PDA

View Full Version : Isolated

Warrior Alien
08-05-2007, 03:32 PM
"Schism" was the first Tool song I ever heard, the first to see the music video to (at the same time, even), and along with "Sober" the most well-known Tool song out there. Still, after giving Lateralus more than a few listens as a whole, it sticks out, in the sense that it doesn't entirely fit with the rest of the album. A few people have said "Ticks & Leeches" is the most out of place on the record, but I still think it fits the Lateralus sound a bit more evenly than "Schism" does. After all, on what is - in my mind - a mostly therapeutic, transcendant album, this song sounds cut off and decidely twisted.

Of course, all this probably fits into Tool's plan, now that I think of it. The first two lines state "I know the pieces fit, 'cause I watched them fall away." The word "schism" in and of itself means breaking away. This idea works not only within the song but in the context of the whole album. The song tries, if only for six minutes, to break away from the whole picture. Maybe it does, judging by the silence that follows. Yet there is something fulfilling in hearing the first few measures of "Parabola" start up.

Esurient4Truth
08-06-2007, 06:32 PM
To me, schism fits. For me, Triad stands out, but hey, that's just me.

Schism is about the stresses in a relationship.

For people who think Ticks and Leeches doesn't fit, go into iTunes (or whatever player you use), make a playlist with Disposition followed by Ticks and Leeches. The drum sequence falls in place in my opinion (by sheer coincidence).

Every song sticks out in it's own respect.

miketh74
08-09-2007, 04:08 PM
To me, schism fits. For me, Triad stands out, but hey, that's just me.

Schism is about the stresses in a relationship.

For people who think Ticks and Leeches doesn't fit, go into iTunes (or whatever player you use), make a playlist with Disposition followed by Ticks and Leeches. The drum sequence falls in place in my opinion (by sheer coincidence).

Every song sticks out in it's own respect.

Definitely....I've often said that it seems Maynard was trying to point out certain situations where we alienate people for whatever reason. Some will argue that there's some other deeper, more subconscious meaning, but I think Schism is pretty straight forward.