PDA

View Full Version : Forty-Six & 2 or Right in Two Drum solo?

nellyson25
07-18-2007, 10:46 AM
What solo do you think is better?

Forty-Six & 2 or Right in Two.

nellyson25
07-18-2007, 10:48 AM
personlly i like the right in two solo. i love them both but forty-six & 2 is more of just a sick drum beat that changes and has cool fills. Right in two is different try to do that solo. even tho its all on the same drum, its very complex. i say right in two. anyone else?

dirkz
07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Right in Two.

The fact that it's more of a a rhythm solo. I like that he doesn't use his whole drum set, but still plays all these amazing rhythms on just a few tablas.

MyshadowHASchanged
07-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Yeah I would probably say Forty Six & Two for this one because it was better live. It is close when comparing the two studio recordings. I have heard both songs live and they are uber good but to me it just edges RIT out.

miketh74
08-04-2007, 05:51 PM
I would have to say the solo for 46 & 2.....primarily because the solo works so well with Adam's riff and guitar slide during the double kick. The ending of the Grudge is a whole other monster. That solo is like what I've heard commented on before.....utter destruction!! Ends like a great fireworks finale.

Luosdasa
08-05-2007, 12:21 AM
right in two. 46&2 is a much better song i think. but the solo is all right in two boasts for me, turns it from a bellow average song into a good one

rrobb911
08-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Right in two mainly because it is almost all tabla. Tabla's are much cooler sounding that regular drums. It also builds up the intensity and makes for a good transition.

miketh74
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
But DC wasn't heavily influenced by tabla and Aloke Dutta at the time Aenima was recorded.

Right in Two drum solo fits perfectly with the song as does the 46 & 2 solo. I guess I can't say one is better than the other.

Acid0.1
08-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Amazingly my dad liked the Tabla solo in Right in Two. Same thoughts here, Danny has a way with the tabbla, pretty cool stuff happening there.

SpeiranVaun
08-30-2007, 05:59 AM
I really can't compare the two. I mean, really... one is using the full drumset, and the other is just two of those mandala drums.

I think I like them both equally...

... but I'm lying. I ENJOY the 46+2 solo more.

miketh74
09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I really can't compare the two. I mean, really... one is using the full drumset, and the other is just two of those mandala drums.

I think I like them both equally...

... but I'm lying. I ENJOY the 46+2 solo more.

LMAO......funny, my thoughts exactly. I crank up the 46 & 2 drum solo every time it comes on.

court jester
11-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Right in Two drum solo by a country mile.

DON IOTAE
11-26-2007, 09:42 AM
im split right in two on this one...

orangeisgoood
11-26-2007, 09:21 PM
i like the 46 & 2 solo better. but it's defiantly NOT my favorite solo out of every other solo that I've heard. my (all time) faveorite solo has to be.. the one in coheed & cambria welcome home. (the only good song they ever made)

miketh74
11-27-2007, 07:00 AM
im split right in two on this one...

LOL......good one.

:)

DON IOTAE
11-27-2007, 07:50 AM
:P

miketh74
11-27-2007, 12:39 PM
The ending to The Grudge is the bomb diggity.

:)

DON IOTAE
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
beautiful destruction lol

miketh74
12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
46&2 imo... It's just a wider, more filling sound.

The Grudge solo is a finale. The 46 & 2 solo is more of a break, like a "fill". I lean more towards The Grudge b/c most of the songs DC ends with a solo is like...........

beautiful destruction. LOL

Both are awesome.

miketh74
12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I listened to both while driving to work yesterday. I don't know, I just like all the rolls on the toms in the 46&2 solo better.

There's more rolls on the toms in The Grudge man. More complicated too.

I'm not putting anything down about 46 & 2, but the solo sounds more like awesome "fills".

Angel on the Sideline
12-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Right in Two.

miketh74
12-06-2007, 08:15 PM
I know there's more rolls, and I know it's more complicated. I just personally prefer 46&2.

Jesus christ, quit trying to contest my opinion.

Then don't contest mine. I think I said that both were awesome. So, you think me saying the 46 & 2 solo has more fills is contesting your opinion? Isn't that really my opinion? Actually, I believe 46 & 2 is a better song. If you disagree with that....are you contesting me? IT'S AN OPINION!!!

Jesus Christ, chill out.

miketh74
12-09-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm pretty chill, dude, I'd advise you listen to your own advice first.

I never at any point attacked your opinion, I just stated what I thought about my choice. Meanwhile you just keep going on and on about why the 46&2 solo isn't even a solo as if it's going to suddenly change my mind. Let it drop already imo.

There's no contest here. I just challenged your idea. I have stated several times that the drum break in 46 & 2 is a solo. Just because I disagree I'm contesting your opinion or I'm a DUMBASS right? For fuck sake....I NEVER CONTESTED YOUR FUCKIN OPINION!! WHY DON'T YOU LET IT GO? And what's your problem with me anyway? To be completely honest, you're the first person in here that accused me of shooting down opinions.

Stenrose
12-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Ironic isn't it?

edit:
Angel on the Sideline seems to have caught a trace of irony in this as well, hehe.

seemyshadowchanging
12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
What solo do you think is better?

Forty-Six & 2 or Right in Two.

46 & 2 without a doubt.Way better song and a whole lot better solo.

Tool_Is_Sick
12-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Forty-Six & 2 gives me a feeling that I can not explain..Right in Two is an awesome song but if I were to vote on the song/drum solo...My vote is for Forty-Six & 2.

That song Owns.

miketh74
12-14-2007, 08:25 PM
46 & 2.........one of the best songs ever. IMO

toolwithapenis
12-17-2007, 10:26 AM
46 right in two FTW
splice both solos together

theremin_scape
04-02-2008, 01:23 AM
how can you compare these songs. it's easier to compare dali paintings, or similarly, alex grey paintings (some of grey', i just don't like, the rest it's difficult choosing one over the other). if you don't like one of the songs, alright, then that is totally understandable and you've wasted your time reading this post. but if you actually enjoy both, how can one of them actually be considered better? they are both masterpieces, in their own right.

NMoB
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
46 & 2.

slamminsalmon
07-24-2008, 02:09 PM
have any of you noticed theres a part from 46&2 at the end of right in two?

Schema
07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Difficult. Forty-Six & 2 has more raw power, but there's more to Tool than raw power. Right In Two is mostly a big build-up, while 46&2 is just the explosion. It's still good, but I think Right In Two is better.

base metal
09-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Right In Two solo is better when high. Seriously though, I like RIT more for the dynamics Danny incorporates, but I have to tip my hat for 46&2, not only for kicking ass, but the way he manages to inject so much power into the tom rolls... especially live.

trey5winds
11-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I like both for different reasons. "Forty-Six & 2" is certainly unique and one of my favourites to hear live. As a spontaneous solo which showcases power, ambidexterity, daring and challenge in a seemingly ad hoc way, I think it's absolutely wonderful.

But the "Right In Two" solo has subtlety. It's very textured and layered. It doesn't scream it's balls off at you; it draws you to it through it's sheer lowness of volume. There's power there, but more in the "orderliness" of power and conscious choice rather than the explosive drama of "Forty-Six & 2's" relatively brief drum break.

It's almost as if you could ignore the fact that it is a solo; i.e., the average listener who knows nothing about TOOL wouldn't notice it as a solo per se and would just simply consider it a part of the music - a view which has its benefits.

It's also somewhat reserved; we all know Danny can do more. And on the live dates of this tour (particularly the show I saw), he expanded on and expounded the solo live without losing many of the qualities that the album version has (except for acoustics, but hey - that's touring for you).

So, my vote goes for "Right In Two" merely to show how far Danny really has come as a drummer and soloist. It's good to know that as one of the few bands who has a drummer that can solo, he only puts out GOOD solos when he does them.

Kody27
11-06-2008, 08:23 AM
First of all, that's not even Danny playing the solo in RIT. It's Aloke. Now, as far as Danny's actual drumming goes, RIT blows 46&2 out of the water, and I'm not talking about the irrelevant, but beautiful, tabla solo (irrelevant because Aloke plays it). Danny reproduces as best as he can Aloke's tabla on his mandala's live but it's def Aloke on the album version. But if you listen to Danny's playing in the background right afterwards, it's amazing, to me anyway, on more levels than Danny could even comprehend when he wrote 46&2.

base metal
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
In either case, he owned the tabla/mandala breakdown live.

henri_ds
11-15-2008, 03:47 PM
First of all, that's not even Danny playing the solo in RIT. It's Aloke. Now, as far as Danny's actual drumming goes, RIT blows 46&2 out of the water, and I'm not talking about the irrelevant, but beautiful, tabla solo (irrelevant because Aloke plays it). Danny reproduces as best as he can Aloke's tabla on his mandala's live but it's def Aloke on the album version. But if you listen to Danny's playing in the background right afterwards, it's amazing, to me anyway, on more levels than Danny could even comprehend when he wrote 46&2.

Oh what are your sources ?

I've been playing tabla for 2 years now, and let me tell you, the RIT solo IS played through samples and mandala pad. With the sound it has and some of the feel dynamics, there's no way it's played with real tablas, you would know this if you had ever seen HOW a tabla player actually plays.. I've heard a lot of live tablists and I can tell you this.

inSin
12-11-2008, 02:21 PM
i personally like danny's solo on pushit live version better than right in two. but listening to the 46n2 solo makes me realize how electronic danny has become. i miss his rawness with his old sets. well i guess i can get that through VOLTO!

Inner_Eulogy
12-12-2008, 10:31 AM

I've been playing tabla for 2 years now, and let me tell you, the RIT solo IS played through samples and mandala pad. With the sound it has and some of the feel dynamics, there's no way it's played with real tablas, you would know this if you had ever seen HOW a tabla player actually plays.. I've heard a lot of live tablists and I can tell you this.

I agree, Kody doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. I saw this song live and it was Danny playing this.

hemiola
12-13-2008, 10:49 AM
and it's danny on the album too.

Omega
12-28-2008, 06:54 PM

'Oh what are your sources'

That's the funny part. He has none.

Kody27
03-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I agree, Kody doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. I saw this song live and it was Danny playing this.

Aloke Dutta himself is playing tablas in the 10,000 days album. Danny only plays the triggers, mandalas, live because he can't probably can't play real tablas that well, even though he rocks them out on adrian belews side one. haven't you people read this by now? Danny carey actually recorded some of aloke duttas live shows and produced them.

Kody27
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I can't really relate because I have no idea as to what is going on here so I'll throw in my 2 cents and hope someone gets a boner.

That's ok Rivek, I still like you a little bit.

Kody27
03-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Dude, just stop. I have hundreds of songs on tabla that are exponentially more complex than the RIT tabla part. I'd be happy to share them with you, Zakir Hussein, Ustad Allah Raka(sp?), Tanmoy Bose. Maybe you need to check with your expert friend again and let him give you some more of his expert advice, or you can check these artists out yourself and hear for yourself how RIT doesn't hold a candle to what some of the master tabla players can do with just one hand. And that's not an exaggeration at all, I own a pair of tablas myself and I'm only just now starting to get the hang of their counting systems.

Kody27
03-14-2009, 02:04 PM
You don't own any tablas nor do you actually listen to tabla music. enjoy your hand.

Actually I have a nickel bayan, and wooden dayan of course, but you wouldn't know anything about tablas because you think RIT can't be done on them. I hate having to prove myself to assholes, but I'll post a picture of me with them if you must insist on being a pompous skeptic about everything you ignorant twat.

I happen to love classical indian music, and other indian related projects like tabla beat science. i recommend you check them out if you like insane stream of consciousness eastern trance. If not, enjoy your hand as well!

Kody27
03-15-2009, 08:25 AM
You looked those things up on google or wikipedia.

also you don't play tabla.

Haha it's amazing how stubborn you are. The question is, why should I care if you believe me or not? Do you really want me to put you to shame in front of everybody? I think I'll just let you marinate in your own usual juices of false assumption and then link you to my myspace just so you'll shut the fuck up already.

Kody27
03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
If there is anyone playing tabla on your myspace, it is someone else. You don't play tabla.

Are all red heads this stubborn or are you just jealous that I actually do play tablas? I'm kinda good at them when I just freestyle, I don't know how to read Indian music yet. They're not some mystical magical instrument that only genius masters can play, they're just two drums dude, what's the big deal about me playing them? I even bought Aloke Dutta's "Rhythm of Tabla" book off of his site before he made them into e-books. If there are multiple pictures of me, on my myspace, and then a picture of me with tablas, then what? What you could you possibly say to that? Photoshop? I don't think so, you're not even worth the effort.

Kody27
03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
that's what i thought, like a dear in the headlights your underlying fear only subsides when you back out at the last second. I "win". Dumbass

tool25
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
sibling rivalry

Kody27
03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I take everything rivek says with a grain of salt, since he can't really be that dumb and he must obviously just be saying the most retarded shit just to rile me up. Or there's the other option, the one where rivek's online ego gets bruised and battered and he has to pretend like he doesn't care or else he'll seem weak even though he's wrong about most of his assumptions anyway, I tell ya, the price you pay with a silver tongue is zero intuition!

Kody27
03-16-2009, 10:38 PM
If proving you wrong makes me look kewl, then yeah I'm pretty rad. This has nothing to do with me, I was simply stating that I know the RIT solo can be played on tablas because I love tabla music and yes I have some. I never said I knew how to play like the masters, or even play official indian music at all, all i said was that i freestyled, chill out. Once again, i am trying to discuss something about tool and we get completely off topic.

dekline
04-24-2009, 08:25 AM
46 and 2 hands down!