PDA

View Full Version : Boo to jesus!! -Tool

Ace Starflyer
12-03-2002, 08:11 PM
I tend to disagree with the idea that this song is not anti-religous and only anti-ignorance.
"If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you."
That could easily be jesus talking, and i'd guess that it is. I've never heard of any televangelist claim that he himself is holy. Maybe i'm just not watching enough TNN on sunday mornings. But, IF (and i realize that it could be just my interpretation) it is jesus, then this song is quite anti-christian.
"My God's will
becomes me.
When he speaks out,
he speaks through me."
jesus did say that he speaks with the father's authority. And, jesus would say "my" in referring to the judeo-christian god ("my god, my god, why have you forsaken me"). I dunno how that could be interpreted as not Jesus. The last part is just sarcasm, i think. What do you all think? feel free to argue with me if you want on my IM.

hyeboy
12-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Ah! For argument’s sake, what the hell....

Exhibit A: I have a bootlegged CD from '96 called "Third Leg" (I’m sure most of you do to). Maynard was actually quite talkative before most of the songs. His short little speech before playing Opiate word for word, not paraphrased:

“Ever heard of Jesus, or Buda? Or Krishna, or Muhammad? Any of those guys? They had some pretty good ideas. But then their agents started trying to make some money on them and fucked everything up! Never trust an agent! This song is about those agents…”

I left a post about this already ("you did the reverends bidding, not mine"), but I'll mention it here again because this intrigues me. Everyone always points to obvious lines and immediately assumes that this makes Maynard an atheist. Maybe he is, I'm certainly not going to claim to know. But why does everyone ignore other lines that may prove otherwise? Like in Ænema when he says "I'm praying for rain, I'm praying for a title wave" or Thomas by APC where he’s "Humble and helpless, learning to pry...Just praying for you to show me where I'm to begin". Um....praying to who? Or Parabola and "this holy reality, this holy experience". How about some of his comments on the official "A Perfect Circle" website:

Do you hate God?
I don't hate anyone. When I say "fuck your god" I'm not speaking of the actual god. Just YOUR god.
Why have you denounced our Savior?
I've never said anything even remotely derogatory about Michael Jordan.

Hmmm......kind of odd for an atheist to say I'm not referring to the actual god. How can there be an actual god? And our savior is MJ? No, but some people think he is. That's the "YOUR god" part he's referring to. Most people today don’t worship a “supernatural being”. They label ordinary people as god.

Once again, just more anti-blind faith sentiments. Believing someone else's ideals instead of studying the source yourself for answers. Maynard has mentioned time and time again how straight, unadulterated information is pure. It is us that determines how that info is used or presented. Religions twist, add, and delete “the word”. For what reason? Control, greed, who knows? Tool hates this, that much is clear. And there's a good chance that they may be atheist, I'll give you that. But to go out on a limb and say they’re DEFINITELY atheist is an arrogant statement to make considering none of us has sat down and discussed it with any member. They would much rather have us throwing around thoughts, ideas, and information so we can learn and come to conclusions for ourselves. The reason for that is because they have some what become gods in peoples' eyes themselves, and the minute they give you answers, they become the agent you blindly follow! “Think for yourself, question authority” (yes, even Maynard ;)

Ace Starflyer
12-04-2002, 08:36 AM
I see what you're saying, and i didn't ever say that Tool is definitely atheist. The song is clearly not pro-christianity, was my point. i think that, given the lyrics to the song, there's more evidence to me that the speaker for most of the song is jesus, as compared to some religious dominatrix or something. People who use religion to exert influence over others know that they can't call themselves holy and be accepted by a mainstream audience. That said, the quote from your bootleg kinda ends the debate on what Tool meant to say with the song. Meh... yay for open interpretation!

48&2
12-07-2002, 03:04 AM
I always think of those corrupt priests when I listen to this song....especially in the lyrics 'we both want to rape you' this is a very powerful line that is rather sarcastic and can be applied to many corrupt priests of today ie petaphiles....

So try listening to it with that tone and maybe the light will shine through....

spiral out @

OpiAtE_666
12-08-2002, 03:24 PM
think the song is not just about "corrupt" religious leaders. Its about religious leaders in general and the idea that so many people give away their money to "God" but its really just a system of men who want to "rape" them.

I don't see the song as specifically atheistic, although I personally am an atheist, I do see it as anti-religious.

DXRocker73
03-15-2003, 02:04 AM
No i think it's anti-blind faith, and not particularly bashing religous leaders, but those who follow them blindly.

Solidus Mijæ
03-27-2003, 01:07 PM
Precisly, DX. 'Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.' Blind faith at it's core. I think it may also be bashing the leader who target such weak individuals. If you can't figure out your own beliefs, become an agnostic, not a sheep.

Please note that I am not saying anything bad about agnostics...

Bay
04-03-2003, 07:04 PM
so some have claimed that this song is not anti-christian, i would almost agree with you if it weren't for the "jesus christ why dont you come save my life now, open my eyes blind me with your lie now" suggesting that the "message" of jesus is a lie. that said i can also see the anti-blind faith aspects of the song, but you have to admit its atleast a little anti-christian

LearnedStudent
04-03-2003, 07:50 PM
If Tool is so anti-religion, why are Christian and Buddhist beliefs recurring themes in Maynard's lyrics? It is obvious that he believes in some sort of higher power, he is just unhappy with the earthly representations of that power.

marcus
04-04-2003, 12:38 AM
I believe it to be an attack on organized religion in general. There are many factions of christianity that think all the other factions of christians are doomed to hell over the interpretation(mans) of a few words or passages. I think the underlying message of this song is fear any man who tells you he knows what god wants or means. Remember the cover of the CD has what appears to be a demon in a priests outfit. To me this means beware of organized religion in general,as any where there is organization there is power and where there is power there is corruption.

sircorn
04-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Solidus Mijæ
Precisly, DX. 'Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.' Blind faith at it's core. I think it may also be bashing the leader who target such weak individuals. If you can't figure out your own beliefs, become an agnostic, not a sheep.

Please note that I am not saying anything bad about agnostics...

I have a live version from new york, in which he says," deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow. What you need is someone strong to use you. Its about what most tool songs are about, exactly what is said above. Don't become a blind follower, of anything not just religion. Think for yourself adn decide what you think is right. Following is fine as long as you have your own mind in the matter. This is the same themem for many tool songs. Hush, H. , Hooker with a Penis, Ænima, reflection, lateralus, and more obviously, Third Eye.