PDA

View Full Version : Heroin (Again)

Oneeye
11-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Now I understand that he has said previously how children change you and this song is about choices. That choice is to give up the craving so it wont destroy you.

What's coming through is alive.
What's holding up is a mirror.
But what's singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn this piss to wine.

The heroin that's coming through is alive in the sense that it has an effect on him, ie water doesn't alter you where as the heroin has an effect. It's blissful feeling is looking to turn piss/negative feelings into bliss/wine

They're both totally void of hate,
But killing me just the same.

Both his regular self and the opiated self are void of any form of hate but both states are killing him. The regular state is craving the opiate and the opiate is destructive, although the substance itself is void of any hate.

The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.

The craving hisses at what damage it could do but the body is begging for the release of the opiate begging to be opened up to the substance yet again.

And I feel this coming over like a storm again.
Considerately.

This part strikes me as the most powerful connection to heroin from someone who has been deeply into opiates.

The opiate washes over your body pouring eurphoria through you like a storm, the considerate part is how sweet the release feels. When your body is craving and withdrawals the release felt from the use seems so empathetic like the heroin is considerately washing that away.

Venomous voice, tempts me,
Drains me, bleeds me,
Leaves me cracked and empty.
Drags me down like some sweet gravity.

The voice of craving is so tempting and draining even if your mind wants you to avoid use the voice is making you miserable with tempation, leaving you empty.

I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me,
And considerately killing me.

IF this is about heroin, this section here is almost undoubtly about withdrawal and addiction/craving. Days after use you still feel that itch the craving touching you and changing you. And considerately killing you. I don't see how this could be in any kind of reference to a child why would he want to slip away or fade away? Does he hate his son? He wants to slip away from using but still feels it eating him away and killing him.

Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down.

This is the coming off part, the walls coming down getting beneath that storm.

And the snake is drowned and
As I look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.

I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.

And as the walls come down and
As I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times
I have died
and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind.

As he drowns the craving the snake and looks at this ugly addiction in the face the fear begins to fade. Recalling all the times in life he has had to overcome struggles or battles, he's died a million times in life having to get over challenges. I have died in the past and I will die again It's alright I don't mind. He will reinvent himself as we all do time and time again in the past. Look at yourself 10 years ago, how different were you? You have "died" many times before.

This sort of explanation to me makes a lot of sense since I have been heavily into opiates (I was shot in the face with an AK47 lost an eye and have a face made of titanium, I still am on opiate therapy as an everyday maintainece so I may live a normal life free of agony)

When he has said live before that this goes out to his son and this is a song about choices. To me it is the responsibility of having and a raising a child that has forced him to look this snake in the eyes and conquer it. A song about choices, chosing to control himself.

Also I am not claiming that Maynard has ever been an actual heroin addict he has spoken about drug use and experimenting especially with psychadelics but he's obviously not the burnout typical rockstar with a needle in his arm. I am not at all implying that. But you can easily be a user and still feel the pangs of withdrawal with even a short term use as someone experimenting for as little amount of time as a week or two.

None of us will ever know exactly what Maynard was thinking when he wrote this, and as his life has progressed the meaning may have changed for him as well. Lyrics are open ended. Regardless of his literal intention this song is DEFINITELY ABOUT HEROIN ***to me***, as every single word relates to exactly what it's like... considerately killing me.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-02-2007, 10:47 PM
that is a wonderful take oneeye, the details are fantastic

powertruth
11-03-2007, 01:00 PM
so why not just call the song Heroin?

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-03-2007, 01:40 PM
maybe I will today

Oneeye
11-03-2007, 02:50 PM
H. is usually what Heroin is called on the street depending on where you are in the country. On the east coast it gets called smack a lot, but when you're on the west coast, lets say L.A. the term H. is used for Heroin. Much like people often call many other substances by different names. Blow or yayo for cocaine. Cid, acid for lsd. Pot, weed, grass, bud, marry jane for marijuana. Tweak, crystal, glass, ice for methamphetamines . If it were about Devo why would it be called H.? Or for that matter Half Full, Half Empty. wouldn't that be H and H?

I see where you're coming from but the same can be said for any way you interpret it why just the letter H.? For me it makes even more sense to be *just* H. Because heroin is referred to heavily as just H.

Plus if it were to be about Heroin, i'm not sure he'd be comfortable coming out and saying Heroin, then we wouldn't all be here growing and learning from it and relating it to our lives.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-03-2007, 04:25 PM
word(s)

the_milkman
11-06-2007, 05:06 PM
that's always been my interpretation of the song too.

Oneeye
11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
It's nice to see a few people who can see where I'm coming from. I've always been open to the whole idea of Half Full Half Empty, but opiates just make more sense to me. I guess that's one of the great things about song lyrics, no matter what the author's intent was we all draw our own conclusions. I'd just like to hear why you disagree if you do disagree. The considerately killing me part is the line that touches me so much. As I stated I was shot in the face with AK47 and half my face is made of titanium now. I have a lot of experience with opiates and that line is how I feel about them... days away, I still feel you! Touchin me! Changing me!.... and considerately killing me..

Jambi_the_Genie
11-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, this is what i always thought of the song to be about...

Good job, bra...