PDA

View Full Version : Best Song

ProfoundHaytred
12-03-2002, 10:01 AM
Whats the best song on this album for you?/?
im gonna say for me it depends on my mood, it can go either reflection, lateralus, or the patient...and even on a good day schism

a_divine_martyr
12-03-2002, 11:54 AM
i'd say either lateralus or the dipsosition/reflection/triad combo.... all three pieces of music make me kind of... come out my body into a kind of feeling as you might see in the matrix. when neo touches the mirror and it absorbs him in stuff... i kinda feel like i'm bending the rules of gravity and matter. i dunno.... i'm a weird little boy. hehe

Penguin
12-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Hm.. I guess.. The Grudge.. this is the first song I really liked off it.. it's just really coooool

AsproClear
12-03-2002, 05:56 PM
I consider Disposition/Reflection/Triad to be Tool's greatest accomplishment to date. It's hard to imagine how they can possibly top it on the next album.

The Grudge is a close second.

Vincent
12-03-2002, 06:03 PM
1) Disposition/Reflection/Triad

Amazing piece of music. It grabs your attention with the beginning (a strange song, even considering this is Tool). Then it runs into Reflection, the main emotional part. This song makes me want to cry every time I hear it.....

Then comes Triad, the all-instrumental finale. More songs out there should be like Triad; it rules.

2) Lateralus

The song that made me love Tool. At first, they played a cut version of it on the radio (heh), and it was decent. But I asked my dad if I could borrow the CD from him.....this song amazed me. It still does. The vocals, the guitar parts, the middle part.......even the main riff alone is better than most things you hear on the radio.

3) The Grudge (tied with) Schism (tied with) The Patient

3 really good songs, I can't decide.

hateandvaseline
12-04-2002, 06:51 AM
Disposition/Reflection/Triad
Parabol
Faaip De Oiad
The Patient

It's always hard to choose just one.

ProfoundHaytred
12-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Faaip De Oiad, why??? not that im downing it..

soul_excursion
12-05-2002, 09:03 AM
my favorite song on the album? that's a hard one.. there are so many great moments... i love the 20 second scream in 'the grudge', I love the explosion when 'traid' kicks in... I love the anger of 'ticks and leeches' and the "spiral out..keep on going" message of 'lateralus' but for my favorite, I'd have to go with PARABOL / PARABOLA - i love the message of this song... I believe we are all spiritual beings having human experiences, not vice versa like most people think. I have proof of this: If you weigh a body the minute before and the minute after death, it weighs the same. That means that whatever part of us is ‘us’ cannot be measured in human parameters and proves the existence of a spirit or soul or whatever you want to call it and an afterlife, or otherlife. St. Paul even said in the bible “we are not of this earth”... as the song says: we are choosing to be here to experience this gift of life whether we are living it or dreaming it or remembering it, we should embrace it and not worry about pain and fear because that is all an illusion. I was raised catholic, but I believe that all religion and spirituality is basically good on an individual level to teach meditation, prayer and a code of morals and ethics, but organized religion is evil. I do not think that whatever power gave you the gift of being human and experiencing life would punish you for being human and not being perfect, or for calling the power that created you God or Zeus or Jesus or Budda or Jehovah, etc. and you shoudl not punish others for believing in something you do not. What God would give permission to anyone to destroy another in his name? If there is a judgment, what you did with the talents you were given and how you treated others, and how much love you gave and recieved is how your spirit will be measured. Listen for those little voices, and be inspired (in spirit). My favorite line in the piece is “this body holding me reminds me of my own mortality embrace this moment remember we are eternal all this pain is an illusion” this speaks to me as: I am a spirit and the body that I occupy is only temporary, it’s pain and sorrow reminds me that it will die, but I will go on forever. This body was given to me as a holy gift and I should make the most of it and not waste it complaining of pain and worrying about death. I also love the way parabol ends and parabola kicks in so loud and full whenever I play it in my car it gives me goose bumps and scares the hell out of everyone around me. I also love the Zepellinesque guitar riff at the end of the song.

mike tyson
12-06-2002, 12:28 PM
1. D/R/T
2. Ticks & Leeches
3. Lateralus

couldn't pick just one, too difficult for me

Flood
12-06-2002, 03:54 PM
Definately it's gotta be Reflection. Then Lateralus and Grudge, Patient, Eon Blue Apocalypse.

J1516
12-06-2002, 05:55 PM
I'm going with
1) Lateralus
2) The Patient
3) The Grudge
I'm not picking D>R>T because, first of all it's three songs, and second it's incredibly obvious. Hey look at me I'm picking the best part of the album I'm an idiot, oh no wait you guys are.
And Captain I'm Referencing A Crappy NIN Song, justify your Faaip de Oiad.

Faaip_de_Oiad
12-08-2002, 07:09 PM
1. The Patient
- This song still brings tears to my eyes after so many plays
2. The Grudge
- Fantastic drumwork by Danny at the end
3. Ticks and Leeches
- I really like the interlude

Windowlicker
12-09-2002, 02:53 AM
1) D/R/T
2) Lateralus
3) Parabol/a
4) The Grudge
5) The Patient
6) Ticks And Leeches
7) Eon blue Apocalypse
8) Mantra
9) Faaip De Oiad

I get the feeling that im not very original

betwixt
12-09-2002, 08:45 AM
d/r/t.

triad. because of the ?violin? at 5:35. very ecstatic

verisimilitude
12-09-2002, 07:47 PM
whoa, didn't he say best SONG? you people are going crazy with your lists.

my personal favorite is reflection. good vibes, man.

Euphorian82
12-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Well, I'm kinda having a problem here having to choose between Reflection and Parabol(a), but most of the time I'll go with Parabol(a), because Reflection is more repetitive (which is actually a good thing when you're in the right mood).

I think the beauty of Parabol(a) lies in the contrast between the slow, moody buildup of Parabol, and then kicking into Parabola with this incredibly intense riff and Maynard's extremely powerful lyrics (not to mention the frickin' awesome video to go along with the song :-)). Those lyrics actually made the song for me, because I find Maynard's message in this song just indescribable. I don't know where he got the inspiration for those lyrics, but it must've been something powerful, man. Unbelievable.

Reflection's lyrics are right up there with the best Tool's ever done as well, tho.

orgasmatron
12-22-2002, 12:06 AM
1- Ticks & Leeches

When Maynard screams at the end of the song "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED?!!! IS THIS WHAT YOU HAD IN MIND?!!!!"
You can't get as powerful as that.

2- Reflection

This song is just perfect. It just flows through your body so smoothly. I get a wonderful feeling everytime I listen to it.

3- Schism

My grand-mother loves this song so I guess it deserves to figure in EVERY TOP 3.

orgasmtron

46&2
12-22-2002, 07:53 AM
My favorite song right now, probably purely for the novelty of it, is Ticks & Leeches. The fact that the man blew out his vocal chords screaming like that just makes it a completely unreal experience.

Also, the quiet interlude is always really unsettling to me... a quiet, peaceful guitar with Maynard raving like a madman in the background is kind of creepy.

Ghetto Boy
12-24-2002, 11:05 PM
The Grudge... OMG, yes. I never really liked the song to begin with... I appreciated the build-up, but it was my first Tool song, so the 1-minute intro and the long breaks between verses and that same drum riff over and over again just became kinda tedious to me. But every time I listen to that song, even now after 5-6 months, I always find something new in it. My interpretation of the song stays the same, but the things I see and the emotions I feel always evolve.

OpiAtE_666
12-27-2002, 05:27 PM
1. D/R/T. Especially Reflection
2. Lateralus

Words do not describe the last half hour of this album.

unumveritas
12-28-2002, 03:47 AM
hard to narrow all this good work down to one piece.

The new album reaches heights and depths that still have not been fully appreciated. I bought this record the first day it came out, and I still have not fully grasped it completely.

I like the grudge because I use it as the backdrop for a ritualistic catharsis of sorts. (picture me dancing violently)
The impact of that song only grows with each listen.

I have a soft spot for 46 & 2. The song that made me fall in love with Tool. I had never heard a song that so perfectly expressed my need, my deepest yearning, for growth/evolution.

On any given day, I feel that any given Tool song could be the best song they ever made. It boggles my mind that Tool is capable of improving upon their sound after Lateralus. Then again, if you listen to Aenima closely, you will marvel at Tool's accomplishment, and wonder how they could have possibly improved upon the sound in that record.