PDA

View Full Version : So loud...

The Border Line
11-19-2002, 10:11 AM
While some people tend to believe that Eulogy was written about specific religious figures with overzealous premonitions regarding themselves, (namely, L. Ron Hubbard, Aliester Crowley, and Jesus Christ) I would be much more inclined to believe that the scope of Eulogy runs along much broader terms.

The phenomenon of people following someone above the crowd has been seen across the ages, on scales as large as great world leaders to petty thieves, from Jesus Christ to the high school pecking order. Maynard, in my opinion, is pointing out that the majority of these people aren't messiahs, but rather hypocrites who, if actually put to the test, wouldn't pull through the way they had said (and perhaps thought) they would. [Would you die for me? Don't you fucking lie] Those that follow them are deaf, blind and dumb sheep who can't think for themselves or question authority. [Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so eager to identify with someone above the crowd]

What's important here is that the followers aren't attracted to the "messiah" because they agree with him or because he has something intelligent to say. Rather, it's simply because he can talk louder than anyone else. [He had a voice that was strong and loud... ...No way to recall what it was you had said to me]

I think it's quite clear that Eulogy is the embodiment of the Question Authority speech of Maynard's, and as with all of the other tracks on Aenima, I think it's a pretty fucking brilliant song.

He had alot to say.
He had alot of nothing to say.
We'll miss him...

OGT
11-19-2002, 03:03 PM
nice ideas on eulogy there...do you go to UMass Amhert or UMass Lowell or anything?...if so were you at the Lowell show?

The Border Line
11-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Nope, I go to NMH just a couple miles north. I missed the Lowell show, but I went to the Amherst show last October and the Manchester, NH show last August. My first two Tool shows, and all I can say is: wow.

useful_idiot
12-03-2002, 05:57 PM
"DONT YOU STEP OUT OF LINE dONT YOU FUCKING LIE"

My thoery on the song is he is talking about Jesus, it could be put into anyone's scencario too. I think it could also be about Bill HIcks... but anyways that one line where he screams dont u fucking lie... i think its God yelling at us to know our place... he died for us we should atleast know not to lie.