PDA

View Full Version : In the eyes of Pharisees and Scribes

IrisoftheShadow
08-14-2003, 03:20 PM
This is just on the top of my head. Well, it would be quite simple to think that Eulogy is basically about Jesus Christ. Yet, some people, who can never take things for surface value, believe that there is a deeper meaning. Well, frankly, none of us will ever know unless we are Maynard himself.

For me, I try not to overanalyze thing to a certain degree, despite the notion that 1000 Tool fans stress: "...overanalyzing separates the body from the mind..." Well, you can say that quote over and over, but seriously, sometimes things are just at face value. Freud once said, "Sometimes a tree....is just a tree."

Anyway, I actually believe that it is about Jesus; whether or not Maynard is using Christ simply as a metaphor, or a representation of someone else, it is undeniable that Maynard put obvious referenes to Jesus Christ. But the purpose is still questionable.

Do you guys ever think that Maynard wrote this song, but in the perspective of someone else. I don't think Maynard is really doubting his faith in Christ, perhaps he wrote the song in an athesists' points of view, especially the pagans and pharisees around 33 A.D, the time of Jesus' crucifixition

I'll put it this way, it is a known fact--assuming that Jesus did exist (and there is actual unbiased, historical evidence)--that he preached to hundreds of followers, promising a kingdom of Heaven, how to receive eternal life, and even claiming that he was the son of God! Do you know how much faith you must have in order to believe such unbelievable things. If such a person were to do that now, he would be labled as a lunatic and a cult leader! (disclaimer: i am not claiming that Jesus is a cult leader)

Nevertheless, he still had disciples, and people still listened to him. During this time where everyone practiced Judaism, for centuries the Jews were waiting for their Messiah to save them. In only a matter of years, people were beginning to believe that a simple carpenter, Jesus Christ, would be the one to save them

Now imagine that you put all your beliefs into this carpenter to redeem and salvage Jerusalem. And the next day, you see him in the hands of the Romans. Even worse, the man who claimed he was the son of God, the one who would save you...you see him die right in front of you.

Wouldn't you lose faith too??

"Get off your fuckin cross.
We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr."

-"He saved others; he cannot save himself...Let him come down from the cross now, and we will believe him." Matthew 27: 42-43

Basically, the lyrics describe someone's vengenance toward a false messiah. He believed him once, but lost faith.

paraflux
08-15-2003, 07:54 AM
I dont think Maynard is ever himself when with Tool. Like I have said before, I think he is channeling some pure energy to get the message through. And how do you use our limited language to explain true spirituality? You cant, except through metaphors. Even Jesus used his parables to explain his teachings.

And yes, we can know what Maynard means. If we are all one mind, everything we think affects everyone else. There is a level we can reach where we know exactly what he means, or at least what he is supposed to mean to us at that particular point in our lives. Everything changes, even truth and meanings.

IrisoftheShadow
08-15-2003, 10:48 AM
And yes, we can know what Maynard means. If we are all one mind, everything we think affects everyone else. There is a level we can reach where we know exactly what he means, or at least what he is supposed to mean to us at that particular point in our lives. Everything changes, even truth and meanings.

Would you mind explaining yourself?

paraflux
08-18-2003, 07:30 AM
1) There is a message in Tool's music, a deep one, perhaps the only one worth hearing. Other bands have similar messages, but I have not yet found one with the focus and intensity of Tool.
2) For a message to have meaning, it must be able to be grasped by the listeners, even if the meanings are layered and multi-dimensional. If we reach a higher plane in our lives, the new meanings should correspond.
3) If we are all one mind, then our thoughts as individuals on Earth affect everyone else. I cannot think something without affecting everyone and everything else. Quantum Mechanics states that we change the properties of something when we observe that thing, as if our brain waves direct the particles.