PDA

View Full Version : Album vs. Live

Warrior Alien
08-05-2007, 01:41 PM
You know, ever since I received Ænima during the Christmas of 2005, I never really liked "Stinkfist" that much. Well, that's a bit too unfair. It's by no means a bad song, and I think the chords, lyrics and overall tone fit well. I really like the sampled opening, too. But it never really clicked with me as certain other songs on this album ("H.," "Forty-Six &2 2," "jimmy," "Pushit," "Third Eye") did. Really don't know why.

When I saw it live on July 9th, however, I found it to be wonderful. Be it the energy, the extended instrumental, the slightly altered lyrical melody or Maynard's scream, this one really appealed to me. Hmmm.

Just thought I'd mention this.

hushypushy
08-05-2007, 02:20 PM
They've really massaged it throughout the years. The early live versions are different than the CD, but different than now as well. Every tour they play Stinkfist (even Undertow..!) and every tour it evolves and continues to kick ass (imo)

Warrior Alien
08-05-2007, 02:56 PM
My favourite change to the live song is how they play the sample during the silence right before the last chorus.

wix3l
08-06-2007, 10:27 AM
The extended version of Stinkfist is just beautiful.

Arkham Asylum
08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
The extended version of Stinkfist is just beautiful.

The '06/'07 version literally makes me want to dance. Additionally, it doesn't just MAKE me wanna dance, but I actually begin to dance because the rhythm during extended part is so fucking groovy it practically forces you to start moving to the music.

hushypushy
08-06-2007, 12:01 PM
My favourite change to the live song is how they play the sample during the silence right before the last chorus.

I love how it just stops, there's the little drum thing, and then it goes right into "I'll keep digging", it makes that section about 100x heavier imo.

There was one show in 97 or 98 (I'm not at home to check) where Danny plays the sample pad (wasn't the mandalas back then, what was it?) as soon as the extended part starts, he plays it underneath Adam and Justin's riffs. It doesn't sound very good (bad mix of rhythm) but it's still interesting.

nocatharsis
08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I love how it just stops, there's the little drum thing, and then it goes right into "I'll keep digging", it makes that section about 100x heavier imo.

There was one show in 97 or 98 (I'm not at home to check) where Danny plays the sample pad (wasn't the mandalas back then, what was it?) as soon as the extended part starts, he plays it underneath Adam and Justin's riffs. It doesn't sound very good (bad mix of rhythm) but it's still interesting.

I'm not sure about the 97/98 version because I've only had a chance to see Tool for the 10000 Days tour, but holy shit! The first time I saw them was last september at the Tweeter Center in Camden NJ and they opened with Stinkfist. When it got to the "how could this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all?" part I along with many others screamed "ILL KEEP DIGGING!" then stopped, puzzled, everyone staring at eachother shrugging their shoulders, and when it finally happened it was so much cooler! Saw them in AC but missed Jambi and Stinkfist/ got there in time for 46 &2, but when i saw them in Reading they played it, and i just stood and nodded as everyone else screamed "ILL KEEP DIGGING!" waiting... man, what an awesome take on an awesome song.

Resolution
08-08-2007, 09:17 AM
live>orgasm

maybe?

Maz46&2
08-08-2007, 05:41 PM
They've really massaged it throughout the years. The early live versions are different than the CD, but different than now as well. Every tour they play Stinkfist (even Undertow..!) and every tour it evolves and continues to kick ass (imo)

True. Back in November '94 they first played it and Maynard screamed the lyrics through a megaphone, it was really harsh and more aggressive than it's played now. The extended middle section has been around since '96 and it's evolved to what it is today. I think before Danny had the Mandala pads he used the Sonor's to do that sample.

HelenA
08-20-2007, 11:46 PM
They opened with this in Sydney when we saw them - we were SO excited! It was a brilliant opener for the concert - sexy as hell. I will never forget hearing Danny's kit for the first time.

eapatty01
08-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Demo version > all

(t)hick
08-29-2007, 05:50 AM
"Caught in a trap, I can't walk out, because I love you too much babyyyyy..."

Live DVD: Stinkfist extended, Schism extended, Pushit Live......come on!!!

RocktheVisualArts
08-29-2007, 08:57 PM
I love the extended version of Stinkfist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APsywC8TAXU

Tool_Is_Sick
09-07-2007, 04:37 PM
"Caught in a trap, I can't walk out, because I love you too much babyyyyy..."

Live DVD: Stinkfist extended, Schism extended, Pushit Live......come on!!!

Yes, I would absolutely cream my pants. I have my fingers crossed.

Pavlov_Dog
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I liked the one with the Suspicious Minds mix.

miketh74
09-14-2007, 09:43 PM
This tune rocks......simple. Great way to open Aenima IMO.

Ghostwriter
09-15-2007, 05:27 AM
Maynard puts alot of energy into this song when they play it live, creating a great performance. At my first Tool concert he was doing the "squid swimming" with his hand during the first 10 seconds of Stinkfist. This song was a great opener but I believe that Jambi has topped it...

miketh74
09-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Maynard puts alot of energy into this song when they play it live, creating a great performance. At my first Tool concert he was doing the "squid swimming" with his hand during the first 10 seconds of Stinkfist. This song was a great opener but I believe that Jambi has topped it...

The way the drums come thundering in....I'd have to agree.

MrGorgun
09-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Album version better imo,live gets too long and extended parts tend to get a bit boring.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-16-2007, 01:54 PM
extended verison boring?????? Wow i guess you just dont appreciate music and the beauty of it.

wix3l
09-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Album version better imo,live gets too long and extended parts tend to get a bit boring.

lmao!

dmurf
09-16-2007, 05:28 PM
I certainly hope that was posted as a joke, too.

I like the screams!!

miketh74
09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Boring.......no.

Trippy.......maybe.

Awesome....umm, hell ya.

:)

TomcatSwrs
09-19-2007, 08:30 AM
I have to say the album version is better but it did have the most powerful intro/song they played all night. Maynard dances around and starts thrashing like nobody's business. Danny's intro was def a face melter. Best Tool song ever.

Tool_Is_Sick
09-26-2007, 08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIUMa5RGcoI&mode=related&search

Love this video, extended. I love maynards scream at 3:15...he still has his punch if you ask me. Awesome song.

MrGorgun....This is for you. Listen to it. 100 times a day for the rest of your life. and if you dont like it...well then there is no saving you. Peace

SushiMaan44
10-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Speaking of Stinkfist live, does anyone who has been blessed enough to watch Adam play up-close have any idea how he's making those high-pitch squeals during the solo? Pick-scraping, using a slide towards the bridge of the guitar, etc? I'm a guitarist, and I've always been curious on how's he's making those sounds.