PDA

View Full Version : Odd musings about "H.," among others.

Warrior Alien
08-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Funny how when I first listened to Ænima, I really wasn't all that enthused by "H." Honestly, it seemed quite plain the first four or so times I heard it. Now, it's a must-hear every time I put the album in my stereo.

Ænima - "H." and "Intermission"+"jimmy" in particular - seem to musically define the winter of December 2005/January 2006 for me, as this is the time I first received and listened to it. More than of a few of my late night walks in the falling snow were accompanied by the the entirety of this record blasting through the headphones of my MP3 player. Listening to the two aforementioned tracks actually brings about good memories of a night I hung out with my friends, played Mortal Kombat: Deception and took a humour-filled stroll at around 11 at night, snow coming down like no other.

It was during the Christmas of 2005 that I also received Batman: Arkham Asylum from my dad. Not only is it one of my favourite graphic novels/comic books of all time, but it ranks high up there in my favourite books. "H." and "Intermission"+"jimmy" (and, to a good extent, "Third Eye") seem to musically correlate to this piece of art for me. The former seems to describe Batman's inner conflict, whereas the latter's tone going from playful and mischevious to intense and haunting reminds me of Morrison/McKean's terrifying, psychopathic interpretation of the Joker. In an interesting coincidence, both Ænima and Arkham Asylum deal in great part with Jungian psychology and constructs.

"H.," as best as I can figure out, is a song of conflict, mostly of an inner kind. Looking at the mirror through oneself, wondering if what we see is our better or something that really isn't good for us. The "snake" Maynard mentions in the lyrics reminds me of the Jungian idea of the Shadow - an idea I've always loved).

This song also climaxes with what I feel is one of the best instrumental breakdowns ever. Adam may not be the most technically amazing guitarist ever (in the vein that my brother worships Satriani and Vai), but he truly dominates in that brief instrumental.

Just a couple thoughts.

himog
08-21-2007, 08:39 AM
H.

Has anyone ever read the book Ceremonial Magic & the Power of Evocation by Joseph C. Lisiewski? His website is : 8thmatrixpress.com. In his book (Chapter 3 or 4) he covers 8 Axioms required by the operator to achieve full physical manifestation of the spirit envolved. In this case the operator works from the grimoire The Heptameron (H) which evokes the 7 aerial spirits of the days of the week. If you read this Chapter on the 8 Axioms then you will here Maynard's lyrics come to life in his dicussion on the process and results from said evocation to physical manifestation of the spirit. I recommend this book and his others to anyone interested in the study of the Art and Science. I'm interested to here from others who have read this book or has an idea to what I'm referring to here. Maynard?