PDA

View Full Version : the green dollar

mdc244
11-19-2002, 10:18 AM
As far as "ticks and leeches" goes, I do agree with many that it ispartly in reference to the record company hassles that Tool had to deal with, and most record companies in general for that matter, who try to suck out the dirty green dollar in any way possible.

The advent of the cd burner has struck a lot of controversy, with many bands like Metallica of course bitching about losing money.

However, the fact of the matter is that most bands get the bulk of their money by touring. Tool has done this as you can see , and by doing this they are saying fuck you to the record company and making a shitload of money on their own.

As far as the blank cd's goes, if you look at a band like phish, they ALLOW people to come in and tape their shows and share with other people. They may be losing some cd sales (which isn't much in comparison to their touring $$) but they keep growing, partly in fact because they actually encourage fans to share their music. Later on.

Voldemort
11-19-2002, 10:36 AM
I agree, bands should let their fans share their work, art is supposed to be for the people...but look at it this way; I have never heard of phish (maybe that makes me stupid-so be it) however fast theyre growing but im pretty sure everyone knows who Metallica are...

mdc244
11-19-2002, 10:44 AM
Yea, you're right in that a vast amount of people have heard of Metallica. But , not everyone has bought their album. Maybe if someone burned me one of their albums and I enjoyed it ,then maybe I might just go out buy their other albums in the store to support them or even pay 50$ dollars to see one of their shows.

I mean, they did hold a free concert to tens of thousands of people Philadelphia a couple years ago, yet they are bitching about losing some money (mostly a loss by the record company, not the band) to kids who are listening to their music for free. They would probably do the same thing if they were not a famous band.

Also, it's not like they aren't already multi-millionaires to begin with. They just look like crybabies to me.