PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a faith?

Indraevyn
08-13-2003, 02:06 PM
I am just brushing the surface of the original impressions I got from this song, but, to me, the main verse signifies an attempt to make a decision based on two possiblities, black and white, dark and light, good and evil. Red and yellow are two more possiblities, that come to be, and semingly appeal more to the narrator that the original two had probably because they didn't make a commitment to either side of the divine spectrum. "Lets me see" seems to signify to the narrator that he doesn't want to commit to either good or evil. The references to the "so much more that becons me to look through to these infinite possibilities" would probably be the church 'encouraging' him to look to the infinite possibilities that they present to him so he might join their collective. "As below so above and beyond i imagine" seems to be a refence to a trinity faiths, namely: wicca(below), christianity(above), and then the faiths that believe in divine extra-terrestrials. These deific concepts seem to be "drawn outside the line of reason" meaning he can't comprehend the concepts of these faiths. I'm not too sure about what is meant in this song by "puch the envelope, watch it bend" so if anyone has suggestion on this, the chorus, or the rest of the song, please express your view on it and post.

paraflux
08-14-2003, 08:26 AM
I dont want to burst any bubbles, so dont let me if you dont want to.
I dont think faith has much to do with it. Unless its about leaving faith behind. See, faith is defined in the Bible as "the hope of things unseen." What I think the whole album tries to do is show by example what is possible when you see those things. And once you have seen them, do you need to hope for them anymore? No. You have direct experiential knowledge of those things. Do you have to hope that the Sopranos come on Sunday at 8 pm when you can look at the cable guide and see? Or, do you hope for the seasons to change when you have lived through countless season changes?

Back to the song, it seems to be a climax of sorts, an opening from within to start your spiral moving again, the way it used to. In the speaker's infancy, things were cut and dried in black and white, like most hardcore christianity denominations preach. Then he got to see other colors, which let him see there was more to life than what was being told. In fact, he feels called to look ever deeper into the infinite possibilities that now exist for him. I listened to this song on mushrooms once, I felt amazing things. I felt lights clicking on in what I will call my chest cavity, although it was of majestic size. I felt the spiral start to move, ripping away the crap that had grown over it, while I had been neglecting it. Riding the spiral is necessary for human progression. Riding the spiral is perhaps the most natural thing I have ever felt.