PDA

View Full Version : My take on the song sober

raalmus
10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
I am new to these forums I have wanted to post this for a long time but have never got around to it. This is my opinion on what i believe Sober is about and only that. The song title Sober to me could not be about the wrestling with addiction. Being Sober is being aware of your surroundings, having an acute sense of reality not necessarily the opposite of drunkeness. This song is a lamentation a plight of some one who is facing a dire reality somebody who craves to escape through insobriety but cannot. The first thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the official lyrics are 'just before the son has come' when he clearly says because the son has come and 'Jesus, won't you fucking whistle something but the past and done' and i believe he says jesus wont you fucking whistle something from the past is done. This action this statement to me is the cause for all of the persons anguish. The next thing that really stands out to me is 'why cant we start this over''I just want to start this over'. An obvious regret over something that has occured. According to the bible there were two 'comings' of Jesus. The first being his presence in human form with his 12 apostles. The second was much more cryptic. His disciples had asked him what would be the signs of his coming they spoke of a time that he would return. In the book of Revelations Jesus is referred to as gaining authority as king and ruling first over the heavens then later over the earth. Many scholars believe this is his second coming or a second presence among mankind. One of the first prophecies Jesus was supposed to fulfill was to clean the heavens and throw Satan and the demons down to earth. Revelation 12:7-9. Verse 12 goes on to say 'be glad you heavens and those who reside in them woe for the earth and the sea because the devil has come down to you having great anger knowing he has a short period of time. I believe the whistle blowing reference is that of Jesus like a referee blowing the whistle upon Satan and his followers. Something from the past being gone is the confinement and judgement that is now the fate of this individual like a long awaited prison sentence. In the supporting verses the person speaks of being a liar, complicating things, and him wanting what he wants all of these would be feelings of someone facing reality but not quite resigned to their fate. The last reference that makes me wonder is that of a stalking butler. Since when do butlers stalk? The only thing I can think of is that Jesus spoke of a slave who would wait for his return and would be aware of the signs of his coming. In reward this slave would be put in charge of his masters belongings and over his whole house. That would be a butlers job. This only really stands out because when Jesus gave this parable he gave it at the same time that his disciples had asked him what would be the signs of his coming, and that the slave would be awake awaiting his masters return. I believe this song is written from the perspective of a demon who has lost his angelic privledges how he wishes he could escape his reality in the same fashion a homeless person might escape what they consider an intolerable existence.
I know this explanation is quite out there and if it is completely untrue well I hope it is at least interesting. There are a couple more tool songs that have some quite unusual references that I have dwelled upon for sometime and have an equally dramatic interpretation of them. The Grudge and Schism. If you enjoyed this I plan on sometime soon posting my explanantions of those two also.

useyourtool
11-01-2007, 04:33 AM
Hey I'm new too and i find it very interesting. Why not post your other two explanations? I agree on how it probably is about a person who cannot escape from an acute reality.

liecheatsteal
01-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I am new to these forums I have wanted to post this for a long time but have never got around to it. This is my opinion on what i believe Sober is about and only that. The song title Sober to me could not be about the wrestling with addiction. Being Sober is being aware of your surroundings, having an acute sense of reality not necessarily the opposite of drunkeness. This song is a lamentation a plight of some one who is facing a dire reality somebody who craves to escape through insobriety but cannot. The first thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the official lyrics are 'just before the son has come' when he clearly says because the son has come and 'Jesus, won't you fucking whistle something but the past and done' and i believe he says jesus wont you fucking whistle something from the past is done. This action this statement to me is the cause for all of the persons anguish. The next thing that really stands out to me is 'why cant we start this over''I just want to start this over'. An obvious regret over something that has occured. According to the bible there were two 'comings' of Jesus. The first being his presence in human form with his 12 apostles. The second was much more cryptic. His disciples had asked him what would be the signs of his coming they spoke of a time that he would return. In the book of Revelations Jesus is referred to as gaining authority as king and ruling first over the heavens then later over the earth. Many scholars believe this is his second coming or a second presence among mankind. One of the first prophecies Jesus was supposed to fulfill was to clean the heavens and throw Satan and the demons down to earth. Revelation 12:7-9. Verse 12 goes on to say 'be glad you heavens and those who reside in them woe for the earth and the sea because the devil has come down to you having great anger knowing he has a short period of time. I believe the whistle blowing reference is that of Jesus like a referee blowing the whistle upon Satan and his followers. Something from the past being gone is the confinement and judgement that is now the fate of this individual like a long awaited prison sentence. In the supporting verses the person speaks of being a liar, complicating things, and him wanting what he wants all of these would be feelings of someone facing reality but not quite resigned to their fate. The last reference that makes me wonder is that of a stalking butler. Since when do butlers stalk? The only thing I can think of is that Jesus spoke of a slave who would wait for his return and would be aware of the signs of his coming. In reward this slave would be put in charge of his masters belongings and over his whole house. That would be a butlers job. This only really stands out because when Jesus gave this parable he gave it at the same time that his disciples had asked him what would be the signs of his coming, and that the slave would be awake awaiting his masters return. I believe this song is written from the perspective of a demon who has lost his angelic privledges how he wishes he could escape his reality in the same fashion a homeless person might escape what they consider an intolerable existence.
I know this explanation is quite out there and if it is completely untrue well I hope it is at least interesting. There are a couple more tool songs that have some quite unusual references that I have dwelled upon for sometime and have an equally dramatic interpretation of them. The Grudge and Schism. If you enjoyed this I plan on sometime soon posting my explanantions of those two also.

Paragraphs dog, collect your thoughts and organize into paragraphs. Not trying to be a dick but it's way easier to read that way. I dig your thoughts though. I find ideas that are "out there" are more interesting anyways. At least you're using your mind.

guitarguru85
01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
I agree that this is an interesting point of view on the song, and you certainly put a lot of work into your interp. I commend you for that. I also agree that when Maynard sings about being "Sober," he is not referencing drugs.

However, as all of us are entitled to our own interpretations of the lyrics, I have a slightly different one. I liken this song to "Hurt" by NIN. I feel that there seems to be the same sense of self loathing permeating both songs. While "Hurt" is about how addiction ruins the narrator's life along with all those close to him, I think that "Sober" is more simple. The narrator of the song is saying that he is not perfect. That he is a selfish person who at times will do things that will hurt the other person. Anyone who has been in a long term committed relationship knows that the more you love someone, the greater their ability to hurt you. What the narrator/speaker of the song seems to intend by saying, "Why can't we be sober?" is simply, "Why can't we just be honest with each other?"

In my interpretation the narrator/speaker of the song has had an argument, conflict, etc. with his/her significant other and they are now trying to sort through it. I think that the narrator is warning the person that they love that they will hurt them, that they will be selfish, they are not apologizing for anything, but instead wants to start over and attempt to be honest this time. It seems to me that he is saying, "I am human" but to trust him/her.

To me when "Sober" is used in the song it is in the sense of a "sober reality." We have all heard that term. However, the beauty of music is that we are entitled to our own intrepretation and everyone takes something different away from it.

girldk
03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree with the "sober reality". The real drug here is the shallow world. Why can't we start this over - a new beginning of life -Ænema. Actually i think that you all have your personal drug: a boy/girlfriend, alcohol, drugs, work..

toolrox19
07-25-2008, 04:56 PM
you do know that when maynard wrot most of sober he waas in high shool, just thought it might change your perspective a little

theamazingtool
07-25-2008, 05:55 PM
and where did you learn this, may i ask

toolrox19
07-25-2008, 06:02 PM
; ]

thats all

theamazingtool
07-25-2008, 06:14 PM
ohh, i get it

; ]

toolrox19
07-25-2008, 07:36 PM
yea its usa jabroney, you like that term alot so i thought id thro it in there,

but if you look i bet you will find out that he wrote this in HS, im not nice so i wont just tell you

theamazingtool
07-26-2008, 10:07 AM
yea its usa jabroney, you like that term alot so i thought id thro it in there,

but if you look i bet you will find out that he wrote this in HS, im not nice so i wont just tell you

YOU are the jabroney

ya jabroney

Inner_Eulogy
07-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Both of youz get yer candy asses outta here

theamazingtool
07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
hey inner, dont you have a parent teacher conference or something to attend?

Inner_Eulogy
07-30-2008, 09:42 AM
hey inner, dont you have a parent teacher conference or something to attend?

Don't you have some memory training to do? My son's only 4

theamazingtool
07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
where did you get your clothes, the toleit store?

i never had any clue how old your child is

Yast3r
07-30-2008, 12:57 PM

i never had any clue how old your child is

Don't you have spelling classes to attend?

Inner_Eulogy
07-31-2008, 09:14 AM

I don't get it, is that some sort of measely attempt to make a joke at me? Not to mention, terrible spelling.

theamazingtool
08-02-2008, 10:40 PM
its from anchorman. i am comparing your comeback to that of Brick's, the retarded guy.

...as for the spelling, i knew it was wrong when i wrote it, just too high to care/correct it

Inner_Eulogy
08-04-2008, 10:07 AM
its from anchorman. i am comparing your comeback to that of Brick's, the retarded guy.

...as for the spelling, i knew it was wrong when i wrote it, just too high to care/correct it

Right. Ok....try me back after some of that homeschool education actually kicks in.

Watch-the-Reign-Fall
03-31-2012, 05:32 AM
I looked at it as matching an experience I had when I used DMT. Who I assume to be God sat me down and explained to me the reason for our collective connection to all matter in the universe in a way I can't quite articulate. After it was done I thought to myself why can't we be sober and see this?