:

1. Everything on the Internet "matters" just as much as anything on this rock. It's all a matter of perspective and opinion.

2. This IS real life. Do you mean that you conduct yourself in a decent manner in-person?

3. I hope we all like to have fun more often than not.

4. Getting your entertainment at the expense of others doesn't really jive with going through life as a decent person. If you show up to work everyday on time, say please and thank you, and shoot homeless people with paintballs at night for the sake of entertainment, you're not a decent person.

Now before you start attacking me in defense, just think about these things. I'm not attacking you as I enjoy most of your banter. I'm just pointing out some issues I found interesting with your post.

Which brings us to the rest of you. If Rivek was alone in his "attacks", then you would be just. When you throw the same petty stuff back to him, you become one and the same. Calling someone a childish name for calling you a childish name, makes you both childish name-callers. This also "fuels the fire" as my man Rivek puts it so in essence, you are doing exactly as he wishes. If that is your intention, then so be it, I rather enjoy it sometimes. If not, then wake up.

We are all the same energy and the same chunk of matter. No one is really smarter because we're all just different sections of the same intellect.

The finger is calling the rectum stupid when one simply needs to be shoved deep inside the other.

dxs
06-25-2008, 08:19 AM
The side project will probably be going up and will be worked on when the drummer and I leave Kevlar after our show in August... to be honest leaving that band seems like a better creative move every single day.

More like a logical move.

How many bands have you been in during the course of your musical "career"?

dxs
06-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Silly monkeys..

I couldn't agree more.

I find it ironically stupid that, though everyone's taking their shots at Rivek and blaming him for his egotistical hoo-ha, blake_bergeron started to provoke him and all the rest of you just lined up to throw tomatoes at him because you couldn't do it yourselves.

In all true honesty, I personally don't think it matters how many posts one has on their bincount. And 20 posts a day isn't that hard to do. Honestly. That doesn't mean you don't have a life.

Sure, A HUGE bincount number says a lot about the person's posts, but that comment was completely random, and completely uncalled for.

And even more depressing is the fact that almost all the people in this thread are all trying to find some blame in the damn man when he never really provoked you to begin with, as he oftentimes does in other fine areas of this forum.

If I were to jump to conclusions, I'd be thinking that you're all too afraid to approach him one-on-one to yell at him over useless nonsense.

dxs
06-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Two in high school, and that pretty much ruined the band experience for me... you know how high school can be.

Then since I moved out on my own, I've been working with a lot of other musicians around here... I'd call them more collaborations than bands at the moment, due to the lack of a totally solid lineup or real organization. Kevlar is technically my third band, but I've jammed with people just to jam more times than I can count at this point.

High school is morbid, running amok with horny children.
I know it all too well.

My first band...gives me a headache.
I don't think I should even call it one.
I was literally run over by incompetents, and this is me being at my subtletest.

My second band is Mute, as you know, and it's very promising---for a minute, I found it too promising; I'm getting used to the dream, however. People say we're capable of turning it into a big thing, and I can see why.

Would you call this new band you're all forming in August your fourth? Or is it just another collaboration, then?

dxs
06-25-2008, 09:01 AM
My bandmate is extremely overconfident sometimes, which worries me.

The limited demo, which sucks, was released somewhat against my will. We were still going through the self-teaching method of using the gear, so the music was a bit...unsatisfactory---for me, anyways.

She liked it, however.

It was an honest piece of crap, but it sold, and I guess teenagers these days will do anything to have friends in high places, which is bull. Everything these days is a damn publicity stunt.

But for the sake of gear and other things, I decided to just let it sell. I, at least, wouldn't take the demo as a serious piece of work.

The guy doesn't finish things?
In our band, things work great because my partner's the starter, while I'm the finisher. It works perfectly, because we bounce off each other with ideas and music...most of the time.

It's likely to become a downright amazing band if you have a finisher in there somewhere.

Industrial's a great genre, and electronically, it's very easy to experiment with. What kind of gear are you guys using?

dxs
06-25-2008, 09:15 AM
That actually sounds pretty promising from this standpoint.

Wow.

Have you guys tried using computer mixing programs?
They work great on live performances---ours also has a vocoder and a lot of synths to choose from, making it an easy job to either choose from the premade or just create your own.

They have phasers, too. Good stuff.

Your drummer's gonna have to stick to tempo and do all the crazy things you made for him live? Have mercy.

How many people are in this group?

gjamison27
06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Just be careful how you two go about it - many a time I've seen someone think they had a great shot, and they did, but they executed poorly and ended up at square one + disappointment.

I am the perfect example :-O

Inner_Eulogy
06-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Silly monkeys..

lol

Inner_Eulogy
06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
And really. Do you expect me to be approachable to people who think that due to plate tectonics, california will somehow fall off of its plate and into the sea? Do you really expect me, or anyone with a shred of common knowledge or a slight bit of commitment to stopping misinformation to just smile, nod, and be like, "yep, maybe your completely wrong and stupid theory is right..."

I don't recall a single person in that thread ever once saying that California "would fall of it's plate". The main objective behind the discussion was that California could, due to some circumstance be under water". I think people are speaking in metaphorical terms when they think of Cali breaking off and falling into the ocean, at least I was.

dxs
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Computer mixing, like Ableton and such? I've considered them, but as of right now we're seeing how far the current approach will take us.

There's 4 of us in the group, really. I'm pretty confident in the drummer's ability to replicate at least most of the stuff being done, none of it's too crazy yet. The beats I've been playing around with aren't IDM, exactly, just kinda trippy.

So what's Mute's next move?

Yeah.
Believe it or not, it saves a lot of cash on gear.

We're on the lyric-writing stage.
We've got lots of material done, so we're going to add lyrics to those that we meant to add them to.

Since the person I'm working with is on vacation, I'm working on stuff on my own right now.

We're really also trying to save up for actual performance gear. If all goes right, we'll be making some money pretty soon...lots of people want to hear us live, and we've just barely started.

dxs
06-25-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't recall a single person in that thread ever once saying that California "would fall of it's plate". The main objective behind the discussion was that California could, due to some circumstance be under water". I think people are speaking in metaphorical terms when they think of Cali breaking off and falling into the ocean, at least I was.

It was in another thread :P

Cheesegreater
06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Rivek, just reading from when you've started posting here, you've been on at least three hours. Not raggin' on you, I do it too, but you always use the "I'm only on thirty minutes a day and it gives me 5,000 posts in 8 months." The reason I bring this up is that this forum is a part of your 'real' life. You take time out of your 'real' day to type on a 'real' computer and get 'real' people to respond to your 'real' thoughts. I forget whose originally credited for writing about the 'internet fucktard anomaly,' I'm not making this up, you can google it. It basically states "Anonymity + internet communication = asshole." Whereas in real life circumstances these people would be totally different. Using your logic, I could hand write an extremely negative letter to you in the mail and then say, "Oh, you we're bummed out about that? That letter isn't real you know."

Anyway, I think gjamison and I are through explaining to you how this isn't 'fake.' If you think the internet exists solely to take cheap shots at others, who am I to tell you it's not. Make of it what you will.

I would actually like to hear some of your music though. What style of music do you like to play?

Rolo
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM
It's a callback to a thread from a few months ago, which you obviously don't know about because you and your cronies take one look at interact and go "ZOMFG THEYRE NOT TALKING ABOUT TOOL THEY ARE HEATHENS!"

LOL

That was funny. As i recall there's not a single thread left at the albums that hasn't gone off topic :)

BTW, my horizon goes beyond TOOL in here, you know that. We've been talking about numbers of non-TOOL related topics in the past. And i don't mean just the small-talk.

I just don't like the hostile attitude, man. Your conversations in the past have shown me that you are an intelligent young dude. This bickering is too childish.

Rolo
06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Well, then, as dxs pointed out, if people don't want bickering, maybe they shouldn't start it.

Re-read this thread carefully, and then you tell me who broke into the conversation about musical projects with attacks.

Don't get me wrong, i know about what happened in this thread. But this started in various threads at te same time. I guess things add up rather quickly around here.

Tool_Is_Sick
06-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Agreed. Im tired of the bickering myself and there is NO need to start "serious" arguements in the future. We seriously need to start getting along and talking about our interests, hobbies, what this Tool song is about, why this song inspires me, etc. Obviously disagreements will happen but lets lose the childish bickering vibe.

Plus, Rivek..your last several posts made me respect you more than I already did. Cheers.

Also, Im extremely bummed right now because I just got fucked by internet fraud I believe.
:( ... I dont want anyone to feel sorry for me but I just thought I'd share this horrible news with everyone.

Make sure your debit/credit cards are super glued to your waist, your hip, and your shoulder blades when your taking a piss, walking the dog, getting a shower and/or having sex with the old lady....

dxs
06-25-2008, 04:49 PM
You get screwed regardless.
I've seen it happen.
With the credit/debit, I mean.

Fraudulent people have found ways to hack you even when they can't touch your debit/credit cards, taking advantage of web payments and such.

if it were me, i'd say to pay with cold, hard cash all the time.

Tool_Is_Sick
06-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Its a really sad story to be honest with you. It involves my "so-called" friend. Well one day I was leaving my friends house after working out with him. Once I got home, I realized that I didnt have my wallet on me. I looked fuckin everywhere for it, in my truck, destroyed my room looking for it, fuckin EVERYWHERE. I soon realized that I placed my wallet on his dresser by his computer so I called him. "Yo dude, I forgot my wallet on your dresser I think" he says "Yeah its right here man" I said "AWESOME, thank fuckin god, I'll be there shortly." So I drove back over to his house which is about 5 mins away.(Those five mins were all he needed to do his fuckin dirty work!!) Keep in mind that this happened about a month ago. I believe he didnt use my information for a little while so it wouldnt be "obvious" but thats just me.

I am constantly checking my account on bankofamerica.com so Im up to date with all of my transactions etc. Today, I realized that there was a charge for amazon.com (which I never ever use, let alone purchase an item) for the amount of $29.95. Being that the ONLY time I ever lost my wallet for an extended period of time, I "assumed" that is was him. Its NOT a definate, but I gotta call bankofamerica tomorrow morning so they can investigate the transaction. They couldnt do it today because the transaction was pending.

Moral of the story: Dont trust anyone?! Its really sad to know that EVEN your friends will stab you in the back at times. But if all goes well he could be facing jail time for fraud. Sucks to him.

BTW, All unathorized transactions are refunded by bankofamerica. So Rivek, Im good with that. Well thats my story. I hope everyone reads this and takes it into consideration....Keep those cards glued to your chest.

Master_Of_Nothing
06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Gotta agree with Rolo here man. Bring back the old preprobe Rivek!

Wish my band would get it together. I'm playing like a virtuoso and they're like three year old kids with sticks. Gotta get away from em

dxs
06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Gotta agree with Rolo here man. Bring back the old preprobe Rivek!

Wish my band would get it together. I'm playing like a virtuoso and they're like three year old kids with sticks. Gotta get away from em

It's even more dumb when the kids with sticks hate you for it.

Tool_Is_Sick
06-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Good to hear that you'll be getting taken care of on that, man. That really sucks. But honestly, in my experience, only friends will stab you in the back, because they're the only ones you let get enough trust to break.

Yeah man it definately blows hard...I think im gonna lock all of my credit/debit cards in a safe and Go 'old fashion" and strickly use cold hard cash...

*E.M.P. from the mother and sun..torn the digital down..*

Rolo
06-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah man it definately blows hard...I think im gonna lock all of my credit/debit cards in a safe and Go 'old fashion" and strickly use cold hard cash...

*E.M.P. from the mother and sun..torn the digital down..*

Terrible story, man. It's not the amount of cash, it's the broken trust that hurts the most, i guess. You'll have a hard time trusting someone in the (near) future...

gjamison27
06-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I think you may need to talk to someone...

dxs
06-27-2008, 12:53 PM
At the same time, however, T_I_S, you're going to have to use your credit at least a little every now and then to lift up your credit score to buy things like house, cars, etc.

Btw, have you guys heard of this chip that people place on ATM machines to grab your pin number?
Afterwards, the identity thief (lol) takes that chip and finds a way to hack into your card and jack your money...
*shivers* Geniuses nowadays...

Tool_Is_Sick
06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate it. I understand the situation I am in and What I have to do to accomplish things like credit scores etc but like you guys have said..it sucks..Money isnt the issue. Its just a peice of paper..its the trust issue that rips me apart. Once again guys, thanks for giving me pointers during this unfortunate event that I am experiencing...

But,

I dont give a fuck!! Im going to the beach tomorrow and Im gonna look at ALLL THE BITCHES!! haha Maybe even talk to one if Im emotionally stable haha This will all be a distant memory...until I return home.. :(

Cheers everyone.

Tool_Is_Sick
06-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Btw, have you guys heard of this chip that people place on ATM machines to grab your pin number?
Afterwards, the identity thief (lol) takes that chip and finds a way to hack into your card and jack your money...
*shivers* Geniuses nowadays...

Thanks for the heads up DXS. Yes, it is a shame the shit people do these days...

ColdLogic
06-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Could you tell just by looking at him that he's done Acid?

YES! (http://toolshed.down.net/pix/mjk/mjkpaloozfem.jpg)

dxs
06-27-2008, 07:06 PM
It seems that people are suggesting to use credit and cash rather than debit nowadays because of that reason.
Since credit requires a signature and an ID, and cash is just cash, they’re safer to use than your average debit card.

ufopancakes
06-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Not to mention that its damn near impossible to get away with identity/credit card theft.

Inner_Eulogy
07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't recommend going cash only just for the fact that putting money into at least a savings account will bear at least some interest. Not to mention the fact that cash can't be used on all purchases.

As far as getting rid of credit/debit cards go, though, that's cool. Both are a bit of a temptation to spend and a potential security vulnerability.

Blah, it's all a part of the matrix.....damn the system!

Inner_Eulogy
07-01-2008, 10:20 AM
YES! (http://toolshed.down.net/pix/mjk/mjkpaloozfem.jpg)

Haha

blake_bergeron
07-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Not to mention that its damn near impossible to get away with identity/credit card theft.

i think it's hilarious that that debt solutions guy, or whatever it's called, got his identity stolen... you know the guy who says "my real social security number is 123-45-6789... that jackass got ripped off... and that's hilarious...

Inner_Eulogy
07-08-2008, 09:31 AM
i think it's hilarious that that debt solutions guy, or whatever it's called, got his identity stolen... you know the guy who says "my real social security number is 123-45-6789... that jackass got ripped off... and that's hilarious...

Never heard of it

dxs
07-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I guess it's not very lucky to have a SSN that goes through every digit in ascending order. ^^

Inner_Eulogy
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
I guess it's not very lucky to have a SSN that goes through every digit in ascending order. ^^

I guess not

blake_bergeron
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM

all right smart guy... that's obviously not his ssn but i don't remember what he said it was... the point being that this asshole thought his company was top shit and he ended getting personally ripped off through a company who "you will never get your identity stolen" through... is all i was saying... i thought it was funny...

Inner_Eulogy
07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
all right smart guy... that's obviously not his ssn but i don't remember what he said it was... the point being that this asshole thought his company was top shit and he ended getting personally ripped off through a company who "you will never get your identity stolen" through... is all i was saying... i thought it was funny...

I think he knew that smart guy....too smart for your own good otherwise you would've sensed the sarcasm.

Inner_Eulogy
07-10-2008, 04:57 AM
I REPEAT

DXS HAS A TWAT

I'm guessing you've licked it

blake_bergeron
07-10-2008, 05:14 AM
I think he knew that smart guy....too smart for your own good otherwise you would've sensed the sarcasm.

who are you to say what my own good is??? smart guy...

dxs
07-10-2008, 05:53 AM
I REPEAT

DXS HAS A TWAT

Shut your face D:<

dxs
07-10-2008, 05:55 AM

I did, I was just making a point. ^^

dxs
07-10-2008, 05:56 AM
I'm guessing you've licked it

Inner_Eulogy
07-10-2008, 06:10 AM
who are you to say what my own good is??? smart guy...

I'm the inner eulogy and that gives me a false sense of security which entitles me to know better than you do....good enough?

Inner_Eulogy
07-10-2008, 06:11 AM

*GASP*....so it's true? Say it isn't so

dxs
07-10-2008, 06:16 AM
Say what isn't so?

Inner_Eulogy
07-10-2008, 06:20 AM
Say what isn't so?

That Rivek licked your twat, which in turn means you really do have one

dxs
07-10-2008, 06:24 AM
He didn't lick anything.

If anyone has a twat, it's him.

Inner_Eulogy
07-10-2008, 06:33 AM
He didn't lick anything.

If anyone has a twat, it's him.

Oooh, sounds like we'll get to see a fight in the schoolyard today at 3

dxs
07-10-2008, 06:34 AM
I should go put my overalls on and sprinkle the floor with gold bond.

blake_bergeron
07-10-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm the inner eulogy and that gives me a false sense of security which entitles me to know better than you do....good enough?

that'll do...

Inner_Eulogy
07-10-2008, 09:59 AM
that'll do...

Case closed...

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
what were you guys arguing about?
i'm too lazy to read right now...>.<

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
They're discussing your fight against Rivek. It's been scheduled at the schoolyard at 3. Be there, or be square.... unless your a chicken. Bwak bwak bwak.

We've reverted to 4th grade mentality for this thread now.

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I see you've succeeded in the avatar we had planned.
kicks ass.

3? How do you know he's gonna be there at three?

Are we gonna have a rock paper scissors fight?

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh wait, it was the gold bond and the overalls fight.
I remember that.

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
I see you've succeeded in the avatar we had planned.
kicks ass.

Why thank you. If you ever want a customized avatar, feel free to ask me and I'll see what I can do. :)

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I should go put it on that website I found it on.

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 10:22 AM
They wouldn't know what he's chopping up though. I think that'd make it less appealing.

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
It's an inside joke.
Heh heh heh.

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm actually wishing that I added on a clown hat and a red nose...

Maybe I'll make those altercations now.

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I think it looks good as is.
Would it be too much if you added those things?

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I don't know. What do you think?

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
O.o
Yep, yep, too much.

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Lmao, I agree. I'm switching back to the other. :(

dxs
07-10-2008, 10:50 AM
If anything, put a pimp hat.
that would be classy.

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Nah, I think he looks good like this. I just felt like doing something in Photoshop.

blake_bergeron
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Nah, I think he looks good like this. I just felt like doing something in Photoshop.

photoshop is awesome...

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Indeed it is Blake. Indeed it is.

I used to make tons of graphics with it, but I haven't used it in such a long time so I decided to start messing around with editing avatars lol.

dxs
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
photoshop is awesome...

And irrationally expensive.

Yast3r
07-10-2008, 05:36 PM

It's practically proven that most people running photoshop have not paid for it. I don't see why Adobe doesn't drop the software price to about 100 dollars. For the amount people use it, I bet they wouldn't mind dishing out that money and in the end Adobe would make substantial amounts of money that they are currently missing.

Stupid corporations.

blake_bergeron
07-11-2008, 05:09 AM

agreed... i'm a designer and i just used our copy(CS3) from work and put it on my home computer... gotta love the perks...

Yast3r
07-11-2008, 05:24 AM
agreed... i'm a designer and i just used our copy(CS3) from work and put it on my home computer... gotta love the perks...

You happy with CS3? I "bought" a copy for a while but was unsatisfied so I went back to using CS2. I found CS2 more smooth and more efficient for some reason.

blake_bergeron
07-11-2008, 05:25 AM
You happy with CS3? I "bought" a copy for a while but was unsatisfied so I went back to using CS2. I found CS2 more smooth and more efficient for some reason.

yeah, i always feel like that when upgrading, but i'm used to the differences now... and illustrator cs3 kicks cs2's ass so that's a plus... indesign cs3 is about the same...

Yast3r
07-11-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm getting a new computer soon, maybe I'll take a look at the new one then. :)

blake_bergeron
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM

have fun : )

Inner_Eulogy
07-11-2008, 08:29 AM

You're getting a Mac aren't you?

Yast3r
07-11-2008, 08:33 AM
You're getting a Mac aren't you?

Nope. An Alienware with 640 gigabyte hard drive and 3 gigabytes of ram. That's right, this thing is a beast! It also is very powerful and can handle video editing really nicely.

I'm a bit biased against Apple products, I tend to feel that they have some good ideas but never seem to deliver. (Other than some of their video suites). Windows is much more accessible, more compatible and easier to navigate, plus I love Windows Vista. (No, it doesn't suck, no matter what people say).

Inner_Eulogy
07-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Nope. An Alienware with 640 gigabyte hard drive and 3 gigabytes of ram. That's right, this thing is a beast! It also is very powerful and can handle video editing really nicely.

I'm a bit biased against Apple products, I tend to feel that they have some good ideas but never seem to deliver. (Other than some of their video suites). Windows is much more accessible, more compatible and easier to navigate, plus I love Windows Vista. (No, it doesn't suck, no matter what people say).

Alienware does have some good shit....what kind of CPU and GPU does it have? I actually haven't had the priviledge of trying Vista yet so I couldn't say

Yast3r
07-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I'll try and find it's model on the internet, I was checking it out at a PC customization shop and was impressed with the specs when I saw them.

Inner_Eulogy
07-11-2008, 09:01 AM
I'll try and find it's model on the internet, I was checking it out at a PC customization shop and was impressed with the specs when I saw them.

Or better yet, just find the page and post a link to that model

Yast3r
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure if the store has a website. It's called Byte This or something. A very generic shop name in Whitby, they make most of the PC's themselves and I was referenced to them by a friend. The don't have a website or anything so I'm trying to find the damn computer elsewhere.

Inner_Eulogy
07-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure if the store has a website. It's called Byte This or something. A very generic shop name in Whitby, they make most of the PC's themselves and I was referenced to them by a friend. The don't have a website or anything so I'm trying to find the damn computer elsewhere.

If you know how, it's almost always better to build your own, and cheaper.

Yast3r
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I was considering that. I also considered buying one from Staples that tickled my fancy. It all boils down to time and whatever is most convenient. I don't think I currently have the time to build my own.

Inner_Eulogy
07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I was considering that. I also considered buying one from Staples that tickled my fancy. It all boils down to time and whatever is most convenient. I don't think I currently have the time to build my own.

Really doesn't take all that long 1 day maybe to get it all right

Yast3r
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Really doesn't take all that long 1 day maybe to get it all right

Have you built one? And how much did it cost approximately?

I want one that'll be fairly advanced and not need upgrading for a while. I intend to push it to the max with a lot of video editing and storage.

Inner_Eulogy
07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Have you built one? And how much did it cost approximately?

I want one that'll be fairly advanced and not need upgrading for a while. I intend to push it to the max with a lot of video editing and storage.

Yeah, I've built a few. A good website to purchase separate items for a good price is www.pricewatch.com although I'd have to go over more details with you later depending on your familiarity with computer hardware. You'll need a good motherboard for starters so that any later upgrades will be compatible without having to replace the motherboard because once you have to do that you have to start from scratch. As far as doing it yourself or purchasing it pre-built, you'd have to add everything up and make the comparison. I would assume it'd be cheaper to do yourself. You definately don't want to buy a proprietary built computer like Dell, otherwise you will always have to stick with their products for compatibilty.

Yast3r
07-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I've built a few. A good website to purchase separate items for a good price is www.pricewatch.com although I'd have to go over more details with you later depending on your familiarity with computer hardware. You'll need a good motherboard for starters so that any later upgrades will be compatible without having to replace the motherboard because once you have to do that you have to start from scratch. As far as doing it yourself or purchasing it pre-built, you'd have to add everything up and make the comparison. I would assume it'd be cheaper to do yourself. You definately don't want to buy a proprietary built computer like Dell, otherwise you will always have to stick with their products for compatibilty.

I am borderline familiar with computer hardware. I know about graphics cards and the like, but not so much the motherboards etc. I took multiple computer technology courses throughout highschool so I am familiar with the insides of a computer and how to take apart/put back together. But to start with just a casing may be troublesome for me.

Inner_Eulogy
07-14-2008, 09:57 AM
I am borderline familiar with computer hardware. I know about graphics cards and the like, but not so much the motherboards etc. I took multiple computer technology courses throughout highschool so I am familiar with the insides of a computer and how to take apart/put back together. But to start with just a casing may be troublesome for me.

Well the case really doesn't matter much at all except for the cooling features. You will want a case that allows for sufficient cooling fans or liquid cooling. (which most do)

Aside from that the case itself is for the looks

Yast3r
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Well the case really doesn't matter much at all except for the cooling features. You will want a case that allows for sufficient cooling fans or liquid cooling. (which most do)

Aside from that the case itself is for the looks

Most of the 'trendy' or 'cool' ones look incredibly generic and gay. I was looking at good computer cases the other day. Most were red with a glass panel with a dragon in the center or something along those lines. I think I'm going to stick with one that's sharp looking, yet generic.

Inner_Eulogy
07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Most of the 'trendy' or 'cool' ones look incredibly generic and gay. I was looking at good computer cases the other day. Most were red with a glass panel with a dragon in the center or something along those lines. I think I'm going to stick with one that's sharp looking, yet generic.

You'll also want a strong power supply that will be able to meet the demands of all the higher end stuff you plan on using. Send me a PM and you'll have to give me an idea of what type of hardware you're looking to use as far as CPU, GPU, RAM, Hard Drive, OS, etc and I'll give you some ideas.

Inner_Eulogy
07-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Or you could just say fuck it and grab the max of all hardware you can use.

Quad Core processor, the most massive Nvidia on the market, as much DDR2 as you can stuff, etc. Worked well for a friend of mine.

lol, yeah, if you got the money to burn

Yast3r
07-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm trying to stick in the $1000 price range. Its reasonable yet not mind-blowing. Plus, I've got to get a good LCD monitor so that'll add on to make the project more expensive.

Inner_Eulogy
07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm trying to stick in the $1000 price range. Its reasonable yet not mind-blowing. Plus, I've got to get a good LCD monitor so that'll add on to make the project more expensive.

Well from what you've been telling me, you're looking at more than that.

Yast3r
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Well there's a good computer at futureshop for $1,100 with all of what I'm looking for, and it comes with a 19" monitor. I'm impressed with it.