PDA

View Full Version : Dictionary

Hogpile
08-19-2003, 06:03 AM
I don't know about anyone else on here, but I think a dictionary option right next to the new thought/reply with a quote options would greatly enhance some of the conversations in quite a few of the threads round these here parts. I know, I know, you could just minimize TDN and do your own search but by the time you've done that and found the shit your looking for, the thought process you've had is gone. Personally, I have an ok vocabulary, but sometimes theres a big difference between words I know how to use, and words I know how to spell. I also think that this would cut down on alot of the flaming that goes on around here from the self pro-claimed "grammer police" that seem to assume someone's point is null and void just because they used a word in the right context, but spelled it wrong. Course if you did this Fink would longer have anything to post about. heh

Cronos
08-19-2003, 02:34 PM
I think you mean a spellcheck. Dictonaries are for defining. Besides, do you know how extensive a dictionary is?

trippletaurus
08-19-2003, 02:50 PM
I've wanted a spell check option since my first post. I don't really need to know how much time elapsed, the feature in the top right corner. I proof before I send but have always suxked at spelling. :)

Hogpile
08-19-2003, 10:50 PM
I think you mean a spellcheck. Dictonaries are for defining. Besides, do you know how extensive a dictionary is?

No, I mean a dictionary. Not only is spelling a problem on here, but alot of using words out of context. They wouldn't have to program their own dictionary into the site just a quick link either where I mentioned above, or as an option at the bottom of your post message box. I don't know it just sounds like a good idea to me. I know I would find it useful.

BackToMyKnees
08-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Yeah, then we could all look up the definition of "Heh". I wonder if it's anything like: "People use this word to signify taht they are being facetious and/or sarcastic or are just joking in general". I bet not though.

dawn
08-25-2003, 08:48 AM
I think you mean a spellcheck.

Yes pleez...a spell check wood be grate...I hav contimplated typing my posts in werd to uvoid unnessesary, hypocritical phlaming...but this iz the computer age...I should hav access to anything at teh meer touch of a button...thanx...

: P

Hogpile
08-26-2003, 05:35 AM
Yeah, then we could all look up the definition of "Heh". I wonder if it's anything like: "People use this word to signify taht they are being facetious and/or sarcastic or are just joking in general". I bet not though.

Heh. Fuck man, now your trolling for my posts just keep on yammering(you could look that up too, if we had a spellcheck)about the injustices done to you. You ****. heh

BackToMyKnees
08-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Heh. Fuck man, now your trolling for my posts just keep on yammering(you could look that up too, if we had a spellcheck)about the injustices done to you. You ****. heh

It would seem as though that was the case, but no, it's just a coincidence.

You hetero.

Heh.

holy reality
08-29-2003, 04:07 PM
i propose that we each get english teachers to sit behind us and proofread everything we type....

that would be sweet...

but you know what pisses me off? when i want to use a word, but I forgot it... like umm.... i can't think of an example, but I can think of similar words to it, but they don't feel quite right, and i'm looking for this specific word, but i just can't remember it.....

i don't care much about spelling at all

so a thesaurus would be more useful for me

Hogpile
09-04-2003, 07:20 AM
i propose that we each get english teachers to sit behind us and proofread everything we type....

that would be sweet...

but you know what pisses me off? when i want to use a word, but I forgot it... like umm.... i can't think of an example, but I can think of similar words to it, but they don't feel quite right, and i'm looking for this specific word, but i just can't remember it.....

i don't care much about spelling at all

so a thesaurus would be more useful for me

Yeah having English teachers would be tight too. Then we would have someone to beat on when we got bored with spelling shit wrong.

Pro_Art
09-28-2003, 08:03 PM
If you have Internet Explorer, you can download this...

http://dictionary.reference.com/tools/toolbar/?r=6

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)

Hogpile
09-29-2003, 11:28 AM
If you have Internet Explorer, you can download this...

http://dictionary.reference.com/tools/toolbar/?r=6

Peace,
Pro Art (Protocol Artisan)

Thanks man, I do, and I will.