PDA

View Full Version : Meaning? The best song...possibly?

MyshadowHASchanged
07-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I have been listening to this song a lot lately because it sums up my mood quite well. To me this song is, well obviously about grudges. But it is much deeper than that. Its about how we handle grudges...almost like were little kids about it. When a person (even yourself) holds a grudge they are set in their ways and don't want anything to do with the other person. They want them to give in first and admit to their mistakes because they know they are right.

'Wear the grudge like a crown of negativity. Calculate what we will or will not tolerate. Desperate to control all and everything. Unable to forgive your scarlet lettermen.' You hold that grudge nd you wear it like a badge of honor because it does not fall on you. You want the power to force the other person against their will.

Then my favorite line of the song...
'Clutch it like a cornerstone. Otherwise it all comes down. Justify denials and grip 'em to the lonesome end.' If I go down then I sure as ell am taking you with me because I have a tight grip and part of what you do. Thats just what I think.

Is this the best song on lateralus? I would probably have to say yes! Either that or lateralus itself. Anyone got any opinions or feedback?

rrobb911
08-22-2007, 04:58 AM
I never really thought of it that way, but I like it. Easily one of the best, it's too hard to pick just one.

Davidow
08-24-2007, 03:00 PM
I can't pick one song from lateralus and say it's the best, all the songs are connected in a way that makes the album an emotional and spiritual journey;it doesn't sound like bunch of good songs are put in the album just like that.

ivasativa
08-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I definitely always understood that same meaning in th grudge, actually around the time lateralus came out, i was at a phase when i was really getting tired of ever holding grudges and other peoples grudges became really funny to me, so I just related the song to that. But who knows what Lord MJ might have wanted to say lol.
Anyway now when i actually think about it, every spiritual road starts just about with loosing the grudge. If you dont take that step you're simply clutched in a grudge and communication will not flow.

Of course , MJ's great design, to start the album with that song.

dirkz
08-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Best album opener of all-time, im0.

I'm not sure if I like this or Dispostion more though. Depends on my mood.