PDA

View Full Version : Maynard's Mics

adamaynardanny
08-09-2003, 04:36 PM
I was just wondering how much anyone knows about what mics and/or other gadgets Maynard uses in studio and on stage. I was watching the Led Zeppelin DVD recently and I saw Robert Plant using two mics taped together, and this just got me thinking back to seeing Tool live and hearing them play Eulogy. This is an educated guess, but the weird sound during the intro is done by Maynard, is it not? Not the sound Adam does with picking behind the bridge, but the distorted, pitchy notes. What kind of gadget does he use to make that sound? Anyone got any idea?

Paladin
08-10-2003, 06:40 AM
i think its just a megaphone and his amazing voice.

holy reality
08-10-2003, 09:23 AM
sounds a bit like he has some sort of synth like effect on him

Marius
08-10-2003, 05:34 PM
In the videos I have, he holds a megaphone-type thing in front of his mic, when doing "Eulogy" live.

•Hąrbinger•
08-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Mics:

With Tool
- Audix OM-6

With A Perfect Circle
- Beta 57A
- Beta 87 on a radio system (large venues)

adamaynardanny
08-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Mics:

With Tool
- Audix OM-6

With A Perfect Circle
- Beta 57A
- Beta 87 on a radio system (large venues)
cool, thank you, i don't remeber seeing it in any gear faq's. do you have a link?

conical johnson
08-23-2003, 11:46 AM
http://toolshed.down.net/articles/index.php?action=view-article&id=March_2002--Mix_Magazine.html

m4yn4rd
08-25-2003, 06:42 PM
In the videos I have, he holds a megaphone-type thing in front of his mic, when doing "Eulogy" live.

i havent seen that and i have a bootleg version i just watched, he cups his hands over the mics when doing the into part and the rest of the song hes normal

RidetheRhythm
10-06-2006, 01:05 PM
For the live shows does anyone know what type of synth or effects box does he have onstage standing next to him??

etc43
10-07-2006, 05:36 AM
I'm pretty sure what he does is hum notes through the megaphone into the mic...you know how it goes "UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH."? I'm pretty sure he's really going, "Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh..." in the same pitch. My guess is that he does this and then quickly turns the megaphone on and off, so that he gets 2 short bursts of the notes he's humming, and they come out distorted by the megaphone. That's just a guess though, because in the studio recording of "Eulogy" I swear I can hear him humming in the background...albeit very very quietly.

jace wilson
10-07-2006, 10:34 PM
i love tool because of what their music means and how complex it is, i think its so awsome that tool can make music with a story behind every song. not just some b.s. that comes out of the top of theirs heads. i hope tool can rock on with another album that everyone can enjoy and rock out to.

Exarch
10-13-2006, 07:29 AM
I love Tools really deep lyrics aswell, you can spnd ages just contemplating them

resonance.
10-13-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm pretty sure what he does is hum notes through the megaphone into the mic...you know how it goes "UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH. UH-UH."? I'm pretty sure he's really going, "Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh... Uhhhh..." in the same pitch. My guess is that he does this and then quickly turns the megaphone on and off, so that he gets 2 short bursts of the notes he's humming, and they come out distorted by the megaphone. That's just a guess though, because in the studio recording of "Eulogy" I swear I can hear him humming in the background...albeit very very quietly.

Yeah this is correct. You can actually hear it on the album and on live recordings.