PDA

View Full Version : OGT and the song (Rollins)

Rik
08-10-2003, 03:33 AM
Does anyone know the meaning of OGT? I've talked with several (Dutch) friends about it and we can't find the meaning of these letters. I thought that it might be just American, but I met a girl from the States this summer, who was a big Tool fan and she didn't know what the meaning of OGT was.

Can anyone tell me?

I've read some opinions but I think Henry Rollins has nothing to do with this song. I think the song is all about the double feelings of making a cd an sell this cd. Maynard has some ideas about not selling out, but with making a record and selling this record, you are selling your soul.
The song seems a sort of discussion which Maynard is having with himself. At the and of the song, when he is telling this 'boy' everything of the business and the whole world of media, the music stops and Maynard tells himself to shut op and screems out the other part of making music, which is the selling and making money.

radmanics
12-29-2003, 01:07 PM
I thought OGT was the name for TOOL fans... dunno for sure though :?

Essential
01-12-2004, 03:11 PM
http://toolshed.down.net/opinion/forum/showthread.php?t=3715

<--- Points to Link

anna
01-12-2004, 03:13 PM
read the faq

gulroth
01-14-2004, 11:11 AM
... I actually thought that I heard the story of how this song came about before (or maybe I dreamed it.. who really knows anymore).

Some time shortly after Undertow was released, TooL received a lot of fan letters... as well as anti-fan letters. One of these letters involved some kid who started calling TooL a bunch of sell-outs because of Undertow and how the album moved a bit further away from straight-up metal and into the "mainstream" realm (with Sober).

This was their response to him.
Obviously, they would have had to use "artistic license" to visualize the person who sent them this letter, but I don't think that's the important part. I think the most important part is that EVERYONE can be considered a sell-out if you look hard enough.
"I sold my soul to make a record dipshit and you bought one."
When a band wants to make it big, they do whatever it takes in order to make/sell cd's to their target audience. It's just a fact of life.

TooL are sell-outs. Maybe they don't sell out to the mainstream audience... but they're sellouts, and this is their way of admitting it. It's not that tough to figure out.

radmanics
01-15-2004, 03:40 PM
They're calling you a sell out for buying their record as well, and in-turn are selling "your soul". I think that line is more metaphorically however. More along the lines of putting everything you have into producing their record. It's also probably a joke to the people who think they're devil worshipers.

Somekindatemporarysanity
06-08-2006, 07:39 PM
OGT = Original Gangster Tool

peter14
06-19-2006, 12:37 PM
every american dudes i speak with were unable to find the meaning of "ogt"...
because when i translate the lyrics in frensh for more clarity i only found darkness!
so.. original ganster tool... i like it!
it really fits to me but truth is only known by mjk and i'm quiet sure there will never be lights upon it....