PDA

View Full Version : And All That Could Have Been

ProfoundHaytred
12-03-2002, 09:49 AM
When i bought salival, i thought it was a live dvd, and boy was i upset, i dont mind but the cd could have been so much better if a little bit of effort was put into it. It should have been a double album, i mean they could have put 46&2, stranglehold, sweat, jerk-off, Ænema, opiate, undertow, bottom. now i know im being picky but it was rampid with fillers like LAMC(e) and Harry Manback2 cmon now, where is the effort???

walking_iris
12-04-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by ProfoundHaytred
When i bought salival, i thought it was a live dvd, and boy was i upset, i dont mind but the cd could have been so much better if a little bit of effort was put into it. It should have been a double album, i mean they could have put 46&2, stranglehold, sweat, jerk-off, Ænema, opiate, undertow, bottom. now i know im being picky but it was rampid with fillers like LAMC(e) and Harry Manback2 cmon now, where is the effort???

in a way i agree with you. tool has been a favourite band of mine for a very long time, though i tend to go through phases of listening to them either constantly or not much at all....and i was in full-on obsession mode with salival came out so i had expectations THIS HIGH for the thing. i was aware that the video was not live; indeed, i was very glad that the band released their videos, as they rarely get any television airplay (and besides, who the hell wants to sit around suffering through hours of carson daly and road rules and p diddy videos on mtv in hopes of catching one measly tool clip?). as for the tracklist, i have always been curious as to why on earth LAMC exists (maybe THAT's why. heh.), but that's a minor quibble. i am glad to finally see the live version of pushit released; it's a completely different song than the aenima version. that, the vids, and the beautiful cover of no quarter pretty much make the whole thing worthwhile for me. *shrug* god damn but tool should cover more zepplin.

ProfoundHaytred
12-04-2002, 09:49 AM
yeah man i was full-on to tool at the time also, like i listend to nothing but tool for 15 hours a day.

furtherdownNIN
12-04-2002, 09:04 PM
i think i heard somewhere that tool was kinda forced into releasing salival by their old record company. I think it was released in the middle of that whole legal battle. I actually don't think that much effort was put into it, if you remember the song list wasn't even in order when it was first released. In the copy i bought they switched merkaba and and you lied. Although i think i read they misspelled a song on lateralus, which they definity put alot of effort into. Even with its "problems" i actually love salival. You lied, third eye, and merkaba are insane. I was also deep into tool when salival came out so it means alot to me. Just thought i'd share.

dawn.
12-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by ProfoundHaytred
yeah man i was full-on to tool at the time also, like i listend to nothing but tool for 15 hours a day.

i still catch myself doing that...or what's worse...i'll put the same cd on replay for 2 days straight if not more, and just function around it...

ry.
12-05-2002, 05:50 PM
i really like Salival a lot but, i would have liked to see some of the "odd" live stuff,things they dont play much like "stranglehold" and "spasm".
or even hooker with a penis.

anhour
12-06-2002, 09:57 PM
i really think this was a great cd and (as someone said on another string),
rather underrated. the cover of "No Quarter" was amazing, the new version
of "Pushit" made the song one of my favorites, the live version of "Third Eye"
was great [insert more things about how great each song was, i know you
can do it.]. but without rambling endlessly, it was a good cd. it wasn't their
best, but it was rrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally fucking great.

maybe you just set your expectations way too high. just quit having expectations.
it makes everything better.

if anything else should have gone on here -- the lounge version of "hooker..."

EndEyeQuote
12-11-2002, 09:11 AM
the cd was more of a bonus than anything - the point of this box set for the most part was to release the videos in a home viewableb format.

and come on the songs on salival are amaing - ignore the filler and you still have something as long as opiate that they never had to release

Dhalz
12-13-2002, 03:54 AM
I think that the box set is good if a little pricy as i hadnt seen the videos due to not having mtv. i also enjoyed the cd it came as a suprise. i have been told of tool covering comfortably numb by pink floyd. This would have made the set for me and i hope it is released soon.
If you ask me seeing the videos really Improves the song if that is possible. Having not seen tool live i should hope a live dvd is released at some point.

elevated
12-22-2002, 02:25 PM
i think some of you are over looking the great things that salival has to offer.like the artwork for instance, the booklet that comes with it just gives you hints to look deeper into their videos.ive spent hours watching those films and i have to admit its truly amazing.try watching them frame by frame (if you have the dvd version) and just see what the creators throw at you. it has really opened me up to tool on a whole new level.i'm not gonna even go into musical aspect because i would be here all day.

eek
12-23-2002, 05:49 AM
When I first heard about Salival it was mentioned by someone as a "live DVD" which I of course thought meant a DVD of the live performances rather than a CD of live recordings and a DVD of their video clips. Not that I was disapointed with the package, just the DVD - I was kinda hping it might be for Tool what Viewphoria was for The Smashing Pumpkins.

So anyway, the box presentation is nice, the booklet is ... nice, but as a designer and Tool fan I keep thinking of what more could have been done with it (though some of the photography IS nice). So the CD goes down as one of my most-listened to, but as a box the only thing I have to compare it to is the Pumpkins' Aeroplane Flies High box that included a bunch of B-sides, 8 unreleased tracks and a lovely little book with specially written prose by the band members.

I lvoe Salival, but those of you with a big dark room, DVD, decent screen and a powerful 5.1 setup, tell me you wouldn't kill for a well made DVD of your favourite band performing at their best?

I think I'd be logging some serious hours just watching Danny play frame by frame ;)

elevated
12-23-2002, 12:09 PM
well eek in the near future (hopfull spring) your longing days will be over and you will be able to watch danny countless hours.but what i was trying to explain was that there are so many images in the videos and in the booklet.its pretty damn cool.no one really seems to talk about it.in the booklet look at the picture of maynard with him singing into the microphone and tell me what you see.it might explain the hidden track.