PDA

View Full Version : OGT

tali
07-28-2007, 12:40 AM
What does OGT mean, anyway?

weesper
07-28-2007, 04:30 PM
back in the day it was sugessted to mean original gangsta tool by many, cant remember off hand why though

Dassarri
08-02-2007, 05:32 AM
The thought was that those who were "original gangsta"s wanted to distinguish themselves from the new "poser" types when it became cool to be "gangsta". So in the song, the boy with 501s was trying to separate himself from the new Tool "gangsta"s by having new tattoos made that identified him as "OGT".

Ghostwriter
08-02-2007, 06:15 AM
OGT = Original Gangster Tool

The thought was that those who were "original gangsta"s wanted to distinguish themselves from the new "poser" types when it became cool to be "gangsta". So in the song, the boy with 501s was trying to separate himself from the new Tool "gangsta"s by having new tattoos made that identified him as "OGT".

-I couldn't have put it better myself...

rrobb911
08-22-2007, 04:56 AM
OGT is, well, Original Gangster Tool as said above, but it is someone who was a real tool fan from Undertow or even Opiate.

Chris_Brightwell
08-22-2007, 05:18 AM
What does OGT mean, anyway?

http://toolshed.down.net/faq/faq.html

Angel on the Sideline
08-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Here's what the FAQ says: (my own interpretation later, which differs slightly)

G43. Early in "Hooker with a Penis", he says something about "OGT" -- what's that?
Some folks are aware that OG commonly means "original gangster". In the context of this song, OGT may well mean "Original gangster Tool"; that is, "Original Tool Fan" since '92 -- the first EP.

I've always taken OGT to stand for "old guard Tool." The lyrics go:

"... claimed he was OGT, back in '92, from the first EP ..."

To me, the kid drinking the Coke and wearing the Vans and 501s was probably either a real person or an amalgamation of several people who critized TOOL for the progression/evolution of their music. The dude was a fan since Opiate was released and felt like TOOL was selling out by advancing their sound past Opiate/Undertow. I think all bands go through this. Look at what happened to Metallica (deserved, I must say on this one) after they followed the Black album with the shit they released.

I believe this song to be one of the more straight-forward of all TOOL songs: Fuck you, you don't know me, I already had to sell out when I signed with a record label and you bought the polished product so suck off. You've probably made compromises yourself.