PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody didgeridoo?

<8>jF<8>
09-08-2007, 10:25 AM
There is a sound in this song that I've noticed before, but I hadn't the experience in my life to be able to place it anywhere that made any sense...
And then, the day before yesterday, I was listening to Parabol on the way to work, and it all just 'clicked'.

I'm pretty sure that that lulling, vibrato rhythm/melody that starts exactly at 1:48 seconds into the song is the product of an instrument of a didgeridoo, an instrument in which I know is prominently part of Aboriginal, indigenous Australians', culture... They use the instruments, if I understand it correctly, to induced altered states of consciousness that bring them closer to what they consider to be the true reality, what they call dream time. So, as the didgeridoo is a primitive wind instrument, which correlates perfectly with what was being spoken of about the link between the song Parabol and meditation, as playing the didgeridoo for any length of time requires a breathing process called "circular breathing". This type of breathing is breathing both in and out at the same time so one can take a breath while still playing a note on the instrument.

My curiosity here, is how the didgeridoo, specifically, is relating to the themes of meditation here, what notes or types of sounds, as they're expressed as animal sounds, are being utilized here, and what does the rhythm of the sounds express?

Does anybody out there know anything about how all of this may relate? I'm going to do some more research and hopefully be able to answer my own question, but I was hoping somebody out there might be able to offer some sort of insight on the subject...

Ghostwriter
09-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Very clever connection. This song makes me think about the circulation of oxygen through our bodies or just breathing, the didgeridoo instrument would be perfect for "honing" this image.

Ghostwriter
09-08-2007, 07:27 PM
I just listened to that section of the song and the noise that starts at 1:48 does sound very familiar to the didgeridoo...

Eulogy33
09-08-2007, 08:02 PM
yea...pretty sure it IS that instrument.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-08-2007, 09:03 PM
To me it always sounded like someone sorta moaning? but your far more intelligent when it comes to instruments then myself so i guess your correct.

<8>jF<8>
09-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Thank you everybody for the kind remarks... :)
One thing I've been doing is just relaxing to this whole album, breathing where it feels naturally to me to breathe to... I just use the music as a breathing guide...

dirtyepic
09-08-2007, 11:08 PM
i doubt it's a didgeridoo, it's more likely to be some kind of synth maynard uses, but yeah nice pickup it sounds like it fo sho'

Tool_Is_Sick
09-17-2007, 01:12 PM
i doubt it's a didgeridoo, it's more likely to be some kind of synth maynard uses, but yeah nice pickup it sounds like it fo sho'

What? you doubt its a didgeridoo but you then say yeah nice pickup it sounds like it fo sho'. First of all what is fo sho? lol Second, Explain your statement here, you just contradicted yourself.

Hodge
09-17-2007, 01:22 PM
you can emulate a lot of sounds

slamminsalmon
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
it may be a synth sound of a didigeridoo.

ive definitely heard it in live shows with no didge player anywhere.

i play one, and its great

MORNING_GLORY
10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I'd love to learn the didgeridoo... and it does sound strikingly close to one in this song. We could assume, for the sake of argument, that it is one, in which case, you could draw more conclusions from this song.

Liam
10-07-2007, 06:32 PM
its definately not didge.
its vocals laden with effects.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Agreed..I have always thought it was some sort of moan..I dont know anything about the didgeridoo so im probally wrong as ususal.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
10-23-2007, 07:53 PM
What if it's God? The Great Spirit working through an open hearted angel? If that is the case, it could be a divine didgeridoo in Maynard's throat. Thoughts?

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-06-2007, 03:04 PM
nobody willing to touch that one

Shax
11-06-2007, 03:30 PM
*howls*

lotus.
11-06-2007, 03:32 PM
*howls*

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-06-2007, 06:13 PM
doz be my doggz

Travis
11-07-2007, 08:08 AM
its definately not didge.
its vocals laden with effects.

It's a voice but there's no effects, I can make that sound myself. It's not a didgeridoo.

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-07-2007, 11:01 AM
see?

Cloudshaper
11-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I though it was common knowledge that DC sings the didgeridoo parts through some kind of tube.

Edit: Yeah, wikipedia is also backing me up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabol

Wolfman's Imaginary Band
11-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I though it was common knowledge that DC sings the didgeridoo parts through some kind of tube.

Edit: Yeah, wikipedia is also backing me up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabol

wiki's got some ideas new to me, thankya

Tape_Dispenser
01-19-2008, 10:39 PM
didgeridon't

DamnageD
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I play the Didge...even have outside shows when i cant get tix...and that sound, even as close as it is to a decent drone, is not from a Didge.

FWIW, I love to didge to these guys...secret fantasy would be able to do a song with them, and Parabol/Parabola would be the one to do it to, IMO.