PDA

View Full Version : sound

clown137
08-13-2003, 11:23 PM
to me at the start when i had my speakers quiet it sounded like a rattlesnake, but when i cranked them ir remidend me of a motor becuz at the very end (its pretty quite) its starts to stall and putt ,maybe it means giving out but the undertow water theorys id say are better then myn

Undertolerance
08-17-2003, 09:59 PM
As best as I can tell from listening to Undertow so bloody much, is that the sound and the beginning of Intolerance is in fact a boat motor being started. The puttering at the end is to me a dead give away, that and it really would follow the whole water theme of the album.

b3rn3r
08-25-2003, 12:31 AM
that always sounded like what it would sound like if the mic were in a water bong when someone was takin a huge hit.

clown137
09-11-2003, 08:25 PM
ya i can see it now

"ok maynard are u ready?"
"no wait hold on a second..........WOOOOOOOOT ACK ACK, HOLY SHIT"

b3rn3r
09-11-2003, 09:04 PM
exactly!!!!

learist
09-13-2003, 03:15 PM
Posted by Undertolerance - 08-18-2003 at 12:59 AM
As best as I can tell from listening to Undertow so bloody much, is that the sound and the beginning of Intolerance is in fact a boat motor being started. The puttering at the end is to me a dead give away, that and it really would follow the whole water theme of the album.

I agree with you. The puttering and stalling of a boat motor brings to mind the hoplessness of being "dead" in the water.

b3rn3r
09-14-2003, 12:12 AM
ya but those of us who own a boat know that doesn;t sound like a boat at all....I mean you can have your own opinion but I don't agree with yours.

U4ia
09-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Honestly, I like to think of a bong hit. Cause just a few minutes ago I was smokin my own, then i popped in Undertow prepared to listen to the whole album.

But then again, there could be some subliminal messages in the album.
A toilet flushing, then on track 4, 'Shit adds up in the bottom'.

Midwinter
11-09-2003, 08:44 AM
People talking about this sound right at the beginning..What sound are you talking about? There is no "sound" - besides the drums, guitar and bass.

Cylith
11-12-2003, 09:21 AM
People talking about this sound right at the beginning..What sound are you talking about? There is no "sound" - besides the drums, guitar and bass.

Maybe the sound everyone is referring to is made from an instrument, but there is definitly a sound that doesn't sound like your standard drum set, guitar or bass. If you can't hear what everone else is talking about, then maybe you should turn up your volume. (It is a rather quite sound.)

Cylith
11-12-2003, 09:23 AM
On another thread under this same song, jeffn9 wrote:

"The sound at the beginning of Intolerance is the sound of someone in one of those old diving suits, you know the ones with the helmets that have the hose attached to them and it's hooked up to a pump to keep the air flwoing to the diver. The sound is someone in one of those suits unerwater and he's breathing and then all of a sudden the pump dies and the diver can't breathe, that's why it sputters at the end. It's, in essence, it's the diver drowning because he can't breathe. When I first heard this explanation and then listened to the song it really kinda freaked me out. Now that you've read this go listen to it and tell me it doesn't scare you!"

This would also fit the water theme of this album, if you say there is one.

imtheism
11-12-2003, 10:33 PM
sounds like a bong to me also, and I dont do drugs. Could be somethign else, never gave it that much thought. However, when you send teh weedz0r thru the water it becomes more potent, sounds amplify under water also. Maybe in some obscure way it still fits this water theory :)