PDA

View Full Version : Release in Sodomy

Fifth
12-03-2002, 08:47 AM
This isn't a long post just wanted to know if anyone else hears the line "Release in Sodomy" as "Release inside of me" and if anyone has got any idea to what this may mean, away from ideas of Maynard being raped by his Dad?

Fifth

iS!
12-06-2002, 02:53 PM
I do think it sounds like "release inside of me," but then I think that the one Five for Fighting song sounds like "looking for special things in sodomy, in sodomy, in sodomy."

Mark D
12-09-2002, 07:25 PM
before i looked at the lyrics i thought it was release inside of me. after i looked at the lyrics, it made more sense though.
i mean prison sex/sodomy, kind of beginning to sense huh?

withered_EYE
12-11-2002, 08:49 PM
I feel that this song cannot be interpreted very literally. Some suggest it is about a traumatic event in Maynard's life. In my opinion that is rubbish, and Maynard wouldn't reveal something like that so readily. Perhaps I am wrong. There is a strong suggestion that the song is about prison sex in the line "shit, blood, and cum on my hands." I think it is called that because no one would engage in such acts unless the were extremely desperet. The song is one of desperation. To follow up on the "release in Sodomy" vs "Release in side of me" I will say that finding temporary sanity in shit blood and cum is very much like saying a realease in sodomy (the lyrics on this site go sodomy). Sodomy involves a little of those three substances...

axe3939
12-18-2002, 02:00 PM
prison sex is very metaphorical! this is shown in the line "release in sodomy". this prison refered to in the title is in the persona. and by butt raping little boys (which metaphorically means harming people as he in the first place was harmed, "do unto others what has been done to me") he is released. It is about the cyclical nature of abuse, not neccesarily sexual, but just the way we treat others. We harbour fear and resentment of acts done upon us, or perseived acts done upon us, and use that to shape the way we treat others.

when i first heard the song i thought it said "relief in sodomy"!

Tark
12-19-2002, 06:50 PM
I thought it was "release inside of me" that first time i heard it too, then I saw the lyrics here, and, not knowing what sodomy was, I looked it up, and I think they both make sense, but sodomy makes a little more sense to me, when I think of rape, I do not think of any human attributes, all the humanity of the rapist is gone, at least while they are raping the victim

Incredulity
01-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by withered_EYE
I feel that this song cannot be interpreted very literally. Some suggest it is about a traumatic event in Maynard's life. In my opinion that is rubbish, and Maynard wouldn't reveal something like that so readily. Perhaps I am wrong. There is a strong suggestion that the song is about prison sex in the line "shit, blood, and cum on my hands." I think it is called that because no one would engage in such acts unless the were extremely desperet. The song is one of desperation. To follow up on the "release in Sodomy" vs "Release in side of me" I will say that finding temporary sanity in shit blood and cum is very much like saying a realease in sodomy (the lyrics on this site go sodomy). Sodomy involves a little of those three substances...

thankyou!!! i've played this song to my friends and everyone keeps thinking that tool is the gayest band they have ever heard and that i'm sick and shit; nobody thinks its a goddam metaphor. anyhow, well put...

DXRocker73
01-14-2003, 10:21 AM
I was recently reading an article in the newspaper about sexual abuse on children, and this song started playing like someone pushed "play" in my head.

Thinkong about the song and the whole concept of molestation, it scared the living fuck out of me, i don't even want to think about it.

The song, regardless of how you interpret it, is quite disturbing, and gives you chills to listen too.

I think just in a nutshell, the song is about child abuse, thopugh I don't think Maynard had the experience, just thinking about how horrible something can be can give you inspiration.

Convoy_X
02-03-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by DXRocker73
...I think just in a nutshell, the song is about child abuse, thopugh I don't think Maynard had the experience, just thinking about how horrible something can be can give you inspiration.

I agree with that 100% alot of metaphor is used in Tool songs and imho alot of good songs, but nobody knows what a metaphor is now-a-days so they are lost on the whole metaphor thing it so sad.....

Spoon
02-10-2003, 07:38 PM
If we ignore the lyrics on this site just for entertainment purposes...

Take the first section - the narrator is the victim, "Release inside of me" would make more sense.

In the second section - the narrator is the perpetrator, "Release in sodomy" makes more sense.

I have some bootlegs where I am pretty damn sure he says "inside of me" at least live a few times.

It makes sense thought, someone being abused would not be released by that abuse, rather someone is releasing inside of them. When the person is performing the sodomy, he finds release in it, the second time 'round.

My 0.02