PDA

View Full Version : eulogy is about bill hicks

mrskeenan
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
well, if you know anything about tool, then i'm sure you're aware of maynards friend and comedian, bill hicks, who passed away from cancer. well, hear me out. "standing above the crowd he had a voice that was strong and loud ", "he sure could yell" and the best clue... "ranting and pointing his finger"... of course if you listen to the song with this in mind or read the lyrics i think it's quite obvious. "ranting"-bill hicks had an album called "rant in e minor" . aenima is dedicated to the "late and great bill hicks." of course i do think it could possibly have more than one meaning, but i'm pretty positive about this one.

blair's man sausage
08-22-2007, 12:43 PM
you're definitely on to something, i wonder why no one has brought this up before.

good work super sleuth!

SpiraMirabilis
08-22-2007, 01:07 PM
what's mrkeenan like in bed?

SpeiranVaun
08-22-2007, 01:19 PM
wow, how many times have you listened to this song? 2, 3 times?

If this song was about Bill, then Maynard must have really hated him.

I really, really doubt that this song is about ol' Hicksy.

mrskeenan
08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
hey incase you don't know maynard is very complex, and somewhat of a smartass, so this could be an example of one or the other...or both. i really think you should reread what i said...the part about it could have more than one meaning. i'm simply just pointing an obvious one out because i realize there are idiots like you that will never figure it out on their own. usually i'm pretty chill unless provoked, but you found it necessary to make your comment about how many times i've listened to this song, so let me inform your simple little mind, eulogy is actually my favorite song, and i've probably listened to it more than your small, weak, little mind can comprehend. tisk tisk and you call yourself a tool fan. you're really going to feel dumb when you realize it is about bill hicks

Foamy
08-23-2007, 08:20 AM
This is a nice song. Bill Hicks was a nice man.

Hodge
08-23-2007, 08:21 AM
of course i do think it could possibly have more than one meaning, but i'm pretty positive about this one.

heheheh

phishman1
08-23-2007, 08:28 AM
wowzers...

pork chops
08-23-2007, 08:37 AM
i thought this song was about devo.

skeeter
08-23-2007, 10:24 AM
I read somewhere else that this song is about Bill Hicks and that Maynard was upset and possibly angry over Bill's death. And the line "you've claimed all this time that you would die for me..." makes me think that since Bill joked about smoking and died from it, he proclaimed his death and yet got upset (and maybe a little surprised) when he got cancer (when he may have been able to prevent it by quitting smoking). Though we can interpret any songs how we want, I interpret this one to be about Hicks and it makes it more interesting to me. There's just so many lines to this song that can relate to Hicks.

Interestingly enough I am listening to the BBC thing on Bill Hicks and they said something about how at shows he'd be drunk and say "You would die for me".

Inner_Eulogy
08-23-2007, 10:28 AM
you're definitely on to something, i wonder why no one has brought this up before.

good work super sleuth!

Not sure where you've been but, this has been brought up countless times for many years now.

paraflux
08-23-2007, 10:28 AM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=72410
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=59529
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=12846

paraflux
08-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Not sure where you've been but, this has been brought up countless times for many years now.

he's being facetious.

mrskeenan
08-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I read somewhere else that this song is about Bill Hicks and that Maynard was upset and possibly angry over Bill's death. And the line "you've claimed all this time that you would die for me..." makes me think that since Bill joked about smoking and died from it, he proclaimed his death and yet got upset (and maybe a little surprised) when he got cancer (when he may have been able to prevent it by quitting smoking). Though we can interpret any songs how we want, I interpret this one to be about Hicks and it makes it more interesting to me. There's just so many lines to this song that can relate to Hicks.

Interestingly enough I am listening to the BBC thing on Bill Hicks and they said something about how at shows he'd be drunk and say "You would die for me".

that's pretty interesting hick's was said to say " you would die for me", i never heard that, but it just makes even more since now. i'll have to look into that

skeeter
08-23-2007, 11:18 AM
that's pretty interesting hick's was said to say " you would die for me", i never heard that, but it just makes even more since now. i'll have to look into that

Here's the broadcast > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/ . Not sure how far into it he says it but its when the commentators are talking about his alcoholism.

Inner_Eulogy
08-23-2007, 11:33 AM
he's being facetious.

How overtly noble of you... ;-) Thanks Para'

mrskeenan
08-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Here's the broadcast > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/ . Not sure how far into it he says it but its when the commentators are talking about his alcoholism.

thanks

bogsnarth
08-23-2007, 08:59 PM

hicks died of pancreatic cancer, which is pretty much entirely unrelated to smoking.

also, lol @ this topic.

mrskeenan
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
wow...it amazes me how vicious people can be just because i wanted to state an opinion. ok, i see now that people before me have had this idea... never did i claim to be some pioneer or something... i just wanted to say something... being that we're all tool fans in here i would expect a tool fan to be openminded. i think everyone has a right to believe a song is about one thing while one believes another. it actually is fascinating to me to see the way other people interpret tools songs, whether i believe it's right or wrong doesn't make it a fact. until maynard decides to publish a book giving us all instructions we are left to our own interpretations. i've said before i'm really chill unless provoked...if you scroll up you'll see a prime example... so everyone needs to calm down. of course istill love the feedback, i'm not bothered by it...i'm saying this not only because of the feedback i recieve, but it's everywhere in here. damn...silly monkeys give them thumbs and they even use them on the keyboard to beat their brother down

skeeter
08-24-2007, 08:30 AM
hicks died of pancreatic cancer, which is pretty much entirely unrelated to smoking.

also, lol @ this topic.

Thanks, good to know. I wasn't sure if smoking could be the cause of pancreatic cancer or not and didn't feel like researching, and now I don't have to.

weathermantom
08-24-2007, 09:32 AM
wow...it amazes me how vicious people can be just because i wanted to state an opinion. ok, i see now that people before me have had this idea... never did i claim to be some pioneer or something... i just wanted to say something... being that we're all tool fans in here i would expect a tool fan to be openminded. i think everyone has a right to believe a song is about one thing while one believes another. it actually is fascinating to me to see the way other people interpret tools songs, whether i believe it's right or wrong doesn't make it a fact. until maynard decides to publish a book giving us all instructions we are left to our own interpretations. i've said before i'm really chill unless provoked...if you scroll up you'll see a prime example... so everyone needs to calm down. of course istill love the feedback, i'm not bothered by it...i'm saying this not only because of the feedback i recieve, but it's everywhere in here. damn...silly monkeys give them thumbs and they even use them on the keyboard to beat their brother down

You can type on a keyboard without using your thumbs.

mrskeenan
08-24-2007, 01:07 PM
See, the thing is that this is open-minded:

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?p=2120094#post2120094

(Not that your interpretation is wrong.)

oh no...no...i see that, i don't want to be misunderstood. i know that this is openminded and negatives come along with the positives, i'm talking about smartass comments intended for reasons uncalled for. like i said before, it's not only about this topic i've just came across some really mean things in here, but look i don't want to make this to big of a deal because it's not, again i know the bad comes with the good, i just don't like when words are thrown around to hurt peoples feelings, that's all.

mrskeenan
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM

damn...i knew someone was going to say that, i thought about it when i said it, but it just seemed like the right thing to say at the time, it was kinda clever, even though yeah you are right you can type without your thumbs, but thumbs do make it easier. i'm sure if really needed you could make a club without your thumbs as well or perhaps even forge a blade....

HollyMarie
08-24-2007, 01:55 PM

also, lol @ this topic.

THats what i was going to bring up. How does that play into the lyrics at all?

mrskeenan
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
what's mrkeenan like in bed?

haha!! he rocks my socks off!!

Inner_Eulogy
08-27-2007, 10:04 AM

LOL

sbencis
09-26-2007, 04:28 AM
well, if you know anything about tool, then i'm sure you're aware of maynards friend and comedian, bill hicks, who passed away from cancer. well, hear me out. "standing above the crowd he had a voice that was strong and loud ", "he sure could yell" and the best clue... "ranting and pointing his finger"... of course if you listen to the song with this in mind or read the lyrics i think it's quite obvious. "ranting"-bill hicks had an album called "rant in e minor" . aenima is dedicated to the "late and great bill hicks." of course i do think it could possibly have more than one meaning, but i'm pretty positive about this one.

I would have to disagree. To me, this song is about L. Ron Hubbard. Keenan hated scientology but most of all L. Ron Hubbard. Listen to the song again, read the lyrics. That said, the beauty of Tool is each song means something different to different people.

paraflux
09-26-2007, 05:45 AM
Why are people so damn convinced its about ONE person? I'll never get it.

sbencis
09-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Why are people so damn convinced its about ONE person? I'll never get it.

Actually, a better question is, why are some people so set on NEEDING to know what Maynards interpretation is? Again, the beauty of Tool is the ability to conform each song to each person. Giving it a different meaning every time. If Tool came out and said "this is what the song is about", then it's over. No imagination needed.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Actually, a better question is, why are some people so set on NEEDING to know what Maynards interpretation is? Again, the beauty of Tool is the ability to conform each song to each person. Giving it a different meaning every time. If Tool came out and said "this is what the song is about", then it's over. No imagination needed.

I love your second post man, very true.

Inner_Eulogy
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Inquiring minds want to know...lol Anyone can still take from each song what they like but, I would like to know what the lyrics original intentions were. Just to know what he was thinking and where his track of thought was.

revolve
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Holy shit, I always imagined the obvious route. When I was young i assumed it was about Jesus and how "...that guys a punk". As I got older and discovered more about TOOL I was presented with more possibilities: like L. Ron Hubbard. I personally don't think its about Bill Hicks though. Maybe Maynard just used some of the shit Hicks said because it fit and made sence in what maynard was (or wasn't) tring to convey. It's seems to be the general idea around TOOL lyrics that there are layered meanings. Its going to have different meanings to different people. It sucks when people resort to name calling and shit, everyone has different ideas and they're only apparently smart or stupid: always according to ones own perceptions. On an unrelated note, this site kicks ass and Ive heard so many interesting ideas on every subject, I'm glad it found me.

paraflux
09-28-2007, 05:19 AM

I dont even agree with this. Keenan has talked before songs, asking people questions, getting them in a certain mindframe for the context of the song, but even those epilogues are multi-layered.

ringo_shells
09-29-2007, 02:35 AM
you're really going to feel dumb when you realize it is about bill hicks

hahaha, you're going to feel really dumb when you realise it isnt.

dont worry though, for a little while i considered it possible too.

0ctopod
09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I can see it being in part about all the folks mentioned. A pinch of Jesus, a dash of Hicks, and a cup full of L. Ron. I would also toss in a tablespoon of Hitler, a slice of Judith and about a half-gallon of anyone with a Christ-complex.

In light of the fact, however, that the speaker named not a single person within the song, it's ridiculous that anyone would feel absolutely positive about any specific interpretation.

talibad
09-30-2007, 01:02 AM
i think it has to do with people speaking instead of acting in one aspect at least

meshuggahj
10-16-2007, 09:03 PM
i believe this song is about recognizing manipulative people and becoming aware of their influence on everyone, including you.

Inner_Eulogy
10-17-2007, 04:49 PM
I can see it being in part about all the folks mentioned. A pinch of Jesus, a dash of Hicks, and a cup full of L. Ron. I would also toss in a tablespoon of Hitler, a slice of Judith and about a half-gallon of anyone with a Christ-complex.

In light of the fact, however, that the speaker named not a single person within the song, it's ridiculous that anyone would feel absolutely positive about any specific interpretation.

I agree with this one as well as disagree. I've never really thought it meant to be about any particular person. I think it's biased more and an archetype than an individual.

Inner_Eulogy
10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
i believe this song is about recognizing manipulative people and becoming aware of their influence on everyone, including you.

And you sir, have said this 3 times and once in each post.......lame and ridiculous

Tool_Is_Sick
10-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Welcome to The Opinion Page.

setvak
10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
If people here are still considering the Bill Hicks connection... I keep wondering how "He had a lot to say/He had a lot of nothing to say" would relate to him. Then again, give most Tool lyrics time and they could mean a variety of things, if only for a moment.

meshuggahj
10-23-2007, 07:56 PM
And you sir, have said this 3 times and once in each post.......lame and ridiculous

Damn.

Still hasn't clicked? What is your interpretation of the song?

From, Sir.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
MeshuggahJ, You already lost.

meshuggahj
10-23-2007, 09:02 PM
MeshuggahJ, You already lost.

Lost what? Is this a war?

I would like the forum members to give me a useful response to my interpretation. "Lame and ridiculous" is the only feedback I've received.

But that's fine, because a reason why my interpretation should be labeled as such was not provided.

This is a forum, not a battlefield. If I've lost anything it was the hope of you bringing any significant insights and responses into the discussions of this forum.

Jambi_the_Genie
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, i believe that this is about 3 people

1.Bill Hicks
2.Kurt Cobain
3.Jesus Christ (this suit is hot)

Dont flame me too hard, i burn easily =D

Tool_Is_Sick
10-25-2007, 03:40 PM
This is a forum, not a battlefield. If I've lost anything it was the hope of you bringing any significant insights and responses into the discussions of this forum.

Calm down sweetheart. Your lucky the flyers are on or I would tell you how it is.

P.S. please dont get mad over that comment as well my dear.

meshuggahj
10-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Calm down sweetheart. Your lucky the flyers are on or I would tell you how it is.

P.S. please dont get mad over that comment as well my dear.

Thanks for another useless response.

Eulogy is not about a specific person. Please quit saying this song is about Bill Hicks.

Inner_Eulogy
10-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Damn.

Still hasn't clicked? What is your interpretation of the song?

From, Sir.

If you bothered to read back only a few posts I already said what my interpretation was. I think it's simply about false martyrs period. An archetype personality. Jesus possibly, L. Ron Hubbard possibly, David Koresh, Jeffrey Dahmner....etc It's about somebody saying take my hand and I will guide you, just enough to bring you down...for my own personal gain. He had so much to say, but in reality he wasn't saying anything. Someone you foolishly look up to and put on a pedastal....someone who feeds on the nieve. Also about someone willing to die for a pointless cause. I think Maynard has an atrocity for someone to perhaps blindly follow a faith simply because of a book without proof. Think of the suicide muslim bombers. It's like, there you go, you blew yourself up and now your dead over your belief that you're now a martyr and gave your ife for a good cause. Ok, who's the next fool to step up and get nailed to the cross. Simple enough.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for another useless response.

Eulogy is not about a specific person. Please quit saying this song is about Bill Hicks.

You should pick up Maynards new album coming out Oct. 30th...the title of the Album fits you rather well.

meshuggahj
10-26-2007, 08:44 PM
If you bothered to read back only a few posts I already said what my interpretation was. I think it's simply about false martyrs period. An archetype personality. Jesus possibly, L. Ron Hubbard possibly, David Koresh, Jeffrey Dahmner....etc It's about somebody saying take my hand and I will guide you, just enough to bring you down...for my own personal gain. He had so much to say, but in reality he wasn't saying anything. Someone you foolishly look up to and put on a pedastal....someone who feeds on the nieve. Also about someone willing to die for a pointless cause. I think Maynard has an atrocity for someone to perhaps blindly follow a faith simply because of a book without proof. Think of the suicide muslim bombers. It's like, there you go, you blew yourself up and now your dead over your belief that you're now a martyr and gave your ife for a good cause. Ok, who's the next fool to step up and get nailed to the cross. Simple enough.

My interpretation shares similarities with yours.

Tool_Is_Sick
10-26-2007, 08:57 PM
My interpretation shares similarities with yours.

How IRONIC! EXPAND ON INNER'S INTERPRETATION!

*another lame post by Tool_is_Sick*

miketh74
11-09-2007, 11:30 PM

<<< Hammer hits head of nail. >>>

Inner_Eulogy
11-11-2007, 09:51 AM
<<< Hammer hits head of nail. >>>

It usually does... =-)

Master_Of_Nothing
11-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I think thats about right, but does it have to be matryrs? can't it just be anyone who you look up to, that was using you?

Tucker_Futtbucker
11-30-2007, 07:28 AM
I've always said it's about a self-proclaimed false idol. I doubt it's about martyrs in general. It's most likely about those who pretend to be martyrs. It's all been said here in this thread.

Of course, all of us are probably wrong. It's probably about the dog turd that Maynard found under his couch while he was vaccuuming the floor, but we'll never know.

miketh74
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I've always said it's about a self-proclaimed false idol. I doubt it's about martyrs in general. It's most likely about those who pretend to be martyrs. It's all been said here in this thread.

Of course, all of us are probably wrong. It's probably about the dog turd that Maynard found under his couch while he was vaccuuming the floor, but we'll never know.

Ya......that terd was special to him. <sigh>

chaotic_confusion
12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
i pretty much skimmed this topic, so excuse me, if this part is redundant. there are a few bill hicks references throughout the entirety of Ænima, and i agree that one or two are in this song. however, since it's been stated that it's about no one in particular, i assume it to be about a few people, and about a few things, maybe, in a metaphorical sense, about a part of maynard himself, or even just something that had passed.

and just to add to the much treasured sense of humor brought to us by bill hicks during his lifetime, he liked to joke a lot about being kept alive by sharper image products after smoking for so long, i always got a kick out of that.

nice topic in general.