PDA

View Full Version : Aenima in relation to life and transcendence....

holy reality
08-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Okay.... I just had a thought....

Think of Aenima as a ladder in life.

Everyone starts at the bottom, stinkfist.

Constantly seeking pleasure.... never satisfied...... always wanting more....

some climb up the ladder a step... and want to be saved

eulogy
they try to find religion, or just someone or something to save them.... "i wish you could be the one to save me from my own existance"

if you make it far enough... you realize this man/thing/concept is full of shit.... come down get off your fucking cross..... he can't fix you, nor save you, you have to save yourself.......

you climb up another step

H.....

self realization..... you need to be true to yourself and not influenced by anyone/thing but you..... as you have just come to realize by doing whatever this man/ideal told you to do in eulogy, thinking it would help, you need to stop feeding the snake so to speak..... you probably encountered many snakes while in steps 1 and 2

step up

46 and 2 you realize change is ahead... you have a shadow... being that you SEE what is wrong with you... but you have to change it... change is painful.... crawling on my belly...... you have to do what it takes to step through though

step up

hooker with a penis.... you have to break free of personal belongings and realize that they will never lead to happiness.... this is often times harder for people to let go of than loved ones, and religion... because money burns a deep attachment into just about every soul to grace this earth.... it is the root of everything that got you into your mess in the first place....

step up

jimmy.... reconnecting to a time when you were innocent... you're coming home to where we all once were before the world corrupted us....."where the hell have I been?" you've begun to tear everything you know to pieces and heal.... more self realization....

step up, but fall

pushit..... you've fallen.... you've become reconnected to something you love, but that is dragging you down, putting you somewhere you want to be, slipping back into the gap again.... and you never want to see it again....PUSH IT AWAY!!! surely almost everyone will fall multiple times when trying to climb this ladder... the world has a firm grip on your feet.. but you have to PUSH IT AWAY, whatever it is that has gotten hold of you again

step up

aenema... the ending of it all..... everything you hate about your life (fretting, gangsters, distractions.... etc...) is being cleansed...... you've made it free....

step up

third eye..... so good to see you once again..... you've reconnected, you've made the final step into oneness with your spirtuality

i realize analyses like this have been done before... but this just all of a sudden came to me when reading the new H thread by looque or someone like that... thank you very much for posting your interpretation man.......

i also believe lateralus holds a similar message as far as it relating to life.... and things you need to overcome to transcend..... aenima could only be (if you make it this far) a brief taste of unity... you might fall back again, but into different habits (anger.... the grudge) etc..... but that is another analysis.... and there is no use in me sitting down and forcing myself to figure these things out... they have to come to me, like this did

OpiAtE_666
08-18-2003, 12:15 PM
wow... i usually think most of the interpretations on this forum are pure bullshit.... but that makes a LOT of sense. I'm going to have to agree with you, perhaps this is what the band actually had in mind when they wrote the lyrics and decided the track order. You've changed my perception of this album.

Martin
08-19-2003, 01:36 PM
hmmm... Yeah, this is quite food, it makes sense to me. I never thought of it that way.

Seeing it this way, Pushit could fit in anywhere, and be between multiple stages. Hence the word describing it as repetitive.

"Saw that gap again today"
"I'm slipping back into the gap again"

b3rn3r
08-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Very well thought out...I like it. It makes total sense. I wouldn't doubt it if this is what Tool had in mind when they wrote the album. I wish I could be more insightful like that.

Tantobourne
08-20-2003, 12:10 PM
well frick, I was going to post something similar...but since you've so aptly summarized it I'll just stfu.

sinikal
09-05-2003, 02:39 AM
This reminds me of the interpretations of NIN's tds album. Seems like NIN focuses on the downfall and spiraling inward, while Tool is encouring to leave that in the past and spiral outward. No wonder I always listen to NIN then pop in a Tool cd, they just go so well together.

Windir
09-05-2003, 03:04 AM
[...]

But how do you explain all the other songs you didn't mentioned?

- Useful Idiot
- Message to Harry Manback
- Intermission
- Die Eier Von Satan (?)
- Cesaro Summability
- (-) ions

Especially the one with the Question Mark behind it.

Windir
09-05-2003, 07:46 AM
just my thoughts...I like holy reality's better though. I've always felt that way of it but never really thought about it.

Holy never gave his opinion on my question.
But I think you have a nice interpretation of the songs, filling the story from Holy.