PDA

View Full Version : eulogy

slowdiver
08-22-2003, 05:24 PM
The one thing that I see getting out of hand in interpreting a song like this is not interpreting the whole song. you start on line one, and you go down to the last word, and if you string it al l together, and put yourself in the first person, as if you had been the one writing the song, it'll gel . you've almost got to think like mjk was thinking when he wrote the lyrics. some parts of the song seem to point to jesus, but other parts are way off the "mark", so to speak to support that . the entire song put together relates a very angry message, im going tto throw my opinion in and simply state that somebody pissed him off, a friend or a coworker, and this is what came out of that. the metaphorical references are poignant, and the overall sense to me is its all a little sad.
i dont know and of the band members nor do i have and claim on understanding what the bands trying to do; i will say after listening to Tool and APC the way maynard writes it seems a little tacky that the songs about jesus.

so long.

findmyself
02-16-2004, 09:33 PM
I do agree that the songs are poignant, adn I have always had a eally difficult time in piecing all of the lines or stanzas in the songs together, but can see different themes in each verse or what have you. I know that if I read a song or poem that I wrote it seems as though I jump around in my writing as well. It is hard to explain why, but it feels right when I do it, so I have come to accept it.

INNER_STRUGGLE
03-13-2004, 01:38 PM
Most of Tool's songs have many meanings on many different levels. Some are just staright forward. We each get our on meaning out of each and every song. This a just a sign of the greatness of Tool.