PDA

View Full Version : about maynards son.

cornelius
08-05-2003, 07:13 PM
I think this song has a strong corrilation with maynard and his father. Remember, this is what I think, so negetive feedback is unecessary, only constructive critisism.

First off, I think this song is amazing because of the MUSIC, rather than the WORDS/LYRICS. I mean i love the message, but the real essence to tools beauty is there music. anyway, back to the meaning.

When maynard says things like " I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me."

Infant as Maynard, and his dad " choking" him or doing some kind of physical harmfull act.

"What is this but my reflection?"

Maynard is probibly saying that he is just like his dad, maybe in some way, or looking at his dad in apspect to himself.

"But you're Pushing and shoving me. You still love me and you pushit on me."

This could be about maynards past, maybe his dad pushed somthign onto him he didn't agree with. But thinking why does he do this if he loves me?

"Put me somewhere I don't wanna be. Seeing someplace I don't wanna see. Never wanna see that place again."

Maybe somthing to the extent of, somthing happening to Maynard in a certain place, somthing that he didn't want happening. Who knows, maybe a room his father punished him in.

"Saw that gap again today. As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,And you, as well."

As Maynards getting older, the gap is getting bigger between him and his father, this line could resemble his dad asking for love back. He managed to push himself away, and his dad should too.

"There's no love in fear."

This is Maynards way of saying he feared his father, who is the person he should love, and fear is the reason there was no love.

"Just remember I will always love you, Even as I tear your fucking throat away. But it will end no other way."

Even until the end, maynard will love him, but he is expressing his hatred twords him by using murder/death as an example.

I think this song is about his father/son relationship, but this is just what I think.

dsl
08-05-2003, 08:18 PM
Might be, Maynard did have some problems with his father figure. This song has sooooo many interpretations, most about relationships, theres one about rough sex, but whatever the hell it means it is still one of the best Tool songs ever.

Mehhico
08-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Yeah, this song seems to be sooo specific, but at the same time, can be interpreted many different ways.
Cornelius, that is a pretty good idea about this song, but I couldn't help but recall a discussion I had a while ago with someone on here about Maynard's mother leaving his dad because it didn't work out, and Maynard going with his mother. This is all speculation, but supposedly his mother "fed" Maynard lies about his father so that he wouldn't want to see him. Maybe those lies are represented in Pushit and the result of those lies is the gap between father and son.
I don't know if the WHOLE song will go along these lines, though, as I am trying hard to slot in lines such as the final few.
Good thoughts.

Kind regards,
Andy

dsl
08-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Thats all true but as a father figure Maynard had a step father he VERY much disliked (Prison Sex anyone?), but on a side note, Mehhico, that is one bitchin' avatar. Wish mine was that cool, but I had to choose one that at least sorta resembled me...

Mehhico
08-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Are you being sarcastic about the avatar?

If so, fair enough.

If not, thank you. It is my best portrait........ever. In fact, I do working drawings and house designs as a living, and some of my clients pay me with substances akin to my avatar. Aahh, what a life.

oh, and that is another interesting point about MJK's step father. I read about that a while ago also, and that could very well be a concideration. Referring to Prison Sex, it gives a pretty good foundation to lines such as "Theres no love in fear". Now that I think about it, most, if not all, of the lyrics from Pushit could be the continuation of Prison Sex (eg- "Hands are on my back AGAIN), or has someone said all of this before?

I think my personal favourite is the one about the "gap" being between what our society has labelled us and who we or our "true" selves are. The song entails the struggle and dissociation we have with ourselves through the eyes and pressures of our society.

Anyhoo, take care of yourselves,
Andy

dsl
08-07-2003, 11:03 AM
No sarcasm there, seriously. Pretty cool actually. Those are some good points

Cyanide ChrYst
07-23-2004, 09:15 AM
First of all how old is Maynard's son? That written poem itself is probably more than 4 years old as the album is around 3 years old. I thought his son was just a little kid; so it's possible he wrote it before his son was bored.

Here's a new thought: You can apply ANY idea to ANY song in the entire world. Unless that song says the word 'kid' or 'son', you're probably wrong. :thumbs up: Let me explain.

This song is about a peanut butter sandwich and how Maynard wants to eat it, but cant.

He opens his eyes after a long slumber. Staring into the bright sun that shines through his window; he can only see black and white. Then he sees other colors and shit as he focuses more. "Drawn beyond the lines of reason"able hunger. "Argh! Teh Hungl0r!" Maynard moans as he stumbles to the kitchen.

He's gonna push the envelope by smearing WAY more peanut butter on that sandwich than he normally does. But who's gonna stop him? He's a badass.

He's thinking, "Is this too much peanut butter?" and then realizes, "oh shit. I'm overanalyzing the situation, just like all of my halfwit fans at the toolboard. Why not just eat the sandwich? Why dont they just appreciate the lyrics and stop trying to tag on completely bullshit meanings? It's like they cant read what they type!"

His intuition is telling him that peanut butter is old, but since his intuition is withered like my sack after a good day at the beach, he eats it anyway. Oh fuck; there goes his opportunity to watch football; he's sick and goes back to sleep.

Then he wakes up again and sees more colors and shit. Maybe his wife stuffed her shrooms into the JIF jar to avoid the son seeing it.

In his lethargy, he wakes up and completely forgets he had a sandwich in the first place; stumbles and repeats the second chorus.

"Feed my will to feel this moment...urging me to cross the lines of when I should have a glass of milk. Reaching out to embrace the caaarton, reaching out to embrace - the - two - percent - milk."

Now the shrooms are taking their full effect. He's feeling the rhythm and feeling connected enough to dance around in his pajamas like I do after a nice hit of Salvia.
He weeps because hell, sometimes mushrooms just make you cry over shit.

Now he's swinging on the spirals....swing on the spiraaaals to...swing on the spirals of the staircase banister and...still be a huuuumaaaaan.

:fun wah-pedal solo:
:/fun wah-pedal solo:

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds of peanut butter smearing on my wonder white bread; It feels so good. I'm reaching up, and reaching out, I'm reaching for another glass because I'm high and smashed the first; there's glass all the fuck over the floor.
I hope my son doesn't trip on this shit, because he'll cry and be like "father I've gone where no-one's been". I'll have to take his ass to the hospital because he thought he'd be badass and step on this shit.

Spiral down...the...banister.
Spiral down...I'm...dizzy.

Ummm, see? That wasnt so hard. I cant believe none of you figured that out before. This song is TOTALLY about peanut butter based on my halfwit closet-grown assumptions that since Ive been listening to TOOL since '95, I know exactly where Maynard is coming from in his musings.

Morons.

bored&numb
07-25-2004, 08:05 PM
First of all how old is Maynard's son? That written poem itself is probably more than 4 years old as the album is around 3 years old. I thought his son was just a little kid; so it's possible he wrote it before his son was bored.

Here's a new thought: You can apply ANY idea to ANY song in the entire world. Unless that song says the word 'kid' or 'son', you're probably wrong. :thumbs up: Let me explain.

This song is about a peanut butter sandwich and how Maynard wants to eat it, but cant.

He opens his eyes after a long slumber. Staring into the bright sun that shines through his window; he can only see black and white. Then he sees other colors and shit as he focuses more. "Drawn beyond the lines of reason"able hunger. "Argh! Teh Hungl0r!" Maynard moans as he stumbles to the kitchen.

He's gonna push the envelope by smearing WAY more peanut butter on that sandwich than he normally does. But who's gonna stop him? He's a badass.

He's thinking, "Is this too much peanut butter?" and then realizes, "oh shit. I'm overanalyzing the situation, just like all of my halfwit fans at the toolboard. Why not just eat the sandwich? Why dont they just appreciate the lyrics and stop trying to tag on completely bullshit meanings? It's like they cant read what they type!"

His intuition is telling him that peanut butter is old, but since his intuition is withered like my sack after a good day at the beach, he eats it anyway. Oh fuck; there goes his opportunity to watch football; he's sick and goes back to sleep.

Then he wakes up again and sees more colors and shit. Maybe his wife stuffed her shrooms into the JIF jar to avoid the son seeing it.

In his lethargy, he wakes up and completely forgets he had a sandwich in the first place; stumbles and repeats the second chorus.

"Feed my will to feel this moment...urging me to cross the lines of when I should have a glass of milk. Reaching out to embrace the caaarton, reaching out to embrace - the - two - percent - milk."

Now the shrooms are taking their full effect. He's feeling the rhythm and feeling connected enough to dance around in his pajamas like I do after a nice hit of Salvia.

Now he's swinging on the spirals....swing on the spiraaaals to...swing on the spirals of the staircase banister and...still be a huuuumaaaaan.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds of peanut butter smearing on my wonder white bread; It feels so good. I'm reaching up, and reaching out, I'm reaching for another glass because I'm high and smashed the first; there's glass all the fuck over the floor.
I hope my son doesn't trip on this shit, because he'll cry and be like "father I've gone where no-one's been". I'll have to take his ass to the hospital because he thought he'd be badass and step on this shit.

Ummm, see? That wasnt so hard. I cant believe none of you figured that out before. This song is TOTALLY about peanut butter based on my halfwit closet-grown assumptions that since Ive been listening to TOOL since '95, I know exactly where Maynard is coming from in his musings.

Morons.

i haven't laughed that fuckin hard at anything in forever. thank you so much.

Dubya
08-03-2004, 08:01 AM

Morons.

Dude that was awesome. Even if you applyied it to the wrong song.

pops333
09-07-2004, 09:24 PM

Morons.

all I can think to say is: wow. you self-righteous, fucking sycophant, nose-in-the-ass, music elitist. you're just mad because those dudes' posts weren't inquiring about maynard's dick size or if he likes it in the butt (which I hear that he does). Sure, some people on here are kind of dumbasses, but you my friend, are king dumbass of jerkoff mountain.

What's that I read between the lines? Oh yeah, a little bitch got pwn3d

Raev'n
09-11-2004, 02:49 AM
Fuck you are an asshole. I was going through some random threads when this thread caught my eye. Pushit is one of my faveourite songs. Now, although Cyanide did put it in the wrong song it's still wicked. Do you go round looking for this guys' threads to flame him? For an "adult" that's pretty childish.

"What's that I read between the lines? Oh yeah, a little bitch got pwn3d"

pops333
09-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Fuck you are an asshole. I was going through some random threads when this thread caught my eye. Pushit is one of my faveourite songs. Now, although Cyanide did put it in the wrong song it's still wicked. Do you go round looking for this guys' threads to flame him? For an "adult" that's pretty childish.

"What's that I read between the lines? Oh yeah, a little bitch got pwn3d"

that ain't no pwning my friend. His post was asinine and totally out of touch with reality. And are you sure you were going through random threads, are you sure you didn't search for me?

And when did I ever claim to be an adult?

CyberWolf
10-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Lol... I applied Parabola to eating a cookie once.. but that wasn't difficult at all.. XD And this isn't the Parabola board so I'll leave it to your imaganations.. As for whoever started this topic, Hell, Maybe it is about his kid. I wasn't really aware Maynard had a kid anyways. This song can be applied to things so easily though. Songs like this and Parabola I sometimes think Maynard didn't have a 'true' meaning behind, he just decided to write something that could be looked at many ways, but no real intended meaning at all..

Raev'n
10-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Parabola with a cookie?! How?

Steve-o
10-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey i only recently got the lyrics for this song cos i like it so much and to be honest they surprised me. but i guess it was the melody of the singing which makes this song amazing i guess especially the live version. but some people look way to deep into it....

Cyanide ChrYst
10-21-2004, 02:55 PM
To those of you who enjoy the Cyanide Theory, thank you. You have the minds of the future.

To pops333, who now no longer posts here...meh. Your opinion means dick to me.

zerocharisma
12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
A looooong time ago, back when the opinion page was plain white with ASCII text, there were some hilarious theories about "stinkfist", one having something to do with a dog eating a potato chip, or something equally silly. it rocked