PDA

View Full Version : Overthinking, Overanalyzing

Aenima7988
10-09-2007, 09:12 PM
This song is without a doubt about tripping BALLS. Are the aliens hallucinations? Metaphors for the trip? I don't know, but in the first line he mentions DMT and Ecstacy. I'm just surprised it took him half a song to mention acid. I don't think this song needs half as much analysis, or at least not the kind of analysis that people are giving it. My only question is, what is he saying ABOUT tripping balls? Is it just a chronicle of the craziest trip he's ever had? Is it the chronicle of someone else's trip? Is tripping balls to the point that you see aliens and shit yourself a metaphor for something else- drugs as a metaphor for something weird rather than something weird as a metaphor for drugs, something Maynard's known for?

I think it might just be a goof song, with all the Grateful Dead references, and of course shitting the bed (typical)

Aenima7988
10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
and what's Yogi DMT?

Aenima7988
10-09-2007, 09:20 PM
and why does he say "and i didn't even graduate from fuckin high school!" I thought he graduated AND went to West Point. So does this mean it's a narrative of someone else?

Aenima7988
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
and why so many heys?

Inner_Eulogy
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
and why does he say "and i didn't even graduate from fuckin high school!" I thought he graduated AND went to West Point. So does this mean it's a narrative of someone else?

It's already been said that it was NOT about Maynard. It was the story about a friend of his known as Dave. This was already clarified in a newsletter.

Aenima7988
10-10-2007, 10:23 AM
which newsletter? Half the time I don't think the songs are about Maynard, so I was expectiing that. But I don't like that it's about Dave. He says it's like that time Dave floated away- the speaker is drawing a connection to Dave (whoever that is), but it's not about dave. Right down to the syntax, if the narrator and the man who floated away that time were the same person, wouldn't he have said "like that time I floated away"?

MORNING_GLORY
10-10-2007, 01:00 PM
The way he rambles on throughout this song, it sounds to me like he's mocking druggies. I doubt it's about one person in particular, you'll only waste time if you look for the exact person it's about.

This song seems to point out the irresponsibility of people who take psychedelic drugs. If you've ever read DMT: The Spirit Molecule, you know that alien encouters and extradimensional beings are not uncommon. Its believed by some that psychedelic drugs (under the right circumstances) can allow you to glimpse into dimensions that parallel our own. It seems that the being's physical appearance take on the form of something familiar (or intentionally unfamiliar) to the psychonaut.
In this case, our narrator is obviously more concerned with brand names and "stuff" rather than spirituality and everything that tripping entails. He is confused and dumbfounded by the experience, he doesn't understand whats happening to him, and he panics, shits the bed, wigs out and loses all sense of control.
During this experience, he actually makes a loose contact with these other beings mentioned above, however, being the self-involved egotist he is, he misinterprets their information, and believes that the beings tell him he is the "chosen one", the one that'll save us all with his priceless information. Sounds pretty stuck up to me.

All in all, this sounds like a warning to all those who use psychedelics as a recreation and a party-thing rather than a spiritual journey. You will have a bad experience if you don't at least research whats going to happen to you. You must have some kind of understanding of the effects of these drugs, and they are not to be taken lightly. Even if you understand, that doesn't make you ready for them. You must be balanced mentally and emotionally. Don't do drugs for fun, they can be incredibly more beneficial than just to get fucked up.

As Terence Mckenna put it, you're not just visiting those parallel environments for yourself, you're representing the entire human race when you enter those realms.

Inner_Eulogy
10-10-2007, 07:48 PM
The way he rambles on throughout this song, it sounds to me like he's mocking druggies. I doubt it's about one person in particular, you'll only waste time if you look for the exact person it's about.

This song seems to point out the irresponsibility of people who take psychedelic drugs. If you've ever read DMT: The Spirit Molecule, you know that alien encouters and extradimensional beings are not uncommon. Its believed by some that psychedelic drugs (under the right circumstances) can allow you to glimpse into dimensions that parallel our own. It seems that the being's physical appearance take on the form of something familiar (or intentionally unfamiliar) to the psychonaut.
In this case, our narrator is obviously more concerned with brand names and "stuff" rather than spirituality and everything that tripping entails. He is confused and dumbfounded by the experience, he doesn't understand whats happening to him, and he panics, shits the bed, wigs out and loses all sense of control.
During this experience, he actually makes a loose contact with these other beings mentioned above, however, being the self-involved egotist he is, he misinterprets their information, and believes that the beings tell him he is the "chosen one", the one that'll save us all with his priceless information. Sounds pretty stuck up to me.

All in all, this sounds like a warning to all those who use psychedelics as a recreation and a party-thing rather than a spiritual journey. You will have a bad experience if you don't at least research whats going to happen to you. You must have some kind of understanding of the effects of these drugs, and they are not to be taken lightly. Even if you understand, that doesn't make you ready for them. You must be balanced mentally and emotionally. Don't do drugs for fun, they can be incredibly more beneficial than just to get fucked up.

As Terence Mckenna put it, you're not just visiting those parallel environments for yourself, you're representing the entire human race when you enter those realms.

Bravo! Very well said.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Agreed. Very well thought out man.

ButIForgotMyPen
10-12-2007, 05:53 PM
that was definatly intresting to read... but is that was maynard is really trying to interpret?

Inner_Eulogy
10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
that was definatly intresting to read... but is that was maynard is really trying to interpret?

Don't you mean convey?

slamminsalmon
10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
he said just before this song at bonnaroo "this song is about you guys"

the_milkman
10-15-2007, 04:52 PM

holy shit, i could not have said that better.

MORNING_GLORY
10-16-2007, 08:54 AM
My original interpretations of this song wasn't quite as fitting... I thought it was about me at first (being a former high school drop-out and all). This song was sort of a wake up call for me. There was a point when I was a big mushroom enthusiast, and I compared everything I knew to my mushrooms trips (to try to find answers, I suppose). Although I was nothing like the guy in this song, I did kind of depend on my trips to feel my spirituality. I now realize I don't need the drug to feel it, I just needed it to open the door and give me a glimpse of my spirituality, now I try to get there on my own.