PDA

View Full Version : Relevance of live lyric change

O.G.T.92
07-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Maynard lets crowd sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" And he says "Much better you than I." Originally I thought it was because of the high notes, but he doesn't do that (at least not on a regular basis). And it occurred to me, He's saying Much better you than I as a response, better everyone there dies before him. Fits the song to be done this way. Absolute selfishness.

Inner_Eulogy
07-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Maynard lets crowd sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" And he says "Much better you than I." Originally I thought it was because of the high notes, but he doesn't do that (at least not on a regular basis). And it occurred to me, He's saying Much better you than I as a response, better everyone there dies before him. Fits the song to be done this way. Absolute selfishness.

Dude, what's your address so I can send you a big Captain Obvious sticker...

parables in the world
07-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Well people were complaining...but I see it as he doesn't live vicariously.

Arkham Asylum
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
LOLZ0Rz and get this, he sings "reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace whatever may come" right before the wackytaffy RAnDOM drum solo!!!1111

So clever how Maynard hints at shit. He should have hosted Reading Rainbow.

O.G.T.92
07-17-2007, 05:31 PM
I thought it was rather obvious too..... please don't send me anything.

imatoolhed
07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Dude, what's your address so I can send you a big Captain Obvious sticker...

lololz

+1

Kangaroo_hung_me2
07-18-2007, 05:59 PM
nice. i thought of this too after watchin a few videos online.

phishman1
08-29-2007, 10:35 AM
bullshit. He doesn't sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" anymore because it kills his voice. Why ruin your voice if it affects the next 2 or 3 shows?

benjamin
08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Well people were complaining...but I see it as he doesn't live vicariously.Totally. I can hardly bring myself to sing with this song because of the same feeling, I don't live vicariousely...

However, I heard him sing this very part loud and clear in my hometown???

I'm sure it's an issue with his throat, give the guy a break.

Hodge
08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
bullshit. He doesn't sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies" anymore because it kills his voice. Why ruin your voice if it affects the next 2 or 3 shows?

quoted for truth

just look at the setlist...schism, 46n2, stinkfist

all staples because they don't strain his voice

the midas touch
08-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Totally. I can hardly bring myself to sing with this song because of the same feeling, I don't live vicariousely...

Have you ever watched a movie/listened to a song and had your feeling change?
Watch a movie and feel sad?
Watch a sports game and feel tired afterwards?

Living vicariously.

Eulogy33
08-29-2007, 04:18 PM
hmm...well, it wasnt obvious to me until i read this thread.

]v[edusa
08-29-2007, 04:31 PM
yah... I never really thought of it like that, its a good point. I also thought he did that so that it wouldn't kill his voice.

benjamin
08-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Living vicariously.Ah, not like the song implies, you are correct.

EDIT: I don't live vicariously like that, in a literal sadistic way. "why don't we just admit it?" -cuz I don't live that way. But, in an entertaining and healthy situation, sure ...when intended.

ps: Your point is valid.

parables in the world
08-30-2007, 09:58 AM
i figured out now that it's a part where the audience would interact....like also He didn't sing the LaLaLa la la lalie part when they came here.

jim39n
11-22-2007, 09:23 PM
'We ALL feed on tragedy...why can't we just admit it" I don't think he's putting himself above the crowd, so much as pointing out something that he sees as an intrinsic part of human nature.

wearethestories
11-26-2007, 04:41 PM

Living vicariously.

actually... that's experiencing catharsis, which isn't exactly living vicariously through something else. and the point of the song is not that we all live vicariously through media, but that we live vicariously off of the death/destruction of others --- our news shows nothing but constant violence and people seem to get off on this.

we're not talking about crying at the end of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet", but a more masturbatory reaction to the taking of human life.

guitarguru85
12-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't think that this song is so much about deriving any sort of joy from watching violence as much as watching violence on television/movies/etc. satiates the naturally violent part of our human nature. That we all have violence in ourselves and that we vicariously satiate that need by watching other people do it. Better you kill that guy than me, I am still innocent, but I got a rush by watching you do it. I think that is the point of Maynard's lyrics.