PDA

View Full Version : Our consciousness.

Petroze
08-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Sober is about the frailty of human consciousness!

I think the first verse is alluding to how life will hold you accountable for your actions, reacting upon every mistake and weakness you have or make and playing on it.

To use an analogy to explain the chorus, imagine a colony of ants and then picture mankind being as disciplined, though without the authority figure. Why can’t we keep just one state of mind? Someone bring us into order.

The second verse is the true voice of mainstream Christianity, saying what’s achievable if you follow the directed paths blindly, but that what’s inevitable will happen anyway.

'I want it, when i want it'. Pleading to be in control

That's basically my interpretation, i don't want to go on a rant. I was going to write that the second verse is about all mainstream religions, but i don't know enough about the rest. Plus i think the problem sits more with how it is taught more so than what it teaches, which is why i suggested it's about the mainstream, not Christianity fundamentally.
There's an episode of The Soprano's where Tony tackles being in complete control of his consciousness, hoping to funnel his rage. I think he was posing the same question that Tool are in Sober!

Bhikkhu
08-08-2007, 03:28 AM
To use an analogy to explain the chorus, imagine a colony of ants and then picture mankind being as disciplined, though without the authority figure. Why can’t we keep just one state of mind? Someone bring us into order.

I just want to inform you that ants are very diffent than humans. First of all you should understand that their brain is very different from ours. Because of this they don't have much "learning abilities". Their behaviour is more or less pre-programmed like a computer program and instinctual.
On the other hand, I cannot imagine how it's like to be an ant. That's something a lot of people do not take into consideration. Even though we'll never know how it's like to be an animal, we transcribe human properties to animals. I would not know how an ant thinks or if it has any form of consciousness. The only thing you can do is compare its brain and its behaviour with that of other animals and humans, but we might never know what it's like to think like an ant.

Maybe I should have said something positive about your post too, but I've already read so many posts and threads about Sober and have read similar interpretations. I just felt the urge to post something that has to do with my study.:)

ivasativa
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I just want to inform you that ants are very diffent than humans. First of all you should understand that their brain is very different from ours. Because of this they don't have much "learning abilities". Their behaviour is more or less pre-programmed like a computer program and instinctual.
On the other hand, I cannot imagine how it's like to be an ant. That's something a lot of people do not take into consideration. Even though we'll never know how it's like to be an animal, we transcribe human properties to animals. I would not know how an ant thinks or if it has any form of consciousness. The only thing you can do is compare its brain and its behaviour with that of other animals and humans, but we might never know what it's like to think like an ant.

Maybe I should have said something positive about your post too, but I've already read so many posts and threads about Sober and have read similar interpretations. I just felt the urge to post something that has to do with my study.:)

Hmmmm, interesting approach, cool study I suppose, but... There are languages (I know one of them) in which the word consciousness is made of 2 words: Everyhting and Is.
From own experience, consciousness is not something we can analyze with our mind tool. It is a state of being and more, its actually a state of being that transcends ALL others, that including all forms of existence not just life and not just on Earth but in the whole cosmos.
Consciousness is what makes all one. Being an ant is just another of the endless forms of consciousness. And since this is what we are made of , at some level, eventually we may be able to actuallu experience what it is like to be an ant.
What do you think?