PDA

View Full Version : So I popped 10,000 Days into my stereo after listening to Lateralus....

blindfold_off
10-03-2007, 09:56 PM
...And Damn if Vicarious isn't an awesome song. The beat of the song fits the mood so well and everything from the guitars to the bass to the drumming and vocals kick all forms of ass. And I just noticed that at the beginning while singing about the news stories you can hear a "TV" on in the background. That was fucking awesome. Vicarious rocks!!!

blindfold_off
10-03-2007, 10:00 PM
I have the song on repeat at the moment. I really should move on to the rest of the album, but all in due time.

blindfold_off
10-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Don't get me started on Jambi. That track also kicks mucho ass.

blindfold_off
10-03-2007, 10:08 PM
The riff that's playing 4:08 in, rocks my mind.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-03-2007, 10:45 PM
okay...what about wings for marie? than 10,000 days, than The pot...Keep going man what the hell??? I was enjoying this...YOU FUCKIN DISSAPPOINT ME!

Inner_Eulogy
10-04-2007, 09:33 AM
...And Damn if Vicarious isn't an awesome song. The beat of the song fits the mood so well and everything from the guitars to the bass to the drumming and vocals kick all forms of ass. And I just noticed that at the beginning while singing about the news stories you can hear a "TV" on in the background. That was fucking awesome. Vicarious rocks!!!

Almost a year and a half later you finally noticed that? idiot

wearethestories
10-04-2007, 01:49 PM

lolz.

blindfold_off
10-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Yeah, way to go. You are so f'ing cool.

blindfold_off
10-04-2007, 09:38 PM
okay...what about wings for marie? than 10,000 days, than The pot...Keep going man what the hell??? I was enjoying this...YOU FUCKIN DISSAPPOINT ME!

Oh, I'm sorry. Do I have to prove myself to you? Jerkstores.

blindfold_off
10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Maybe I should have phrased it differently. I should have said that I appreciate the song now even more so than I realized.

wearethestories
10-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Maybe I should have phrased it differently. I should have said that I appreciate the song now even more so than I realized.
While I think Inner_ and others are hilarious, I also understand that they're kind of being jerkfaces.

Which is inherent in TOOL fans for whatever reason.

It might have been good to cover your bases a bit more and add the MORE to why you think this song kicks so much ass. You could also talk a bit more as to how it flows from Lateralus (the song? the whole album? that was also unclear).

I'd like to hear it, especially in light of paraflux's "fluxterpation" where he agrees with Kabir that Vicarious picks up where Reflection stopped.

Inner_Eulogy
10-05-2007, 09:27 AM
I still think it's funny that he just now realized the song has a newscast playing in the background.

slamminsalmon
10-05-2007, 09:37 AM

i didnt really notice it either

thanks for being a dip shit

Inner_Eulogy
10-05-2007, 09:39 AM
i didnt really notice it either

thanks for being a dip shit

No problem cum bubble

wearethestories
10-05-2007, 11:39 AM
No problem cum bubble

omg.

And I too think it's somehow remarkable (given the threads here and the listening to it on my own so many times) that one wouldn't notice the television/newscast until 30 months after the song was released/leaked.

DON IOTAE
10-05-2007, 11:43 AM

some of us are slow learners. let the man express himself. herself.

whatever.

edit: the sig is quite ironic...

Inner_Eulogy
10-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Inner_Eulogy
No problem cum bubble

omg.

And I too think it's somehow remarkable (given the threads here and the listening to it on my own so many times) that one wouldn't notice the television/newscast until 30 months after the song was released/leaked.

Ya' like that... =-)

Cheesegreater
10-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Tool fans can be so arrogant.

"I was the first one to hear this lyric."

"Nuh-uh, I was."

or

"You didn't notice the newscast sample? You must be a terrible husband and neglectful father. What a miserable excuse for a human being you are. You must not pay attention to anything since you didn't hear the barely audible sample in this song."

I'm exaggerating of course, but personally I love to hear it when people notice the little things in Tool's work. I'm like "Good for you man, there's plenty more stuff to find like that. :)" Others just seem to be real pricks about it, which, in my entire life, I will never understand.

DON IOTAE
10-05-2007, 08:08 PM
^ TROOF

blindfold_off
10-05-2007, 09:19 PM
omg.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I don't listen to Tool every hour of the day. And I don't go online as much as most people on this board. Peace!

blindfold_off
10-05-2007, 09:20 PM

"Nuh-uh, I was."

or

"You didn't notice the newscast sample? You must be a terrible husband and neglectful father. What a miserable excuse for a human being you are. You must not pay attention to anything since you didn't hear the barely audible sample in this song."

I'm exaggerating of course, but personally I love to hear it when people notice the little things in Tool's work. I'm like "Good for you man, there's plenty more stuff to find like that. :)" Others just seem to be real pricks about it, which, in my entire life, I will never understand.

Word, son....

blindfold_off
10-05-2007, 09:23 PM
edit: the sig is quite ironic...

You like that?....

Tool_Is_Sick
10-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. Do I have to prove myself to you? Jerkstores.

if you would understand that "You fuckin dissappoint me" are Passive lyrics by APC you would realize that it was a joke. You started with Vicarious than Jambi so i wanted you to keep going but your just to dense to comprehend that...so i guess im a "jerkstores?" its all good but its also funny that only a few people in here understand any sort of joke...geeze...stop having a chip on your shoulders and relax.

DON IOTAE
10-06-2007, 05:39 AM
You like that?....

OGT!

Esurient4Truth
10-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Vicarious - Tragedy (obvious): perhaps in some way relating to mothers death
Jambi - (haven't figured it out yet)
Wings for Marie 1 - rationalizing death
10,00 Days - accepting death
The Pot - a past memory of mother talking to maynard
Lipan Conjuring - Maynard's acid trip
Lost Keys - Maynard waking up in hospital after acid trip?
Rosetta Stoned - Simply describes what his acid trip was like.
Intention - Mother was religious. Maynard's take on what he learned as a child.
Right in Two - Maynards beliefs (shaped by the song Intention)
Viginti Tres - (Mother's rise into the afterlife? haven't figured it out yet)

It's ironic that Vicarious is about, perhaps an obession with death, yet the rest of the album suddenly goes for gloom towards remembrance for the mother.

cade_nce
10-06-2007, 08:59 AM
if you would understand that "You fuckin dissappoint me" are Passive lyrics by APC you would realize that it was a joke. You started with Vicarious than Jambi so i wanted you to keep going but your just to dense to comprehend that...so i guess im a "jerkstores?" its all good but its also funny that only a few people in here understand any sort of joke...geeze...stop having a chip on your shoulders and relax.

Not everybody who is a Tool fan automatically knows the ins and outs of A Perfect Circle.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Not everybody who is a Tool fan automatically knows the ins and outs of A Perfect Circle.

well honestly...they should. But everyone is different as you stated. Esurient4Truth, thank you for giving me a little something about each song.

*turns on 3 libras by A Perfect Circle*

Cheesegreater
10-06-2007, 04:43 PM

I caught the APC joke. But that's the thing about inside jokes. If you don't know the story behind it all, people might think you're being a prick.

I thought it was funny though, I must admit.

blindfold_off
10-06-2007, 11:10 PM

My bad.....

blindfold_off
10-06-2007, 11:12 PM

That's true....

blindfold_off
10-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Good thread.

To Original Poster:
when you finally made Jambi a few listens hop over to Wings for Marie/10,000 Days; best song ever.
I bet you will like it.

:)

Don't get me wrong. This isn't the first time that I've heard 10,000 Days. I bought it the day it came out. But it had been a while that I have listened to the album. Wings pts. 1+2 kick ass!

Tool_Is_Sick
10-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Don't get me wrong. This isn't the first time that I've heard 10,000 Days. I bought it the day it came out. But it had been a while that I have listened to the album. Wings pts. 1+2 kick ass!

I love listening to Wings/10,000 days in the dark as i am falling asleep. Fuckin awesome.

blindfold_off
10-06-2007, 11:36 PM
I love listening to Wings/10,000 days in the dark as i am falling asleep. Fuckin awesome.

Hell yeah those two tracks have some cool funky rhythms going on that blow. My. Mind.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-06-2007, 11:42 PM
For me...its one of those songs were if i hear just 5 seconds of it...I have to finish it...its that powerful. My mom is actually a huge fan of the songs and she is 55. It reminds her of her father, which is sad, and it will have the same effect on me when she passes. So yeah its awesome to say the least.

darkpanda123
10-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree completely. I think that Vicarious and The Pot are my favorite Tool songs. Also, to you guys who get mad about someone figuring something out late, get off his back i didn't notice the TV thing either :p

wearethestories
10-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Jeez.

No one with the TV thing. Wow.

Also, is it just me, or has this thread devolved into simply what Inner_ has mentioned several times already? Is it just a glorification of "Vicarious" and making fun of those who haven't heard something I thought was fairly well-known, or are we talking seriously about the song?

But, for the record, this song does kick ass.

THAT much has been clear since April 2006 (*wink at Inner_*)

Inner_Eulogy
10-08-2007, 09:33 AM

"Nuh-uh, I was."

or

I've never denied that I can be a prick at times but, can you honestly say that you've never dealt with somebody that was a complete moron or a company that charged you for something they shouldn't have or just made obvious mistakes without getting upset. Well, that's me, the guy that says what's on my mind. And maybe it's just me but, if it took someone a year and a half to finally notice the obvious well then, I'm entitled to think that you're a fuckin' idiot and I'll call you out on it. Just like WeAre called me out on a mistake I made the other day and I took it with grace and agreed tha I was wrong. So many people these days just lack some common fuckin' sense and it aggravates thehell out of me...yes, I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it does and that's just tough.

Inner_Eulogy
10-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Vicarious - Tragedy (obvious): perhaps in some way relating to mothers death
Jambi - (haven't figured it out yet)
Wings for Marie 1 - rationalizing death
10,00 Days - accepting death
The Pot - a past memory of mother talking to maynard
Lipan Conjuring - Maynard's acid trip
Lost Keys - Maynard waking up in hospital after acid trip?
Rosetta Stoned - Simply describes what his acid trip was like.
Intention - Mother was religious. Maynard's take on what he learned as a child.
Right in Two - Maynards beliefs (shaped by the song Intention)
Viginti Tres - (Mother's rise into the afterlife? haven't figured it out yet)

It's ironic that Vicarious is about, perhaps an obession with death, yet the rest of the album suddenly goes for gloom towards remembrance for the mother.

Well, if you had checked your facts first, you'd know that Lipan/Lost Keys/Rosetta are NOT about Maynard or his own experience. I'll leave it at that, it'll give you something to do.

Inner_Eulogy
10-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I agree completely. I think that Vicarious and The Pot are my favorite Tool songs. Also, to you guys who get mad about someone figuring something out late, get off his back i didn't notice the TV thing either :p

Consider yourself BLASTED and BANNED!! j/k

Inner_Eulogy
10-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Jeez.

No one with the TV thing. Wow.

Also, is it just me, or has this thread devolved into simply what Inner_ has mentioned several times already? Is it just a glorification of "Vicarious" and making fun of those who haven't heard something I thought was fairly well-known, or are we talking seriously about the song?

But, for the record, this song does kick ass.

THAT much has been clear since April 2006 (*wink at Inner_*)

Well, please don't make it all about me. I'd prefer to hear somebody say something that means something....and yes, I'm a hypocrite. =-)

wearethestories
10-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, please don't make it all about me. I'd prefer to hear somebody say something that means something....and yes, I'm a hypocrite. =-)

I was more trying to make the point that you've since called the thread out (though not in so many words) for being one of those silly threads that says "YAY, I like this song and TOOL roXors ftw!!!1". I was wondering, as you are, what importance this thread has. Though getting my post count up is nice. :)

blindfold_off
10-08-2007, 09:12 PM
I was more trying to make the point that you've since called the thread out (though not in so many words) for being one of those silly threads that says "YAY, I like this song and TOOL roXors ftw!!!1". I was wondering, as you are, what importance this thread has. Though getting my post count up is nice. :)

I've been listening to Tool since the Undertow album came out. I went to see Tool at the Aragon in Chicago back in '96. I took a risk just to go see them and it rocked. Having acquired the Opiate ep and re-acquiring Aenima and Lateralus sparcked up my interest for their music having not listened to them for a couple years. And after giving Lateralus some time I ve moved on to re-listen to 10,000 Days since the last time which was 3 months after it came out. I posted my opinion and you all kept adding to the thread. It's all good.

blindfold_off
10-08-2007, 09:18 PM

Can't someone enjoy something without having to be all insightful and go into extreme detail on why they like it?

Tool_Is_Sick
10-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I've never denied that I can be a prick at times but, can you honestly say that you've never dealt with somebody that was a complete moron or a company that charged you for something they shouldn't have or just made obvious mistakes without getting upset. Well, that's me, the guy that says what's on my mind. And maybe it's just me but, if it took someone a year and a half to finally notice the obvious well then, I'm entitled to think that you're a fuckin' idiot and I'll call you out on it. Just like WeAre called me out on a mistake I made the other day and I took it with grace and agreed tha I was wrong. So many people these days just lack some common fuckin' sense and it aggravates thehell out of me...yes, I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it does and that's just tough.

The next fuckin president for the U.S. of A.

Inner_Eulogy
10-10-2007, 09:36 AM
The next fuckin president for the U.S. of A.

Damn straight

dmurf
10-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Damn straight
Wrong. He's got too much common sense and street cred.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Word.

Inner_Eulogy
10-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Wrong. He's got too much common sense and street cred.

LMAO

Lisa
10-25-2007, 06:25 AM
It is true that certain people can get overly hurt by something that was considered an offhand comment. But it is also true that if someone has made a mistake or "has noticed something late", saying it in a strong and demeening way can hurt anyone's feelings and anger them. There are ways to cope with someones' antagonism and there are ways to be a little nicer with saying your thoughts. We should not have to DEAL with your "I'll tell you how it is" attitude just like you wouldn't deal with someone elses.

Lisa
10-25-2007, 06:28 AM
hmmm well...

Lisa
10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
^ sorry about the "hmm well" lol mistake
just ignore it

Inner_Eulogy
10-25-2007, 09:16 AM
It is true that certain people can get overly hurt by something that was considered an offhand comment. But it is also true that if someone has made a mistake or "has noticed something late", saying it in a strong and demeening way can hurt anyone's feelings and anger them. There are ways to cope with someones' antagonism and there are ways to be a little nicer with saying your thoughts. We should not have to DEAL with your "I'll tell you how it is" attitude just like you wouldn't deal with someone elses.

Ohhh, looks like you got SERVED

wearethestories
10-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Ohhh, looks like you got SERVED

wtf?

blindfold_off
10-25-2007, 09:08 PM
How is this thread still going? It's cool though.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Wow that lisa girl is really pissed at someone...Im gonna stay out of her way, that is for damn sure.

*Hides in the corner with a pillow waiting for lisa to come close*

DON IOTAE
10-25-2007, 10:40 PM

Inner_Eulogy
10-26-2007, 02:20 PM
wtf?

Heh heh....<shrug>

Lisa
10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Wow that lisa girl is really pissed at someone...Im gonna stay out of her way, that is for damn sure.

*Hides in the corner with a pillow waiting for lisa to come close*

LOL no! i'm not mad at anyone:)
just saying my opinion^_^

Master_Of_Nothing
11-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Ah, finally I've found my crowd..... And yeah sure VIcarious rocks, no doubt about it, but is it the best song off the 10,000 Days album? Definitely radio friendly anyway heard it 3 times over a week when they released the album

Inner_Eulogy
11-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Ah, finally I've found my crowd..... And yeah sure VIcarious rocks, no doubt about it, but is it the best song off the 10,000 Days album? Definitely radio friendly anyway heard it 3 times over a week when they released the album

Master_Of_Nothing_To_Say ???

Shiver Me Timber
11-13-2007, 03:18 PM

this was a post a while ago but omg thats what i do every chance i get

Master_Of_Nothing
11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Master Of Nothing cos nothing ever truly belongs to me. Its my philosophy.

Sounds stupid? If it does then you're stupid :)

Anyway, i actually listen to Schism when i'm falling asleep, works like wonders.
Wings 1 & 2 probably would work too tho.

Inner_Eulogy
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
That was so cool Inner_Eulogy. You are really Obstreperous.

If you say so Groom Hilda

Inner_Eulogy
11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Master Of Nothing cos nothing ever truly belongs to me. Its my philosophy.

Sounds stupid? If it does then you're stupid :)

Anyway, i actually listen to Schism when i'm falling asleep, works like wonders.
Wings 1 & 2 probably would work too tho.

Actually, I said Master_Of_Nothing_To_Say

Master_Of_Nothing
11-14-2007, 08:18 PM
uhh this sounds like the perfect time to say...
"what's in a name? an idiot by any other name is still an idiot" lol
couldn't resist

See Inner Eulogy? I do have something to say ;)

Tool_Is_Sick
11-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I like animal crackers.

Master_Of_Nothing
11-15-2007, 12:07 PM
uhh yeah ok Tool_Is_Sick
just hang onto your sanity for a little longer please

Tool_Is_Sick
11-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Ohhh sweetheart..I lost my sanity a long time ago..I also like Dungaroos as well. Did you ever have dungaroos? Holy shit like WOW..They are awesome!!! Ha

Im just kidding. Take a DAMN joke! Trust me you find alot of people that joke around in these threads. Dont be so serious all I time. Lighten up.

Esurient4Truth
11-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, if you had checked your facts first, you'd know that Lipan/Lost Keys/Rosetta are NOT about Maynard or his own experience. I'll leave it at that, it'll give you something to do.

Crass any?

You got a little too "defensive" over a song, that doesn't have anything to do with your mother or me making a "yo momma joke."

...you can't be serious?

Music is about interpretation. Oh, Tool meant this, Maynard said that. Tool is unique because it allows perspective and insight from quite a few different angles.

It's how I found the album to fit in.

orangeisgoood
11-17-2007, 07:35 PM
I like animal crackers.

i think i just crapped myself...lol...holy crap.....you guys are too funny... (i have nothing meaningful to say.... eh, just like the music.)

Inner_Eulogy
11-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Crass any?

You got a little too "defensive" over a song, that doesn't have anything to do with your mother or me making a "yo momma joke."

...you can't be serious?

Music is about interpretation. Oh, Tool meant this, Maynard said that. Tool is unique because it allows perspective and insight from quite a few different angles.

It's how I found the album to fit in.

While I completely agree that there are many justifiable perspectives, there are others which are just obviously not. My statement was related to songs which have been specifically stated they were not about Maynard himself. Some songs "may" be about him but there are others which are obviously NOT. So, yes...I am serious. And if you would still like to believe that the world is fucking flat then be my guest...as the adage goes "you're still entitled tp your opinion".

orangeisgoood
11-18-2007, 01:36 PM
this kinda late...well really late...but what is O.G.T.?

Inner_Eulogy
11-19-2007, 10:19 AM
this kinda late...well really late...but what is O.G.T.?

Look it up, or try reading the FAQ on this site which was recommended that you did PRIOR to posting.

orangeisgoood
11-21-2007, 06:10 PM
ok. well im not OGT anyways.....
impossible for me anyways...