Defeated, I concede and
Move closer
I may find comfort here
I may find peace within the emptiness
How pitiful

It's calling me...

And in my darkest moment, fetal and weeping
The moon tells me a secret - my confidant

---- This part is about someone, possibly Maynard, hours before some kind of exam/test. They don't know the material and can't concentrate on the books, so they concede and look to the moon for the source of information. The moon is a metaphor for wikipedia.

As full and bright as I am
This light is not my own and
A million light reflections pass over me

Its source is bright and endless
She resuscitates the hopeless
Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting

---- This is describing wikipedia, and how all of the information comes from somewhere else - none of it was created by wikipedia. Light = information. This light is not my own = someone external to wikipedia put that information on there. Source is bright and endless = anything and everytrhing can be put on wikipedia. She resuscitates the hopeless = as I explained above, it helped Maynard out with an exam. Without her, he would have failed.

And as I pull my head out I am without one doubt
Don't wanna be down here feeding my narcissism.
I must crucify the ego before it's far too late
I pray the light lifts me out
Before I pine away.

---- Maynard has to crucify the ego and realise that he has no chance of passing this test himself, and must therefore enlist the help of wikipedia and pray that the information on there will help him = I pray the light lifts me out.

So crucify the ego, before it's far too late
To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical,
And you will come to find that we are all one mind
Capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
Just let the light touch you
And let the words spill through
And let them pass right through
Bringing out our hope and reason ...
before we pine away.

---- Same as above, Maynard has realised that he must get help from wikipedia in order to pass. To leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical = he logs onto wikipedia and therefore leaves behind the world of negativity, blindness (ignorance, not having the knowledge) and cynicism (thinking that he will fail). And you will come to find that we are all one mind = wikipedia is essentially one big brain, as all information is stored on there and can be accessed at any time by anyone. Let the light touch you/words spill through/pass right through = read and take in the light that the moon gives. Bringing out our hope and reason = gives Maynard hope that he will pass this test. Before he pines away, and gives up.

junkie
07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
good work man. i can completely relate to all of that. just last month i was reading the wikipedia articles for Utopia and The Prince before my exam having not read the books the night before, and still got a 2:1. we are as a generation of learners are blessed.

Arkham Asylum
07-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Ingromikon, that was priceless. Thank you. Regardless of the fact that Wikipedia was founded just a few months before the release of Lateralus, your post made my day.

(I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just big on unconventional and humorous interpretations of Tool.)

EDIT: best first post ever.

Marquizzo
07-11-2007, 12:40 AM
HAHAHAHA!!! This interpretation is awesome! Like Arkham said, Wikipedia wasn't the same back in 2000, when this song was written. Nonetheless, I applaud your application of the lyrics to your personal experiences. They fit perfectly to "We are all one mind"

INGROMIKON
07-11-2007, 06:58 AM
In reference to it not being the same, I believe Maynard was a prophet, and being the progressively minded individual that he is, knew what it would turn into.

Also, the wikipedia logo is a big jigsaw with some pieces missing. This is clearly referenced in Schism.

Arkham Asylum
07-11-2007, 07:15 AM
In reference to it not being the same, I believe Maynard was a prophet, and being the progressively minded individual that he is, knew what it would turn into.

Also, the wikipedia logo is a big jigsaw with some pieces missing. This is clearly referenced in Schism.

Haha this is just getting better and better.

This might help with the "Reflection" lyrics:

light = information

Coincidentally, this only cements your Wikipedia theory.

P.S. Wiki didn't always have that logo, but I applaud nonetheless. Maybe Maynard is Doc Brown...just without the hair.

Inner_Eulogy
07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
If I don't have anything nice to say well, this one time I just won't say it.

RachJacob
08-15-2007, 02:15 PM

I have always said that we have to be true to the meanings that make the most sense to us personally. I also believe that it is extremely important to learn and move forward or integrate/include meanings that may change your perspectives to a deeper level of understanding (shedding more light to our consciousness). The factor that allows us to see things differently depends on the individuals level of receptiveness.
Reflections to me, is the ability to look back at yourself with a different perspective to either allow yourself to move forward by putting new meaning/understanding to a specific moment in time, especially the moments that create emotion.
As I would agree that your perspective is a realistic one, I feel it's to shallow for a serious debate.

ivasativa
08-15-2007, 02:31 PM
that post sounds like some real good weed to me.

abeobass
09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
If I don't have anything nice to say well, this one time I just won't say it.

nice try but i think this post has it summed up

Kasadian
06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
so what happens when wikipedia becomes self aware? wikerminators? termiwikis?