PDA

View Full Version : Just laid this one down...

Divine_left
08-21-2003, 08:32 PM
So I finished this track about 10 minutes ago and thought I should give y'all a little preview.

I'm working on an album right now (my 2nd). It's a double CD, the second CD is going to be one long drawn out song (called '2'). This is the first movement, it's called "The Circle Opens" Not a whole lot to it, but I like it that way. Peace.

http://psychosematic.com:3146/whatever/MP3/Track%201.mp3
(about 3MB)

Chris_Brightwell
08-21-2003, 10:30 PM
Good stuff, yo.

elevate
08-22-2003, 09:41 AM
I like the sparseness of it...kind of an open and lonely feel. I listened on some craptastic computer speakers, but offhand I'd say you have a bit too much reverb on that piano - at times it seems to muddy it up a bit. Is that a synth sound you're using for the piano? I don't know if it's just these speakers, but it sounds kinda tinny - almost like a harpsichord....but then I don't know if it's the speakers, or the reverb, or that's just the sound you're after. I'd add a little reverb to the drums just to open them up a bit...maybe a touch of delay too.

Let us know when you've got more done.

holy reality
08-22-2003, 11:46 AM
i thought it was sweet but i didn't like the low drums... they sounded way too thin... some reverb or small delay or something would sound nice over them.

deviatedwolf625
08-22-2003, 11:58 AM
Mmm ... I like it. Very scrumptious

Divine_left
08-22-2003, 01:19 PM
...offhand I'd say you have a bit too much reverb on that piano - at times it seems to muddy it up a bit. Is that a synth sound you're using for the piano?

It's a fruity loops synth. Right now it's the closest I can get to a real piano sound. That explains the reverb, without reverb it sounds disgusting. With a little echo, you get more of a realistic piano sound.

To the rest of you: Thanks for the input. I've been fooling around with stereo and effects all morning, and whenever I get a cleaner version out I'll post it here.

elevate
08-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Try this (http://www.kvr-vst.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft=i&type=8&f=0&fe=0&win=1&free=1&un=1&sf=0&sort=1&rpp=15&Submit=Search) for a different piano sound. Here's some links (http://www.synthedit.com/links.htm) to a bunch of VST stuff.

Are you using the Fruity reverb too? If so, IMO it blows. If you can spend a little money, the Ultrafunk Sonitus suite of plugins kicks piles of ass - by far the best value in plugins.

Divine_left
08-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Try this (http://www.kvr-vst.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft=i&type=8&f=0&fe=0&win=1&free=1&un=1&sf=0&sort=1&rpp=15&Submit=Search) for a different piano sound. Here's some links (http://www.synthedit.com/links.htm) to a bunch of VST stuff.

I feel dumb, but I downloaded that piano link you sent me and I can't figure out how to open it up....all I get is a .dll file, which leads me to believe its some sort of plug in. But where do I plug it into?????

The Psychokinesis Thesis
08-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Did you make this tune with fruity loops? Im not familiar with this stuff but im interested.

Elgyn
08-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Nice chilled out song.
I found it a little weird, as soon as I listened to this song it sounded familiar, and I realised that it uses the same Chord progression (same key too) as a '3 Doors Down' song - Kryptonite I think its called. It doesn't sound like you ripped it off to me, and I'm not suggesting that. I just remember chord progressions, and I learned the 3 Doors Down song on guitar.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not meaning to criticise. I like the song, its got a nice feel to it.

. . o O o . .

elevate
08-22-2003, 07:21 PM
I feel dumb, but I downloaded that piano link you sent me and I can't figure out how to open it up....all I get is a .dll file, which leads me to believe its some sort of plug in. But where do I plug it into?????
Just drag the .dll file into your VST plugins folder. You can find out where this folder is from within Fruity Loops. I believe it's under settings/options (I don't have FL installed on my new computer here yet or I'd check for you). Just poke around, it's in there somwhere. Anyway, I also believe there's a 'scan for new plugins' option when you're selecting effects. Do this after you copy the .dll into the folder and it should all be good.

Fink
08-23-2003, 12:54 AM
Nice chilled out song.
I found it a little weird, as soon as I listened to this song it sounded familiar, and I realised that it uses the same Chord progression (same key too) as a '3 Doors Down' song - Kryptonite I think its called. It doesn't sound like you ripped it off to me, and I'm not suggesting that. I just remember chord progressions, and I learned the 3 Doors Down song on guitar.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not meaning to criticise. I like the song, its got a nice feel to it.

. . o O o . .

I wrote this chord progression, once and everybody steals it. It goes I - IV - I - IV - V - I. I also wrote a few others with I, IV, and V. Goddamn people ripping me off.

Divine_left
08-23-2003, 03:42 AM
I wrote this chord progression, once and everybody steals it. It goes I - IV - I - IV - V - I. I also wrote a few others with I, IV, and V. Goddamn people ripping me off.

Hahahahah, Fink that is the best thing you have ever said. Seriously, ever.

The chord progression is Bm-Bm-GM-Am. As far as straight up chords goes, it's one of the more popular. That's why it sounds ripped off. In the music world, there are only a handful of really decent chord progs. The trick is finding a unique melody to fit into one of the better sounding ones.

For more proof, Almost every Metallica song written before 1993 is in E minor. This might still be true, I just haven't really listened to any Metallica after 1993.

And finally, thanks for the plugin help. I write music, I do not play with software. You understand.