PDA

View Full Version : disturbing article about major record labels and artists

Un Lapin
08-05-2003, 04:40 PM
http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

as some of you may know, steve albini produced "In Utero" and a bunch of other shyte.

it's pretty discouraging but also may partly explain why indie labels are enjoying a rennaisance

twistfinger
08-06-2003, 09:02 AM
that shit just makes me want to quit the band i'm in. at least now ya know what you're looking at. fucking pigs.

Riicek
08-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Hmm...there's a simple solution to all of this...

DON'T sign anything unless you know what the fuck you're doing.

holy reality
08-06-2003, 09:49 AM

exactly

and DON'T BE IN IT FOR THE MONEY

Riicek
08-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Sometimes i think people are dumb enough to sign their children into slavery, if handed a piece of paper by a man in a suit, and a fountain pen, then get pissed about it. People just need to learn to read.

Un Lapin
08-06-2003, 02:54 PM

it's easy for us all to say that right now, but go back and read the bit about the "memo of intent." it doesn't look like a contract but is just as legally binding.

but yeah, you are right. if you are in a band that wants to go all the way, be sure to work a music lawyer into your budget...

Un Lapin
08-06-2003, 02:55 PM

PS. that is not a solution to "all of this"

PPS. there is no "simple solution to all of this"

Riicek
08-06-2003, 06:00 PM
it's easy for us all to say that right now, but go back and read the bit about the "memo of intent." it doesn't look like a contract but is just as legally binding.

but yeah, you are right. if you are in a band that wants to go all the way, be sure to work a music lawyer into your budget...

It's easy to say it then as well. If it's legally binding, then it says so on the document. EVERYTHING that they are "bound" to is on the document. If they read it, then they know what they are getting into. I did read the memo of intent thing, and it's no different from a contract. If people would just read what they are signing, or hire someone who knows what they are doing, then they wouldn't have this problem.